August Practice

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
RichH

Re: August Practice

Post by RichH » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:15 pm

Tyler missed soph year due to injury. So eligible. I'll wait to anoint him until we see what he can do. He has the skills.
Another short roster. TG has been front loading frosh and sophs with reps to get them up to speed . Practical move to build more depth.
OL has depth assuming the sophs can step up. We do need somekne to take OC.
LB injured are back. Paper depth OK. Injuries tho have been an issue at LB. Not sure how many LBs we are fielding?

WR seems the shallowest unit now without Christiano and Falcone.
K/P. Just question marks.

Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:27 pm

RichH wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:15 pm Tyler missed soph year due to injury. So eligible. I'll wait to anoint him until we see what he can do. He has the skills.
Another short roster. TG has been front loading frosh and sophs with reps to get them up to speed . Practical move to build more depth.
LB injured are back. Paper depth OK. Injuries tho have been an issue at LB. Not sure how many LBs we are fielding?

Monaco will know what it's like to prepare for St. Francis as a starter. Assuming he gets the nod. ;)

I agree to a point about WR. The "catch" being, Portorreal is arguably the best WR in the PL (Dereus at GTown being the other) and Bibbens can play too. That's not a bad 1-2 combo to start. How about Mickens?

I still worry about the DL (still small), LB and Brisson at OC.
RichH

Post by RichH » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:34 pm

:?:
Go Lehigh TU Owl wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:27 pm
RichH wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:15 pm Tyler missed soph year due to injury. So eligible. I'll wait to anoint him until we see what he can do. He has the skills.

Monaco will know what it's like to prepare for St. Francis as a starter. Assuming he gets the nod. ;)

I agree to a point about WR. The "catch" being, Portorreal is arguably the best WR in the PL (Dereus at GTown being the other) and Bibbens can play too. That's not a bad 1-2 combo to start. How about Mickens?

I still worry about the DL (still small), LB and Brisson at OC.
Mickens an unknown right now. Dambach is good. Very fast and tall. Jordan may help. Otherwise, finger crossed for a frosh. Burbage perhaps.
RichH

Post by RichH » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:55 pm

Johnny Foley may be an option. Good genes. His Dad is Gienn Foley, Jets QB
Also. Ian O'Connor a 6'4 frosh listed as a TE but played WR in HS.
LU808

Post by LU808 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:27 pm

TG - "Riley has always been a tough player," Gilmore said. "He's an athlete. He has been versatile. When we had some depth problems in the spring, I was really impressed with how he moved around. We even slipped him in to play some linebacker. He played on the edge. He can play the deep safety.

Looks like Tom is looking at Riley as an option should LBs get thin due to injuries.....smart.
Last edited by LU808 on Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:55 pm

Go Lehigh TU Owl wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:53 pm
van wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:07 pm
RichH wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:46 pm Scrimmage Saturday 2:30 pm at Banko Field. Those who can please go. :D

TG gave his early assessment of 2ndary.
No surprise. It is our deepest and best unit.
As of today he looks at Sam, Riley and Divine as our top Safeties.
At corner he sees. Floyd Wilson and Neal leading off.
no surprises there
Agreed! The secondary is loaded!

Their coverage skills in general are excellent. It comes down to avoiding the blown assignments and getting better at tackling.

First time in 4-5 years I feel like the team might exceed expectations. The 2-deep will be loaded with guys who can make plays. I'm a big fan of Monaco. He should be in line for a redshirt?

The roster is thin though. Injuries could easily turn a 7-8 win team into a 3-5 win squad. When I look around the league, Lehigh is in good spot heading into 2019. The Hawks and Georgetown both seem primed for 4-5 win improvements. The Hoyas could easily win 8-9 games in 2019.
“Big fan of Monaco”...what have you seen that makes you a big fan? Curious. My only look was spring game which was uninspiring.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:57 pm

LUFAN wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:55 pm
van wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:07 pm no surprises there

Their coverage skills in general are excellent. It comes down to avoiding the blown assignments and getting better at tackling.

First time in 4-5 years I feel like the team might exceed expectations. The 2-deep will be loaded with guys who can make plays. I'm a big fan of Monaco. He should be in line for a redshirt?

The roster is thin though. Injuries could easily turn a 7-8 win team into a 3-5 win squad. When I look around the league, Lehigh is in good spot heading into 2019. The Hawks and Georgetown both seem primed for 4-5 win improvements. The Hoyas could easily win 8-9 games in 2019.
“Big fan of Monaco”...what have you seen that makes you a big fan? Curious. My only look was spring game which was uninspiring.
The competition he faced in high school. Of all Lehigh's recent QB recruits he has always stood out. I also thought he handled last year's 1st quarter against Saint Francis well given the circumstances.

With college roster turnover there always needs to be some level of faith/trust that the next guy will be skilled/prepared. Especially, since Lehigh doesn't go the free agent/transfer route like other programs.
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:19 pm

Go Lehigh TU Owl wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:57 pm
LUFAN wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:55 pm

The competition he faced in high school. Of all Lehigh's recent QB recruits he has always stood out. I also thought he handled last year's 1st quarter against Saint Francis well given the circumstances.

With college roster turnover there always needs to be some level of faith/trust that the next guy will be skilled/prepared. Especially, since Lehigh doesn't go the free agent/transfer route like other programs.

He certainly paid his dues, but I guess we will have to wait and see who can actually guide this team to some Ws. Personally think this team needs a real playmaker who can extend plays. Offense has to be much more creative. All the QBs we have recruited as of late have impressive credentials, not sure I would single any one out.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:32 pm

van wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:07 pm
RichH wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:46 pm Scrimmage Saturday 2:30 pm at Banko Field. Those who can please go. :D

TG gave his early assessment of 2ndary.
No surprise. It is our deepest and best unit.
As of today he looks at Sam, Riley and Divine as our top Safeties.
At corner he sees. Floyd Wilson and Neal leading off.
no surprises there

No matter how good a secondary, you have to have a decent pass rush to pressure the qB into mistakes or forced passes. That's when you get the TO's, which we have been lacking the past few years.
RichH

Post by RichH » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:28 pm

The lack of a rush hung our DBs out way to often. Lynn and Maxie very good pass rushers. Otherwise not much evident. Morrow when he played showed good inside pressure. The but here was how we schemed the D. Not particularly avgressive. Injuries at LB and losing Kircher may partly explain that.
Not sure what Coach K is going to use this year. Hopefully he will add more blitz packages to whatever scheme he has chosen.
Maxie Morrow form a good base. Rybka could be a real plus. Kircher and Laurencelle back from injury. Colton and Callahan are top talent.
Some bad news. Heard last night Nace injured. Rumor is out for up to 8 weeks.
Unsure about depth at LB. That TG had to move Riley up to LB due to injuries in Spring does not give me much confidence in depth.
Are we using 2 or 3 LBs behind a 4 man DL?