Offense-2019

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
TMH

Offense-2019

Post by TMH » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:39 am

There has been a lot of talk about the demise of our defense and the anticipated improvement for 2019. The statistic that is glaring to me however and has not been mentioned is that Lehigh averaged 16.64 ppg last year. That is one year after scoring 36 ppg the year before. We returned our All-American RB and our All-American QB.

This year we have a new man at the helm but retain the OC. The aforementioned marquee players are gone but hopefully the OL returns to full strength. The QB situation is an unknown right now but I suspect that his skill set will differ from Mayes. Allen, I suspect, will do a great job but suddenly we have some depth with widely different running styles from Brags. Our OL will give us other options in play calling but will we utilize that?

In short, does the playbook change significantly or do we just plug different players into the same schemes. Do we finally start throwing to our backs and TEs? Do we roll the pockets in order to give the QB additional time to go downfield. Does the QB have the arm strength to make those throws? Will our offensive production be closer to 2018 or 2017?

van

Re: Offense-2019

Post by van » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:57 am

all good questions, my question is will the OL be markedly better, I am not convinced until I see it, if OL is good we have the skill guys to make any offense go
TMH

Post by TMH » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:15 pm

My biggest concern is our ability to adapt. To me, that was Folmar's biggest asset. In 2014, our best QB was playing a damaged throwing shoulder and we lacked a star power RB. He shortened the passing game and utilized Nick's legs. We averaged 26 ppg. The following year Nick is healthy, we throw deeper spreading the offensive out and our Frosh RB, runs for 1,000 yds. When Nick got hurt, the offense changed to accommodate Brad who was left mobile and we continued to thrive. When Nick got healthier we utilized him in a wildcat scheme.
JB not only inherited almost the entire offense from those prolific years but the scheme to go with it. Last year, with the injuries and the graduation of our top 2 WRs, we needed to adapt and we didn't except to dummy down the offense.
So my concern is that there will be wholesale changes to an offense that already underperformed last year. Will we be able to adapt?

This, of course, is only my opinion.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:31 pm

Brisson has learned under 2 of the best. He should be the ideal choice.Adaptability? We didnt see any last season. Circumstances? Dunno. O last season was a rolling mess of collapsing dominoes.OL went before season even started. Overall the OL struggled most of the year. Mayes did not adapt at all well to losing his stud WRs and the OL Think we all can recall the travails of our O.
Healthy I have few doubts that O can be very good. A lot depends on. Brisson. He has the playbook . He needs to install it and actually use it this year.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:37 pm

Football success begins and ends in the trenches. I don't care how good the "skill guys" are, if you don't have protection or can open holes, it doesn't matter. I think our OL injury travails last year were the primary cause of our difficulties.
TMH

Post by TMH » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:05 pm

ngineer wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:37 pm Football success begins and ends in the trenches. I don't care how good the "skill guys" are, if you don't have protection or can open holes, it doesn't matter. I think our OL injury travails last year were the primary cause of our difficulties.
I don't disagree however when the situation presents itself we need to adapt. The New York Giants had the 28th ranked offensive line in the NFL but the 17th best offense. Saquon Barkley, as good as he was, was relatively ineffective between the tackles so they threw the ball to him (91 catches) to get him the ball in space. He was their leading receiver. The TE was #4 and #5, combining for another 70 receptions. That gives the defense a lot more to think about and loosens the coverage. I rarely saw us move the pocket to give Brad more time to throw downfield. Again, that was Folmar's strength, being able to adapt when the pieces change. We need to do a much better job of that next year because we will have a lot of changes.

Just my opinion.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:01 pm

TMH wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:05 pm
ngineer wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:37 pm Football success begins and ends in the trenches. I don't care how good the "skill guys" are, if you don't have protection or can open holes, it doesn't matter. I think our OL injury travails last year were the primary cause of our difficulties.
I don't disagree however when the situation presents itself we need to adapt. The New York Giants had the 28th ranked offensive line in the NFL but the 17th best offense. Saquon Barkley, as good as he was, was relatively ineffective between the tackles so they threw the ball to him (91 catches) to get him the ball in space. He was their leading receiver. The TE was #4 and #5, combining for another 70 receptions. That gives the defense a lot more to think about and loosens the coverage. I rarely saw us move the pocket to give Brad more time to throw downfield. Again, that was Folmar's strength, being able to adapt when the pieces change. We need to do a much better job of that next year because we will have a lot of changes.

Just my opinion.
Me, too ...
RichH

Post by RichH » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:56 pm

A bit off topic but a 2019 roster up on site. Shows 54 returning. McCloskey and Harris may be our 5th yr adds.
:D Does have TG as HC with. Brisson and Kashurba as coordintors..
TMH

Post by TMH » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:20 pm

BTW, nice to have you back Rich.
Did you happen to notice any subtractions other than the graduating seniors? Seems like our defensive backfield will remain pretty much intact.
van

Post by van » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:51 pm

TMH wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:20 pm BTW, nice to have you back Rich.
Did you happen to notice any subtractions other than the graduating seniors? Seems like our defensive backfield will remain pretty much intact.
Renna, TE