Fordham

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
ngineer

Re: Fordham

Post by ngineer » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:15 am

Lehigh74 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:56 pm In the same vain, many of our runs seem poorly designed. The announcers mentioned several times that our running plays are very slow to develop. By the time the running back gets the ball and starts to move forward the defense is already converging on him. Nonetheless, it was a great win. We should continue to improve since we have so many freshman that are adjusting to college football and really contributing.
Absolutely agree with this. I can't count the number of times today I complained to my fellow attendees the stupid play calling when it comes to running. Takes forever for backs to get to line...moreover, shotgun formation down at goal line on a running play handing the ball 3-4 yards backward! Whatever happened to QB under center and a quick dive if you insist on trying the middle? Early in the game we tried running between the tackles when they had 9 men in the box! Can't be done. Doesn't out QB have the latitude to check off and throw a quick out or slant?

We had some great performances today on both sides of the ball, but we made the game harder than it had to be...luckily Fordham made it even harder for themselves. Very undisciplined. Numerous penalties really hurt them on a number of occasions.

Regardless, a great game and effort by the players. I still think we need a new 'voice' on offense.

Shadow1

Post by Shadow1 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:47 am

Anyone know the QB injury status?
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:21 pm

No. But it certainly looked like a leg injury of some kind based upon Monaco's limp going off the field.
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:39 pm

Lehigh74 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:56 pm In the same vain, many of our runs seem poorly designed. The announcers mentioned several times that our running plays are very slow to develop. By the time the running back gets the ball and starts to move forward the defense is already converging on him. Nonetheless, it was a great win. We should continue to improve since we have so many freshman that are adjusting to college football and really contributing.
This is a “read” scheme and the QB rides the RB as he reads the D, hence the delay. The flaw is that Lehigh is yet to “pull” this year. Demorat pulled and ran a long TD. If there is no “read” the play should be more downhill whether zone or gap scheme.

Bottom line is this....Xs and Os aside, this team is gritty as TG said. D gave up big yards and plays but made big plays to keep
Lehigh in the game.

Another solidly called game by OC in my opinion. Hill should be premier RB. QB play is simply inconsistent, not all bad, just inconsistent.

3-3 record is pleasant surprise with winnable games ahead.
van

Post by van » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:49 pm

agree on QB, not all bad, but if he can't run the read option, stop calling it, get someone who can, or go back to the quick kick
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:51 pm

Amazing run of games here, with each game's outcome determining first place. I agreed it is a 'read' scheme, but it only works if there is a real threat of a QB run. Monaco is not running. While he can 'move' a bit to move the pocket, he's not a running threat and the opponent's D knows it. Fordham was jamming the box the whole game. Nine in the box at times. We have to be able to adjust when that happens and make them pay. Bibbens was one on one several times, but it seemed Monaco not confident to throw unless he sees separation. A confidence has to develop that the separation will occur. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a gutsy kid and a leader, it just seems there is still hesitation in his decision making which allows the DB to react in time tome a play or gets sacked.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:35 pm

I agree there seems little sense in running RO plays without a running QB. Rams DL too good for slow developing plays. Hoyas D is even better with a very good DL led by a 300+lb DT. D is a bit less athletic but much more disciplined.
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:53 am

ngineer wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:51 pm Amazing run of games here, with each game's outcome determining first place. I agreed it is a 'read' scheme, but it only works if there is a real threat of a QB run. Monaco is not running. While he can 'move' a bit to move the pocket, he's not a running threat and the opponent's D knows it. Fordham was jamming the box the whole game. Nine in the box at times. We have to be able to adjust when that happens and make them pay. Bibbens was one on one several times, but it seemed Monaco not confident to throw unless he sees separation. A confidence has to develop that the separation will occur. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a gutsy kid and a leader, it just seems there is still hesitation in his decision making which allows the DB to react in time tome a play or gets sacked.
Well said. Big difference between “throwing to an open WR” vs “throwing a WR open”.....have to throw to the window not the body. In run game QB doesn’t have to be a prolific runner to use RO as a staple. Just make the read and take 5-6 yards, that will keep the D honest. It may be more the fear of injury?? Not sure, but some kids just do not want to run.
RichH

Post by RichH » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:50 am

LUFAN
True enough on ROs. TM runs well on sprint outs. Straight ahead he seems tentative and a bit awkward. Regardless, ROs run inside tackle require OL to hold blocks longer. Hard to do vs a packed box particularly when LBs arent forced out of their gaps by offensive movement. Once you see that ROs wont be effective adapt. Run a belly series.
Agree tho. Overall OC called a good game. TM made better reads.Still inconsistent in execution but a good part of that was Fordham pressure. Neither OL showed much aptitude at pass blocking.
Watching Hoya-Lafayette game. Hoyas are pretty good. Disciplined. Not much talent on offense. Bunches on D.
One takeaway. Garrett is an abysmal game coach.
Doc Qb

Post by Doc Qb » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:46 pm