Nova

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
van

Re: Nova

Post by van » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:35 pm

will someone please tell Brisson to stop the go quick stuff, I bet in the past 3 years we gave net negative yards every time we try to go quick

Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:00 pm

van wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:35 pm will someone please tell Brisson to stop the go quick stuff, I bet in the past 3 years we gave net negative yards every time we try to go quick
Game basically ended by trying to go quick on 4th and goal from the 1. There's some real good talent on offense it just doesn't appear to be used correctly. Kind of stuck in the Troy Brown era. I'd go with a heavy passing game. If I have to throw it 60 times roll with it. The OL held up pretty well I thought. Get the QB's in space too. Monaco and #14 both seem more comfortable moving around.

The mistakes absolutely killed Lehigh tonight. They moved the ball well for 60 minutes but shot themselves in the foot over and over in 'Nova territory. Simply can't do that. Based on what I see around the league Lehigh still can be in the mix.

UC-Davis barely beat non-schollie San Diego 38-35. Got to go out there and compete for 60 minutes. The mental mistakes must stop if the team is going to improve before Colgate.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:06 pm

Go Lehigh TU Owl wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:00 pm
van wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:35 pm will someone please tell Brisson to stop the go quick stuff, I bet in the past 3 years we gave net negative yards every time we try to go quick
Game basically ended by trying to go quick on 4th and goal from the 1. There's some real good talent on offense it just doesn't appear to be used correctly. Kind of stuck in the Troy Brown era. I'd go with a heavy passing game. If I have to throw it 60 times roll with it. The OL held up pretty well I thought. Get the QB's in space too. Monaco and #14 both seem more comfortable moving around.

The mistakes absolutely killed Lehigh tonight. They moved the ball well for 60 minutes but shot themselves in the foot over and over in 'Nova territory. Simply can't do that....
Mistakes. Mistakes.
Wouldnt put Brisson as low as Brown yet. He has opened the O. He does stay too long with certain schemes that just dont work. Execution part of that. But if kids cant run the play effectively either changevthe players or stop using that scheme.
Again we had a lot of opportunities . Converted on one.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:22 pm

Stats
Monaco 23/43. 253 y. 1 TD 1 int
LU. 89 yds rush

Allen 13 for 17 yds
Lucas 6 for 33 yds
Shoup 5 for 22 yds
LU. 35 minutes
Nova 24

An expected L. Frustrating part for me is the inconsistency. I know are inexperienced and young on O. Doesnt help.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:23 pm

RichH wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:06 pm
Go Lehigh TU Owl wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:00 pm

The mistakes absolutely killed Lehigh tonight. They moved the ball well for 60 minutes but shot themselves in the foot over and over in 'Nova territory. Simply can't do that....
Mistakes. Mistakes.
Wouldnt put Brisson as low as Brown yet. He has opened the O. He does stay too long with certain schemes that just dont work. Execution part of that. But if kids cant run the play effectively either changevthe players or stop using that scheme.
Again we had a lot of opportunities . Converted on one.
Maybe not yet but it's getting there.

Lehigh points scored since the start of last year.
21, 9, 21, 10, 7, 14, 16, 0, 45 (Bucknell), 6, 34, 13, 10.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:46 pm

Not gonna hang him for last year. The scores are what they are. Excuses, even valid ones, begin to have less and less weight as we move along.

Did Dambach see the field at all? Understand he was nursing an injury from camp.

And to belabor the obvious. :D Our redzone offense is pathetic.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:22 pm

Monaco so far this year.
46.8% for 523 yds 1 TD 2 INT. Some really nice throws, some drops but a lot of misses.. What does Brisson do now?
mookie

Post by mookie » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:03 am

Actually the team is better than I thought. Defense is vastly improved and kids are finely sticking their noses in plays. Playing hard.

The issue now isn't poor coaching it's talent level and that will take a few years to improve.

Fortunately they play in a league where you're never more than a game away from winning a title.
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:28 am

Agree with Mookie that kids are playing hard on a D which is a tribute to the new staff in that side of ball. However, I don’t think it is talent level that holds Lehigh back. There are some scheme issues that must be addressed and a deeper look at the personnel with consideration of who can help this team moving forward is necessary.

“What does Brisson do?”....Lehigh runs a “read scheme” with a QB who has not pulled once in two games. Last night in particular there were multiple opportunities to pull with plenty of green turf. Have to scheme to personnel or change scheme/personnel. The mismatch doesn’t work. “Read” scheme doesn’t require a 4.5 speed QB, just someone who will pull and go for 6 yards.....but is also capable of commanding the passing game at “Air Lehigh”. TG nailed it...O isn’t always bad, it is inconsistent. Lehigh simply doesn’t move the chains consistently and when they do, drives typically stall. 1 offensive TD in two games will always result in an 0-2 record. #30 and #4 need more carries behind this type OL.

This will continue at Lehigh until changes are made, but the D, LBs in particular, are a bright a spot.
van

Post by van » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:22 am

did not see the game yesterday, buy agree about QB not keeping the ball on the read options, running not his strong suit it appears, back up QB is more suited to that type of play, either drop those calls or make personnel changes, given that we were one dimensional seems like the OL handled the pass blocking well, got to get a running game going or the O will never get the job done