Lehigh. SFU

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
RichH

Lehigh. SFU

Post by RichH » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:40 pm

Ugly ugly ugly game. Very tough L.
OL is a mess. Injuries yet again.
Brisson has opened playbook. Multiple sets. Passes to TE. Didnt help much today. No run game. SFU stuffed box and our OL.
D is better but on the field way too long. 2 missed coverages 2 TDs for SFU.
Monaco is very inconsistent. Credit to SFU secondary partly but Monaco missed too many throws.
Brutal end to game. Henning made the winning FG but time called. Missed the next.
Gonna be a very very long year. 0-3 start.

van

Re: Lehigh. SFU

Post by van » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:49 pm

this team goes as far as the OL carries them, very disappointed in QB play, very inaccurate, saw some positives from several of the FR, gonna need them
RichH

Post by RichH » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:12 pm

Monaco 7/21 in 1st half. 21/51 for 250 yds.
Allen 14 for 22 yds. SFU dominated LOS.
O scored 6 pts. Inside the red zone often enough but could not score.
Going forward I have very little optimism. If Coach Z can put together some kind of adequate OL we could get a few Ws.
Hawktalker

Post by Hawktalker » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:11 pm

The offense left the defense with no margin for error. When the D allows only 14 points Lehigh should always win.
The offense has a long way to go. The QB underthrew many open receivers and there was no run game.
The next two opponents are far superior to SFU. An 0-3 start is almost guaranteed.
CHIP72

Post by CHIP72 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:58 pm

Lehigh's offense didn't (show) STFU against StFU.
TMH

Post by TMH » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:52 pm

I came away from this game disappointed at the loss however I think the biggest issue may be the fan base's need to re-evaluate their expectations. This may be a rehash but we knew that we were coming into this season with a brand new coaching staff (for the most part) with a different philosophy and a different system.
We knew that our offensive line was going to be a real work in progress with a lot of moving parts. We knew that we lost our All-American RB and QB and we also knew how even their production dropped a under-performing OL. We also knew that our QB did not possess the arm strength of Shaf and Mayes and was also lacking experience.

We also knew that our defense has been among the worst in FCS football over the last few years and that we lost our all P/L kicker/punter. I didn't see a whole lot of reasons to be overly optimistic at least early in the season.

So my disappointment came because we coulda/woulda/shoulda won the game but here are some observations from only one game.

1.)Our defense (esp the run defense) played beyond my expectations. I thought our DL and LBs played very well. I also thought our defensive play calling did not lack imagination. Although I certainly didn't focus on it, there appeared to be a lot more blitzing esp from the secondary. Unfortunately, that left us naked a couple of times.

Our offense is going nowhere until we get the OL fixed. The film will be very telling for future opponents. Does anyone know the status of Rosen's injury? However the TE is now part of our offense and we did pass to Allen out of the backfield so creativity may be back there too.

Finally, I know there was quite a bit of concern about whether Henning could do the job. Again, it was only one game but I came away hopeful. He did shag one punt abut several others were well placed. He was 2 for 2 of FGs (3 for 3 if you include the game winner that was called back) until barely missing the actual game winner. I hope that miss doesn't play with his head.

I like this coaching staff and I think we are heading in the right direction. It will take time though to get all the pieces in place.
LU808

Post by LU808 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:27 pm

Completely agree with your assessment. The fan base needs to accept that fact that we are not world beaters yet.
The staff will learn about the talent from this game and be better tacticians. The players will continue to be evaluated in real game situations vs practice....changes could come form it. We will likely see underclassman early this year. I would expect Tom to build for the long term which I have no problem with at this stage. Would I love to win them all? You bet.....but I am more of a realist.
van

Post by van » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:01 pm

I would restrain my disappointment if I though St F was a decent team, they made so many errors it is hard to give them credit for the win, a little better execution by the red flash and this would have been lopsided
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:14 pm

TMH wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:52 pm I came away from this game disappointed at the loss however I think the biggest issue may be the fan base's need to re-evaluate their expectations. This may be a rehash but we knew that we were coming into this season with a brand new coaching staff (for the most part) with a different philosophy and a different system.
We knew that our offensive line was going to be a real work in progress with a lot of moving parts. We knew that we lost our All-American RB and QB and we also knew how even their production dropped a under-performing OL. We also knew that our QB did not possess the arm strength of Shaf and Mayes and was also lacking experience.

We also knew that our defense has been among the worst in FCS football over the last few years and that we lost our all P/L kicker/punter. I didn't see a whole lot of reasons to be overly optimistic at least early in the season.

So my disappointment came because we coulda/woulda/shoulda won the game but here are some observations from only one game.

1.)Our defense (esp the run defense) played beyond my expectations. I thought our DL and LBs played very well. I also thought our defensive play calling did not lack imagination. Although I certainly didn't focus on it, there appeared to be a lot more blitzing esp from the secondary. Unfortunately, that left us naked a couple of times.

Our offense is going nowhere until we get the OL fixed. The film will be very telling for future opponents. Does anyone know the status of Rosen's injury? However the TE is now part of our offense and we did pass to Allen out of the backfield so creativity may be back there too.

Finally, I know there was quite a bit of concern about whether Henning could do the job. Again, it was only one game but I came away hopeful. He did shag one punt abut several others were well placed. He was 2 for 2 of FGs (3 for 3 if you include the game winner that was called back) until barely missing the actual game winner. I hope that miss doesn't play with his head.

I like this coaching staff and I think we are heading in the right direction. It will take time though to get all the pieces in place.

Well said...there were very few surprises. QB1 performed in-line with spring and fall scrimmages, sub 50% completion and no TDs. Run game was spotty at best against our own D in scrimmages despite Allen being a great talent, so not surprised. Great to see TE in the schemes as expected. Bibbens and Portereal were very solid. If staff of this young team is opting for a senior QB, simply cannot have 30 incompletions and a red zone turnover. No time for growing pains when in program 4 years. As per TG in interview, Senior was given starting job because of his consistency.

Word is that Rosen is out indefinitely, likely for season. OL was not at all bad. Solid in pass pro and facing a 7/8 man box in run game, hence the need for an effective passing game. It was a simple numbers game. Teams will continue to stack box and man us up on outside.

Defense literally kept LU in this game. 10 Lehigh points were direct result of special team play (or lack thereof from SFU). SFU QB was a athletic and extended plays...the killer of any good defense. D got stop after stop when O was anemic. Optimistic the D will continue to play well.

Henning was terrific. Positional KOs and mostly solid on FGs. I think kicking game will be fine. That FG attempt never happens if Snyder doesn’t make an all-world catch!!

Not a fan of the “effort” talk from TG. Effort doesn’t win games. This is a D1 football program...effort should be a given. HC should be nothing but disappointed and looking for ways to fix the glaring weaknesses. This was a game LU needed to win and didn’t.
datruph

Post by datruph » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:36 pm

A