Redshirting

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
Bison_137

Re: Redshirting

Post by Bison_137 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:55 pm

RichH wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:07 pm
Bison_137 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:26 pm
lfnadmin wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:01 pm

Not just Wofford. All schools except the schools of the Patriot League. It doesn't matter if they're colleges or universities, non-scholarship or scholarship. They either make a mockery of the rules (Ivies), or they offer them (literally everyone else except the Patriot League Seven).
Most PL schools make far more of a mockery of the rules than do the Ivy's.
Doesnt seem all that possible. How?

First, I don't think the Ivy's make almost any mockery of the rules. An occasional player drops out for a semester to maintain a year of eligibility and that's about it. In the PL, players at some of the schools are allowed to add a second major or stretch out classes to get an artificial 5th year for athletic reasons. That doesn't happen in the Ivy's. And a few of the injury redshirts over the years have been very suspicious.

van

Post by van » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:29 pm

I know Lehigh red shirts wrestlers pretty often, but I am only aware of 5th year guys in football for injury years, not aware of any 5th year for double majors although some of the injury 5th year guys do get double majors or grad school year
RichH

Post by RichH » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:56 am

Agree on the funky medshirts. Know of 2 teams that were warned by the PL. The other examples are surely possible but I think very rare. For the Ivy, I wouldnt discount so easily the rule bending. It may well be less common in football than in lax and wrestling but it does happen. Football preps a fair number of kids particularly at Yale and Harvard. I note that Lehigh used to do that also pre schollie.
Whether it is rife or not is irrelevant to what we as a conference need to do to become competitive again in FCS football. LFN may be hyping Ivy hypocrisy a bit much but he is absolutely correct that the situation cannot continue.