Lehigh. SFU

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
mookie

Re: Lehigh. SFU

Post by mookie » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:11 pm

Overall team speed is poor. 2-9 or 3-8 is about where this season will end. Gilmore is a dullard.

Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:02 pm

When a blocked punt and scoop was your only TD again a mediocre team and when it might be the highlight of your season ...

This could be much worse than last year, if that's possible.

Maybe the D will snuff the run. It played tough and aggressive for the most part. I liked TMH's analysis. I was hoping Monaco would show like another first-year-starting senior, Bialkowski. Color me naive.

Youngsters might get more chances soon.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:11 pm

disappointing but not discouraging" is appropriate. The Defense, with a couple breakdowns, was stellar. I like the energy and aggressiveness. Kicker did better than expected, despite the miss at the end. I really question whether the TO was called before the snap. Regardless, it should not have come down to that. Offense primary culpability for this loss by not being able to move the ball consistently. The main thing is to see improvement next week at 'nova, regardless of outcome. The next two weeks are brutal. We need to come through healthy and with an eye toward the balance of the season. We shouldn't have won last year's game, so I guess this was an ironic sense of justice.
RichH

Post by RichH » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:56 pm

A few tidbits for the postmortem. Rosen suffered a broken leg. Out for his senior year. Just so sad for him.
LU808

Post by LU808 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:07 am

Red shirt?
datruph

Post by datruph » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:10 am

Rosen a quality player. He will be missed. It is nice to see a defense with a purpose and a common direction. They seemed to know exactly there assignments despite a few missed plays but comparing to the past a huge upgrade. The special teams also looks excited and with a purpose. I was very close to our sidelines and saw fire. I applaud the coaches and players. I do think that Villanova is going to pound us on the ground. Our d-line is active and good but slightly under-sized. I do think Villanova is going to win the time of possession big!!!They are going to pound the ground game until we can stop them. I just think we dont have the depth to hold up a team who will run the ball 30 times. We will have to creative blitz leaving big play chances very vulnerable. I do like our secondary but it seemed verse St Francis the middle of the field was open a lot. On offense as we all know this isn't going to be pretty. We ran for 19 yards on 11 carries with a great rb. Like one of the previous posters said that without an o-line nothing is going to work. Watching Colgate play against Villanova the only play that seemed to work was the back going out to the flats. Colgate had a total of 288 yards on them 30 carries for 77 yards. Breneman looked lost throwing for Colgate. Villanova runs a crazy defense and can get to the qb with just 3 rushers. They do send a lot of looks but I do think if 75 percent of our plays are directed outside the tight ends we may hit something big. They blitz and delay blitz. Quick passes and mis-direction and motion from our receivers. If Allen thought he had a rough game verse SFU watch out this week. Stay healthy and get out of these next two games healthy. If Allen doesnt get any yards FOR THE SECOND WEEK IN A ROW, will the posters want to replace him with a frosh? RIDICULOUS...I say we replace every kid who misses a tackle, misses a block with a freshman. ABSURD...Allen will play in the NFL one day. These coaches know they are one step away from selling used cars and fans think they should be playing for the future. REBUILDING??? Dont tell TG we are rebuilding. They know these guys hearts and know who the ballers are. Fans blindly criticize and have no clue of what these coaches see on a daily and monthly basis. There is no worse feeling in coaching knowing that whatever you call will not work. There is no worse feeling as a player knowing the guy in front of you is a lot better. There are a lot of variables and moving parts in football. TG got a late start in recruiting and to his credit landed a big class. The quality of that class will emerge but clearly a lot of these guys are not ready to play d1 college football. I can promise you one thing, this coaching staff is clearly playing the best guys in there eyes...ZAKORSKI must be taking heavy drugs by now. It's tough and its tough on the offense with no help anytime soon on the o-line. Im sure the o-line doesnt want to be bad and I can promise you that the coaches are playing the best healthy guys we have. Nick Saban said, "IT IS WHAT IT IS." Support the cause.
RichH

Post by RichH » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:04 am

Well said. No matter you slice this , it is, however, a rebuilding year. Not so much from last year as that IMO was a one off due to OL injuries and Andy's health. A change in coaches is always a rebuiding siuation. It does not mean a lack of talent necessarily. We have a lot of talent. Very little depth. Under PL restrictions there is a very fine line between success and failure. Coaches have virtually no leeway for injuries,recruiting mistakes or youth each and every year.. A quick scan of our 2 deep shows where we are right now. A bevy of frosh and sophs. Talented and most highly recruited. Not all ready to play at this level. In the change od coaches team lost a pretty substantial number of players. Compound that with the injuries and Gilmore has to field a very inexperienced, albeit talented, group of players. Not usually a formula for immediate success.
Trust the process is a common theme among football players. We also should factor that into our opinions.
SFU frustrating for our own misplays and.verified referee errors in negating our TD dive play and allowing a TO after the hike on the last minute FG. We cant do anything about the refs but we can correct our mistakes.
Nova likely a beatdown by a better team. Crucial for us to compete with as good a game as we are capable if now.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:07 pm

Yes, the no TD call by the refs really hurts. The mistakes we made are correctable and to be expected in a first game with a lot of young kids. The OL line had guys out of place due to the injuries and assignments were missed, but they will learn from this. We have some excellent skills talent, abut the OL really needs depth, but it aint there. Gotta play with what you got and give it your all.