Lehigh vs. BYE 9/21

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
News
Site Admin

Lehigh vs. BYE 9/21

Post by News » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:57 pm

It's Lehigh's bye week and there are four Patriot League teams in action this weekend. Facing off against three CAA teams and an Ivy League title favorite, it will be a very tough challenge for the league this week.

https://www.college-sports-journal.com/ ... 9-21-2019/

The above link has predictions and links to where to stream these games. Only the Maine/Colgate game is a free stream.

Sundayamqb

Re: Lehigh vs. BYE 9/21

Post by Sundayamqb » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:53 am

I'll take BYE and give you 6.5 points. :-)
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:01 am

Lehigh’s 3 opponents this year gave up 103 combined points yesterday. These were not top defenses and Lehigh scored 16 combined points on offense in all three games (deducted the 13 Lehigh scored against UCD JV team). If anyone is looking for an explanation for this slow start....look no further. Two talented QBs sitting and watching as the “de facto” goes 58 of 128. Run game schemes predictable and ineffective without QB who will pull the ball. OOC teams will put up points, Lehigh needs to be able to match some of these teams to win.
datruph

Post by datruph » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:07 am

FRom 2014-2017 Lehigh was 23-23. Defense gave up avg of 30 points per game. Bunch of below avg seasons but a Patriot league championship made everything okay. On offense the only year Lehigh did anything was 2017. That just happens to coincide with the same year we had three o-lineman on the all Patriot league team. MAKES YOU THINK??? Our d-line was horrible those years and got pounded for yardage game in and out. I think we gave up 300 yards to one rb in one game if my memory isn't failing me. My point is, Lehigh has been below avg for years masked by a couple of Patriot league championships. Gilmore came in late and recruited a big class and fans thought that was going to save the day. Just because the class was big doesn'mean it was good. Only time will tell. STATS CAN BE SKEWED WHICHEVER WAY YOU WANT THEM TOO. LUFAN eludes to our past opponents this week but fails to say that Jake Maire threw 3 int's. His team was able to rush for 117 purposeful yards and NDSU rushed for 202 yards. Villanova rushed for 302 yards. St Francis who lost only rushed for 74 yards. My point being that you can have Joe Montana at qb and it wouldn' matter. LOOK AT every bottom team in the NFL. They are dead last in rushing. If these coaches think that another qb or rb will help im sure they will make the change. I can re-count atleast 20 dropped passes. Equate that back into the mix and all of sudden Monaco looks very good with no run game. It's the way you skew it. I dont know if TC DAD has sticks in the fire or an agenda but lets trust the coaches decision. Merrimack is no push over. Until we establish a rush defense and a run game we will struggle. This week LUFAN may jump off the cliff. It's a game. Means nothing in the big picture. These coaches and players are trying as hard as they can and maybe they are not meeting your expectations but look at when your son played. They were very avg also.
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:09 am

Bye (pardon the pun) the way..... The Patriot League is now 4-20 as a group. Bucky, 'Gate, Easton Prep, and Lehigh are a combined 0-14. Whatever malady our program has contracted, it seems to be going around. I'm far from a football oficionado, but it seems the dearth of talent in the league compared to historic levels is obvious.

My point is, coaching might be better, but that's far from the problem. As has been pointed out by many on this board the move to a restricted athletic scholarship model by the Patriot coupled with the change in The Ivies' general scholarship policy has really hurt our ability to compete.

If we don't want to be an embarrassment at this level, the League Presidents have to either bleep or get off the pot.
datruph

Post by datruph » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:17 am

My point exactly. Nobody cares. The league is set up to fail. We should sit back and enjoy and not be so harsh. If we do good, great. If not, reme,ber, Patriot league football players are there for an education. I cannot remeber our last player in the NFL. Calling kids and coaches out when the system is set up to fail is ridiculous. Be positive and accept the situation and move on with your life.
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:06 pm

Datruph is grumpy this Sunday morning...didn't mean to upset you. I don't think it is reasonable to just accept that PL football is for academically driven kids and move on with life. Last time I checked, Ivy Leauge has some pretty good football. Is PL system a problem? Most agree it is, but Colgate has had some pretty good seasons!

Not sure I follow some of your comments, but I will try to keep this quick...a lot of clarity is necessary to clean up all of your misstatements. My point is simple.

1. Lehigh offense was pretty darn good in 2016 averaging over 38 pts per game and over 32 ppg in 2015.
2. Lehigh has been below average for years. 9-2 in 2016.
3. Towson scored 45 vs Nova. Lehigh scored 10.
4. Columbia scored 31 vs SFU. Lehigh scored 6 (offense).
5. "Until we establish a rush defense"??? - Lehigh's greatest strength YTD. 35th in FCS.
6. NO PLAYER WAS SINGLED OUT as not being a talent. The OFFENSE is the problem. 70 out of 128 balls cannot bounce on the ground and expect a positive outcome. Is that the QB, the system, or mismatch between the two?....I am not an inside so I will let you decide. 101st in passing efficiency is bad. 46% completion bad. Scoring offense bad. Redzone bad. 3rd down conversion bad.
7. "20 dropped passes" - preposterous comment. Lehigh has a terrific WF group. All QBs have drops in their completion %. Lehigh has drops too. An insult to claim 7 per game!
8. Stats actually cannot be skewed and the correlation between good stats and wins is quite consistent.
9. Merrimack is no pushover. They lost to SFU by 28. Lehigh should be -25.
10. Joe Montana would make a difference. Keeping it real, an elusive QB who can extend plays would be a huge asset to Lehigh. QB rushing yards YTD in run game? QB rushing yards YTD in pass game? I think you probably know the answer. A QB who escapes the pocket and breaks contain is any DCs greatest nightmare and impacts blitzing and ability to play M2M behind stacked box.

Too exhausted to continue but you get the point. PL schools can only seek to be their best every week. Winning may be a stretch given the PL system, but executing and playing well is not too much to ask. Defense is improving, offense is going backward. Pretty simple to see from a fan's perspective.

No cliffs in my neck of the woods so I will be safe as I stream the game, but thanks for the concern.
van

Post by van » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:23 pm

QB that can scramble and extend plays would be an asset, also a 300 # DT that can clog the middle would be an asset, a RB with 4.4 speed that can run outside would be an asset, a kicker that can nail FGs from 40+ and send kick offs into the end zone would be an asset, a DE that can harass QBs all day would be an asset,

what else that we don't have can we wish for?
RichH

Post by RichH » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:48 pm

Wow. Bye certainly taking a beating. :D :shock: :lol:

LU defense has been atrocious for 5-6 years. Actually not bad this year. On the field too longMyriad excuses aside, O was terrible last year. Following suit this year. Frustrating flashes of good. Some semblance of an OL will help.
Is it just us?? Nope. The entire schollie PL. Rebuilding programs. All but GU. PL restrictions have prevented PL from keeping pace with any conference in the Northeast. Just look at CCSU led MAC's E.Mich up til the last minute.

For us, we are in the 1st year of a rebuild. I thought we would be in a pretty good position with returners on O and D and 2 very strong recruiting classes. I was wrong at least as to the O. We can nitpick all the various issues but the bottom line is the OL again. Not having Curlin Jackson and Rosen a major hit. Sovfar we have watched multiple combinations of players in various positions. Normally I would expect that shuffling in camps not now. I hope coach has picked 5 guys this week and given that unit lots of reps.
No doubt an athletic QB who can stretch plays and Ds with his feet would be great. We dont seem to have one.
Level of competition decreases a bit going forward. Lets see what happens.
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:36 pm

van wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:23 pm QB that can scramble and extend plays would be an asset, also a 300 # DT that can clog the middle would be an asset, a RB with 4.4 speed that can run outside would be an asset, a kicker that can nail FGs from 40+ and send kick offs into the end zone would be an asset, a DE that can harass QBs all day would be an asset,

what else that we don't have can we wish for?
Datruph doesn’t think Joe Montana would be an asset so why wish for anything. Just accept that PL sucks and be happy.