The morning after

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
RichH

The morning after

Post by RichH » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:23 pm

A class of 19 plus 5 verbals. A very good class particularly under these circumstances.The top of this class includes some of the best recruits in the PL. ON paper,at least 14 of this class have a lot of potential to be impact players for us. I always want more :D , but even I am hard put to quibble about this group of young men.

At present our roster includes;
Seniors 18
Juniors 20
Sophs 21

We can expect to lose at least a few WOs from this 59. Others are always possible due to injury or academics. We'll see.
A potential roster of 83. TG will likely add more WOs over the next few months. With some luck we may have a slightly deeper roster than last year.

By position:

K/P 4
TE 7
WR 12
RB 6
QB 5
OL 15
DL 12
LB 8
DB 13
LS 1

LUFBPhan

Re: The morning after

Post by LUFBPhan » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:29 pm

Difference between a PWO and a WO? Do either sign?
Any Fifth Years?
Is this considered a “rebuilding” year or do will we actually be in the chase to win PL— go to playoffs ...( and win:)? :D
RichH

Post by RichH » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:54 pm

PWO is a recruited WO as opposed to those who justvtry out for team.
One 5th yr. Sam McCloskey. Not sure anyone else qualifies.
We have a decent base of talent. If we can stay healthy. Last yr we were hit hard on the OL and at LB
A winning record is definitely possible. More than tbat will require a lot of luck, developement and improvement.
Brisson needs to be able to install more O. There s/b no reason to repeat last year's vanilla O.
D made some strides last year but not nearly enough to overcome the collapse of our O. It still has a way to go to become a solid unit. There is talent in the back 7. DL lost 3 starters. Coach K needs to mesh these players into a unit. Not an easy or quick process. DL needs help.
Guardedly optimistic. :D
van

Post by van » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:35 pm

my take on what we have so far

K/P unknown
TE 7 should be OK if we even decide to feature the TE
WR 12 [should be a strength[/i]
RB 6 should be a strength
QB 5 unknown
OL 15 unknown
DL 12 unknown
LB 8 solid unit
DB 13 should be a strength
LS 1 experienced
RichH

Post by RichH » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:44 pm

van wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:35 pm my take on what we have so far

K/P unknown
QB 5 unknown
OL 15 unknown
DL 12 unknown
LB 8 solid unit
LS 1 experienced
OL returns. 5 starters plus 2 injured OTs returning. Fournier can return to C . OL s/b good to very good. Otherwise agree we have a lot of areas that are unsettled.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:09 pm

van wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:35 pm my take on what we have so far

K/P unknown
QB 5 unknown
OL 15 unknown
DL 12 unknown
LB 8 solid unit
LS 1 experienced
Why do you think DBs will be strong?
van

Post by van » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:34 pm

return both safeties and a CB as well as 3 or 4 others that saw considerable time last year
RichH

Post by RichH » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:01 pm

Sunday

Seems counterintuitive in a way to figure that a unit that was torched last year could possibly be a strength this year. I agree with van that the unit will be good. Defense as a unit is more reliant on communication and cohesiveness than the O.Numerous isdues last year. Tackling improved a lot over 2 yrs ago but we still had isduesbof arm tackling. Our main issues were a porous DL on inside runs and playing way too much read and react coverages in the backend. The 4-2-5 is geared to be an aggressive attacking D. When we did that the D was more effective if susceptible to big plays. We focused on stopping the run by playing our Ss up for run support. The result too often were passes eitherto the flat or just beyond the Ss resulting in big gains. We never settled on how we wanted to play the Rover. Micromanaging that spot basically paralyzed the Rover's ability to react to the play.
DL was again a problem. Kircher's loss hurt. Why it took half the season to get Morrow inside puzzles me. Maxie, Nace and Kircher give us a fairly solid base if used properly.
Guess thats my main point . D can be OK if we use them properly.
Likely we will use the same base system . We dont have enough LBs to switch. I like the 4-2-5 . It can be very effective if employed properly.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:01 pm

Surprised by the number listed at TE since we rarely have used them of late. Would be great to have an Adam Bergen hiding in there, but suspect a number will be transitioned elsewhere--maybe defense.

4 K/P's is good. Other than Devine who was reported to making significant improvement last year, but never really used much, it should be good to have some competition. Very critical position. A good punter is a great weapon for a defense that needs all the help it can get and a solid kicker who can hit frequently from 40+ is a necessity if we're going to be making a move forward.