Colgate

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
van

Re: Colgate

Post by van » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:25 pm

Hawkineer wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:12 pm One thing appears to be true, we have some real talent at RB. With any kind of line play, they will get their yards.

In regards to the OC, please explain why we did not run the bootleg again. Monaco waltzed into the end zone untouched on the 2nd TD. Monaco has to run more to prevent the defense from crashing down on the RBs. This will help the online out.
not sure it was a boot, think it was a read option which QB rarely keeps, that time he did and results were good

Lehigh74

Post by Lehigh74 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:42 pm

jimk72 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:25 pm Gut wrenching win. Can't make this kind of script up.
Wins are never gut wrenching. Only losses are.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:24 am

Go Lehigh TU Owl wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:12 pm Always good to beat 'Gate! Defense really dominated! Not sure the last time (if ever) 'Gate had 9 yards rushing in a PL game.

I figured they were doomed with Breneman back. Unlike last week, Monaco played really well after another ugly first quarter. If it were me I would have given Shoup a shot after Monaco nearly got Bibbens killed.

Getting HC and Georgetown at Goodman could be huge. Need to get past Fordham.
My thoughts exactly.

Love the freshmen. Sibblis, listed at only 6-3, 220, is a DL making quite some mark so far -- two TFL Saturday.

Remember, lots of these guys, including Monaco (who had no meaningful game experience until this year), are still learning. Defense makes me optimistic.
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:56 am

What a terrific defensive performance and it was in all areas, DL, LB, DB. Great to see the pressure. Looked like Brennaman was likely told to minimize his running as Colgate run game was all give. Time for folks to buy into the fact that Lehigh defense is real and can shut down PL opponents (where the matchups are equal). Created a HUGE turnover late to give the O a short field. Offensively it was another slow start allowing another crucial defensive score. Under center was a game changer vs Colgate. It set up some boot action and allowed backs to make cuts before penetration got to them. Will see if it helps now that it is on film and teams can prepare. I thought it was one of Brisson’s better games in terms of giving the QB more basic throws which he is more capable of completing. A HUGE dropped INT by Colgate MLB late in the game would have this forum singing a different tune today, but it was time for LU to get the breaks! Colgate was 0-5 coming in...it is a great league win for Lehigh on the road but also needs to be kept in perspective.
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:03 am

Lehigh74 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:42 pm
jimk72 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:25 pm Gut wrenching win. Can't make this kind of script up.
Wins are never gut wrenching. Only losses are.
Well said. I stand corrected.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:11 am

Perspective relevant no doubt. Gate had little offense to throw at us. Without RPO plays Brenerman is not nearly the threat as usual. Without Twyman at 100% also zeroes out their run threat. Valid points. In my opinion neither of these detracts fron Lehigh's D yesterday. Even if they were at 100% the result would not have changed.
We played with intensity and confidence that we havent seen in years. This team has bought into Gilmore's program.
A lot of individual performances stood out but to me the big takeaway is that each level played excellently as units. The key to a good D.
Kudos to Coach K and his staff for putting this D together. The delayed blitzes were well called and executed.
Coach Brisson and staff likewise are starting to see results from their efforts. As with the D there wereca number of excellent individual performances. Monaco started out a bit shaky but calmed down after the 1st few series. As did the OL. Brisson called a very good game. Monaco shook his happy feet and made his reads All the RBs played to their strengths and each contributed.
The addition of the QB under C was damn near brilliant. Brisson ran it with 2 backs, straight I formation and thebregular offset RB. Credit to the OL. They gave the RBs lanes to run in.
Personal note. I still hate WR bubble screens. :D

The team may not need a Bye week but, I certainly do. :lol:
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:14 pm

Sounds like Burbage will be out for the year?
Bibbens should be good to go for Fordham? Monaco should carry Devon's pads the next two weeks for that throw....

Need to get healthy. Fordham has some real good individual talent but wildly inconsistent. Greenhagen and Cunningham are high-level FBS linebackers. Probably the only PL team left that can match Lehigh's athleticism imo. Holy Cross and Georgetown will try to win in a scrum.
TMH

Post by TMH » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:59 am

Just a word of caution. Colgate is now 0-6, having lost all their other games rather badly.
We are still in the beginning stages of a work in progress but in the PL, that may be enough.

Note: this is coming from someone who owns 5 pairs of rose-colored glasses :-)

I don't know if this question was addressed but why didn't we attempt a field goal on the 2nd last drive. It would have been about a 37 yard attempt and provided the 2 score margin, I think.
RichH

Post by RichH » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:33 pm

Burbage looks like a high ankle. 4-6 weeks . So likely out for the year.
Rose colored glasses? My pair well worn now. ;)
True Gate not a good team. Without Brenerman at full strength running his funky RPO style, Gate doesnt have any difference makers on its O. Not sure how it factors in for our PL games. 1-0 tho a good start.

Fordham has a very good QB and speed on its O. D looks good on paper but its night. owl is spot on- Rams are very inconsistent.
PL has achieved parity within itself. At the cost of noncompetitive with our opponents.smh. Any team that gets hot can take the PL. Bison not yet but they can pick up an upset or two.
datruph

Post by datruph » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:20 am

Once again LUFAN chimes in with negativity. He's the guy on the block that rolls the blinds down and turns off the lights at 7pm with both cars parked out front on Halloween night and doesn't answer the door. The same guy who doesnt put up one light for Christmas and doesnt tip his garbage man or mailman at Christmas. He obviously has sticks in the fire and has a miserable life!!! That put aside the TEAM looked great. Good football and as I said before, just give it time. The defense is really doing well and I can see why they dominated the spring. Against competition at our level they are going to do well. The truth is, we are just not on Villanovas level yet. The offense has showed signs of life and I think they just need time together. Monaco has made big-time throws, decisions and taken a beating. He alluded to that in a nice way in his post game interview. I do hope another receiver steps up with Burbage hurt. Dambach looks very good along with Schneider Allen and Hill. The o-line with Fournier, Passerelli, Gurth and Fest seem to be coming around. On d, Woetzel,Haffner are very good with Morrow and Davis. They placed an under-sized nose in number 69 that seemed to be very active. It's nice to see dececnt football played on both sides. Admin needs to block LUFAN from posting because everytime he does, we all get a little dumber...Keep up the work guys and when you win the Patriot league I'm sure Mr Miserable(LUFAN) will say the cheerleaders were ugly or something negative.