Colgate and Villanova

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
van

Re: Colgate and Villanova

Post by van » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:48 pm

Ivies are big competition for recruits these days, they have huge rosters, lot of aid $, and don't care to be beaten by their PL cousins

ngineer

Post by ngineer » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:17 pm

Very true. This was their response to the PL going scholarship. Sort of like the old adage, don't get into a writing fight with someone (like a newspaper) that buys ink by the barrel. We don't have the funds, nor the cache, to fight the IL--especially the 'big four'. And while it is now unrealistic to expect a PL team to seriously challenge for a national title on a regular basis, I still like the competition and it does help the school with national visibility in recruiting in other sports. The softball team now, regularly, has 6-8 women from California and Arizona and basketball recruits nationally, as well as lacrosse and, of course, wrestling. Playing D-I gives the league schools national exposure and great press when we do succeed with significant wins, near upsets and upsets. I am proud that the PL schools get highlighted as being one of the last bastions of the true student/athlete.
RichH

Post by RichH » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:21 pm

ngineer wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:17 pm Very true. This was their response to the PL going scholarship. Sort of like the old adage, don't get into a writing fight with someone (like a newspaper) that buys ink by the barrel. We don't have the funds, nor the cache, to fight the IL--especially the 'big four'. And while it is now unrealistic to expect a PL team to seriously challenge for a national title on a regular basis, I still like the competition and it does help the school with national visibility in recruiting in other sports. The softball team now, regularly, has 6-8 women from California and Arizona and basketball recruits nationally, as well as lacrosse and, of course, wrestling. Playing D-I gives the league schools national exposure and great press when we do succeed with significant wins, near upsets and upsets. I am proud that the PL schools get highlighted as being one of the last bastions of the true student/athlete.
Well said. Still hope we can do even better. :D