Lehigh vs. BYE 9/21

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
LUFAN

Re: Lehigh vs. BYE 9/21

Post by LUFAN » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:56 pm

RichH wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:48 pm Wow. Bye certainly taking a beating. :D :shock: :lol:

LU defense has been atrocious for 5-6 years. Actually not bad this year. On the field too longMyriad excuses aside, O was terrible last year. Following suit this year. Frustrating flashes of good. Some semblance of an OL will help.
Is it just us?? Nope. The entire schollie PL. Rebuilding programs. All but GU. PL restrictions have prevented PL from keeping pace with any conference in the Northeast. Just look at CCSU led MAC's E.Mich up til the last minute.

For us, we are in the 1st year of a rebuild. I thought we would be in a pretty good position with returners on O and D and 2 very strong recruiting classes. I was wrong at least as to the O. We can nitpick all the various issues but the bottom line is the OL again. Not having Curlin Jackson and Rosen a major hit. Sovfar we have watched multiple combinations of players in various positions. Normally I would expect that shuffling in camps not now. I hope coach has picked 5 guys this week and given that unit lots of reps.
No doubt an athletic QB who can stretch plays and Ds with his feet would be great. We dont seem to have one.
Level of competition decreases a bit going forward. Lets see what happens.

Sad statement for the program if a “read” scheme team doesn’t have QB athletes that can extend plays in pass game.

HawkFootballFan

Post by HawkFootballFan » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:19 pm

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:54 pm

HawkFootballFan wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:19 pm "It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."
Is this a Bud Light commercial? If so, I'll drink to that!
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:25 am

"The man in the arena?"

Try TR.

Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbeI0Jr4Src
HawkFootballFan

Post by HawkFootballFan » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:19 am

Yes, Theodore Roosevelt
“The Man in the Arena”
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:37 pm

Finished reading a nice book called "How Teddy Roosevelt Saved the Game of Football" a short time ago. Even notes a few Lehigh alums in there focusing on the history of the game from late 1800's through early 1900's.
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:03 pm

As it relates to the above, I recently saw an ESPN documentary on the early years of football and Teddy's early era. It detailed the brutality and constant loss of life and limb. Teddy did indeed save the game.

Now the powers that be need to save the game again....from head injury litigation. Supposedly the NFL lost their long time liability insurer. They found another, but the point is, liability insurance is going up for this. Dramatically. This is all on top of the increased competition for students. How long can the average FCS programs survive financially? Joe Sterret's successor will have to deal with all this.

Back aways (November 1968), the risks were not just for the players. My freshman year we had at least a half dozen guys off to St. Lukes resulting from the fight for the wooden goal posts after the Lafayette game at Taylor. One recruited wrestler broke a leg. But his fraternity got a big chuck for the trophy cabinet! Folks, those days are long gone thanks to litigation. Maybe for the better. But I'm not sure.

Now off my soapbox.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:02 pm

Freedom, Justice and Liberty...without lawyers, they are just words. ;)
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:44 am

ngineer wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:02 pm Freedom, Justice and Liberty...without lawyers, they are just words. ;)
Bethlehem SD is building a third HS?

68 Laf game was at Fisher. I assume the fight over the goalposts referred to was 67. A cursed by the GODS loss, but we frosh were not yielding the goal posts
Last edited by Richb-3 on Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RichH

Post by RichH » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:18 am

Ah the good old days of bonfires and post game riots. :D
Pajame parade and panty raids at Moravian. Beer came in kegs. Simpler times :D :lol: