Coach watch

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Re: Coach watch

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:50 am

GoLU90 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:34 am So I have been told a name from someone I trust and someone who has the connections to know what's going on at Lehigh. However, some quick research tells me this would be a huge get for Lehigh. Perhaps too big to be real. I'm going to refrain from posting his name because I can't say for sure, I don't want to get my source in any trouble, and I don't want to jeopardize anything for Lehigh or this coach.

I will say he is currently an OC with connections to this area, but not to Lehigh. His name has not been mentioned here yet. So it is not Higgins or Stambaugh (or Ron Jean. I guess I'm the only one who wanted to see Ron back at Goodman. He is a wellness coach now :lol: ).

Hopefully we know soon. I hate to be that guy who holds back but at least it's something. I know people have been speculating about past coaches and wondering whether Lehigh would go offense or defense. On the off chance the info. I gave is enough for someone to guess the name, I won't be confirming or denying any names ;) .
My first thought is Tim Cramsey. Current OC at Marshall and former Montana State and Sam Houston State OC. He's from Allentown, went to ACC.

JimLU81

Post by JimLU81 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:17 pm

Guys I read this forum quite frequently but have never posted. My feelings are that this forum does more negative than positive for Lehigh Football given all of the negative comments. I am a Lehigh Football Alum, and support all Lehigh alums however every time a job is open people on this forum suggest a “Lehigh Alum” even when they have no experience at all. It is scary to think that this is our fan base. If Lehigh we to hire a Head Football Coach who has a career record of 17-38 this forum would explode screaming for Joe Sterrett to be fired. But because the same guy with that record caught a lot of passes for Lehigh in the 1990s it’s ok? What has he done? The Lehigh Offense has actually been better statistically since Dave has left. Dave did not have the numbers of the 2016/2017 offenses. Dave was here when we had a very good D Coor. The Pioneer League is all the same nobody has scholarships and Dave could not and did not turn it around there. In fact if we had his 5 year span at Lehigh he would have been fired!!! But because he caught a lot of passes we should hire him??

Tom Gilmore was FIRED by a team in our conference. The same team embarrassed us this year and if Lehigh hires a D2 Coach (or in our case someone not associated with Lehigh) this forum would be on fire.

We need an open and thorough search and quite frankly we do NOT need or want Dave Cecchini, Tom Gilmore, Phil Stambaugh, Ron Jean, or any other Lehigh Alum just because they were great players. I say this being a Lehigh Football Alum who supports all of those guys. But quite honestly they are not qualified.

I am very close to Lehigh Football and alumni base. To be honest the general consensus is if we hire Dave Cecchini than we should drop the program to Division 3 because hiring him is the easy thing to do and shows that we do not care about football anymore.
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:03 pm

+1, +2, +3
TMH

Post by TMH » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:49 pm

JimLU81,
Welcome to the discussion. I hope you continue to participate. This is a forum for ideas and though not everything that is said is positive, I prefer discussion over apathy. That's when we really have something to worry about.

My mind is wide open in terms of the next head coach and I'm sure Joe will do his due diligence. With that said, my preference will always be with a defensive minded HC along with a solid OC. Lehigh has been an offensive juggernaut for a long, long time but our true success has come when we played solid defense. Interestingly Kevin Higgins did not have great success as a defensive coordinator because Small;s focus had always been on offense. Defense however became a focus when Higgins took over and the rest is history.
I like Tom Gilmore for the following reasons.
During his stint as DC, the team was 39-9 and Lehigh had outstanding defenses each year. He was named the top assistant coach in all FCS one season.
Speaking of dumpster fires, Holy Cross was 1-11 in 2003. Over the next 3 years they improved to 3, 6 and 7 wins. Over the next 5 years, they never finished lower than 2nd, winning the PL in 2009. It was only then that the wheels came off.
If we can't fix our defense though, our upside will be severely limited.

Just my opinion
RichH

Post by RichH » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:31 pm

Welcome Jim. When things go south fans bitch. Sometimes unreasonably so. But, I agree with TMH . The fans here may be rabid at times but always involved. Apathy is what I fear.
I think your take on Dave is over the top somewhat. I dont doubt his talent as a coach. His downside is the liklihood of relearning schollie recruiting. We have already paid a very steep price. I dont want to pay again. It may well be he will adapt quickly and be aware enough to hire a staff well versed in it.
That said, the most important objective is to get an effective HC ( who hires a great DC) :D
Sons of Vaval

Post by Sons of Vaval » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:31 am

GoLU90 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:34 am So I have been told a name from someone I trust and someone who has the connections to know what's going on at Lehigh. However, some quick research tells me this would be a huge get for Lehigh. Perhaps too big to be real. I'm going to refrain from posting his name because I can't say for sure, I don't want to get my source in any trouble, and I don't want to jeopardize anything for Lehigh or this coach.

I will say he is currently an OC with connections to this area, but not to Lehigh. His name has not been mentioned here yet. So it is not Higgins or Stambaugh (or Ron Jean. I guess I'm the only one who wanted to see Ron back at Goodman. He is a wellness coach now :lol: ).

Hopefully we know soon. I hate to be that guy who holds back but at least it's something. I know people have been speculating about past coaches and wondering whether Lehigh would go offense or defense. On the off chance the info. I gave is enough for someone to guess the name, I won't be confirming or denying any names ;) .
Wreaks of Tim Cramsey.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:02 pm

Go Lehigh TU Owl wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:50 am

My first thought is Tim Cramsey. Current OC at Marshall and former Montana State and Sam Houston State OC. He's from Allentown, went to ACC.
If he still has family connections in the Lehigh Valley, then we may have a legitimate shot at him, assuming he's interested. Certainly has had great exposure to programs that have experienced a lot of FCS success at high levels.