Scrimmag #2

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
RichH

Scrimmag #2

Post by RichH » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:28 pm

The post game spin on this will be fascinating.
At least up to this minute. D is dominating. We have no O.
:(

ngineer

Re: Scrimmag #2

Post by ngineer » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:29 pm

Agreed the D is well ahead of the O. However, it did seem that at this time they are still giving all players same amount of reps as they do their evaluations. This can have a more disruptive impact on an offense as opposed to a defense. Monaco, in my mind is the starter. Throws a nice ball and seems in control. I was impressed with Lucas at RB and think he may be the #1 back up at this point. Frosh WR made a nice TD catch back of the end zone, I think thrown by Brescomer.
Still concerned about kicking game. Devine has no consistency in either PK or Punting. Had a couple nice hangers in the red zone, though. Really shanked a FG attempt--probably tried too hard as it was a challenging distance for him~45 yards. The frosh kicker was crisp on a 31 FG and an XP. Wouldn't be surprised to see him do the PK and Devine the KO's. They better get the punting squared away because we may be doing a fair amount of it.
The backup QBs biggest problem, to me, was their failure to get rid of the ball. Cost was several sacks and one which took the team out of FG range after getting down to near the 20. Trips into the red zone may be at a premium this year, so maintaining field position will be important.
Secondary played well. Nice tight coverage. Aggressive. Again, good pressure by the DL. Upcoming week will be very important as by next weekend the starting lineup and primary backups should be determined so the units stay together in prepping for SFU.
van

Post by van » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:33 pm

still evaluating players? not handing our starters yet? how can that be?
van

Post by van » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:37 pm

also, ngineer showing his age as Devine graduated a few years back,
RichH

Post by RichH » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:49 pm

Now van leave us old guys alone. :D :lol:
I am not quite as calm about this team going forward.
Did seem to be a more mix and match day than expected. A lot of work to do in the next few weeks.
D showed a lot of aggression and a lot of stunts and blitz packages.
O still has major issues on the OL. First line out was Founier Rosen Oneidas Stewart and Gurth. If my numbers are correct. Motley wasnt dressed.
Man coverage was tight. WRs didnt seem to be able to get much separation. Bottom line no real answers today just questions for our O.
Caveat, at least partly, D knows the plays. I hope Coach Brisson has opened the playbook. If not, most of the DCs we face will know our plays also.
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:51 pm

van wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:33 pm still evaluating players? not handing our starters yet? how can that be?
Hell yea let’s just give out positions. In fact “van” why even have camp or practice? Smh at such ridiculous comments. Are you actually debating the value of competition and the sense of accomplishment that comes along with winning your position? Go away.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:02 pm

LUFAN wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:51 pm
van wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:33 pm still evaluating players? not handing our starters yet? how can that be?
Hell yea let’s just give out positions. In fact “van” why even have camp or practice? Smh at such ridiculous comments. Are you actually debating the value of competition and the sense of accomplishment that comes along with winning your position? Go away.
Competition is necessary. van is correct tho. It is 2 weeks to SFU. A bit late to still be running mix and match with all spots.Admittedly new staff and lots of new players may account for today. Time. Even so by now most postions s/b fairly well settled. Only 1 week til prep week for SFU. Afraid our OOC may be merely an extension of this camp
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:05 pm

van wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:37 pm also, ngineer showing his age as Devine graduated a few years back,
Sorry. Meant Henning. Both had first name Austin. Observations unchanged.
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:07 pm

Evaluations end when season ends....not a day before.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:29 pm

LUFAN wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:07 pm Evaluations end when season ends....not a day before.
True enough. But, at some point staff has to set the units.
Units need to practice and play together to build cohession. You can field the best athletes but if they cant word in unison the unit will fail.