Bucknell

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Re: Bucknell

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:23 pm

I'll be interested to see how things play out with the transfer portal.

To be fair, given how the signing period moved up many of these kids did not know who their coach was going to be. Coen was definitely a pretty reserved CEO type coach (aka the Mack Brown of the PL). When he put together a good staff Lehigh won and often won big. When he picked the wrong replacements, not so much.

Gilmore is clearly a very hands on coach. There's been plenty of times the tv camera will pan to him addressing a player on the sideline. I haven't seen him completely lose it during a game but I have to believe he's quite colorful in practice.

You can still be a bit of a hardass and succeed with today's players. Saban, Meyer, Jimbo Fisher, Kelly, Peterson (Washington) and Harbaugh to an extent aren't afraid to ruffle some feathers. With that said, those are all highly successful coaches with a track record that players can appreciate.

Gilmore has a losing career record and he was fired by a fellow league institution. He has as much to prove to the players as the players to him. Now he's lost two straight games; 1 to the school that fired him and 1 to a beloved Lehigh alum. That's not a good look and I can see why some players might question where this is headed. I've been wondering that since January. It's like Sterrett was trying to find a 21st century John Whitehead. I'm might be too young to remember Whitehead but I say with confidence Gilmore ain't Whitehead...lol.

These next two weeks are big for the program imo. Things could really get ugly with 4 straight losses to end the season. Especially when you consider the level of competition. The PL is awful so if you can't finish with a winning record you really stink. It's not like Sacred Heart is good either. They're likely just considerably "less bad".

Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:52 pm

datruph wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:15 pm Would like to post a quickie to all transferring under-classman. It is your choice to be able to transfer. Be sure in your journey that it is for the correct reasons. Too start as a freshman is a privilege in any d1 school in the country. THE GRASS ISN'T GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE...YES, D1 sports are hard, so is life. If you start a pattern in life at an early age of in essence quitting because the team sucks, the coaches are HILTLERS, I cant get playing time, i hate the school which are just hurdles, this same quitting will become who you are. You will quit on marraige, you will quit on your kids, you will quit on your job when the going gets tough. None of it is good. LIFE IS UNFAIR. It comes at you. You kids have been brought up in a world like gaming which when you are losing you hit, START OVER. Life doesn't allow you to start over. Lehigh is not an avenue to the NFL. Thats not the reason you come to schools like Lehigh. .0000003 kids make it to the NFL and the life expectancy is 2 1/2 years. Say you make 600k and total out at 1.5 million. Good start in life..Right???? Agents, taxes and blown money you will be broke in 5 years. No degree or some degree from NOBODY CARES univ or a school like Liberty or Southern New Hampshire. Most kids and parents do not have guidance or experience with this brutal world of college football. Nobody's fault!!! Its hard to make sense of the ridiculous. When coaches expect you to cheer for your replacement!!! Its modern day slavery. IT ALL STINKS...I totally get it!!!Use the system like the system will use you. Get the best education you can and most importantly when you transfer, do it for the education, not the football...hope this helps all Lehigh transfers!!!
There are MANY other reasons people transfer besides a screaming, (negative) coach (although you are right -- that stuff no longer works). You a mind reader datruph or have you talked to the folks leaving? Could be lots of reasons.
HFO

Post by HFO » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:01 am

Dave C is the man. Can't wait for day Simon, Sterrett and Gilmore are all gone. Don't like how Lehigh is being managed these days and poor strategic choices and wasted capital.