SHU

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
LUFAN

Re: SHU

Post by LUFAN » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:22 pm

ngineer wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:53 pm If neither Shoup or Beesmer can move the ball, I'd like to see Summerville get a chance to see how good he is under fire. Reportedly has the strongest arm and can run a bit. Hopefully, with some OL starters back in the fold, the QB may not need to run as much.
Monaco was undeniably bad for 5 straight weeks but Lehigh allowed him get comfortable. Now the same team should throw Shoup and Beesmer aside if they can’t move the ball against SHU?

Better yet, why not see if the Lehigh commit can leave his high school game and come play.

Her is another thought....Lehigh should bench the whole upper class secondary if SHU connects on a TD pass and play all freshman.

Clearly some of you folks are just not football people on this forum. Please think before you type.

datruph

Post by datruph » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:59 pm

Agree with ngineer. This coaching staff has opted to play a hurt Monoco over Shoup and Beesmer game after game. That raises atleast one of my coaching eyebrows!!!He's either earned a tremendous amount of there respect or he is far superior in ability. I do think Shoup is the odd man out. Lehigh has to be careful because behind this offensive line you need 6 qbs. If Monoco graduates and doesn't take a fifth year or transfers and Beesmer starts over Shoup this week, you may get a two for one exit. Lehigh cannot afford this. Summerville is tiny and throws from a low arm slot. A lot of passes will be knocked down. His arm is decent but behind this line its not about arm talent its about staying alive. I can tell you one thing there will be no RPO's in the offense this week or next. Cannot afford another lost qb. With Hope gone and Z still out (maybe) that leaves Allen and Lucas. Seen Allen getting up slowly as well as Jorge. With no o-lineman stock-piled for next year lets direct snap to 6 rb's and run dbl tight. 3 yards and a cloud of dust. If Monoco is clearly out I do think that Shoup is the next best qb in the pile but I do not think that will be the way this plays out.
datruph

Post by datruph » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:01 pm

LUFAN...life aint fair...
lfnadmin

Post by lfnadmin » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:45 pm

The chance of Gilmore and the offense opening up the playbook this week has to be close to zero. I usually am not an advocate of rotating QBs, but maybe it's worthwhile in this case to do so? Alternate possessions with Shoup on one series, Bees on the other. Of course the challenge for this OL to have a good game and get some momentum going into 155. String some drives together and eat up some clock.

This is a show-me game for the offense. Show me that we should have some hope going into 155 in 2 weeks.
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:23 pm

datruph wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:01 pm LUFAN...life aint fair...
DATRUPH.....not sure anyone mentioned fairness....but you seem to be the moral police on this forum. According to you, kids who decide that maybe Lehigh isn’t the right place will also quit on their marriage.

You are all over the place and irrational. Simply saying one thing...Lehigh has two QBs that have gotten reps to backup the senior, who many here agree was chosen maybe not so much because he was better, but because he was a senior who could manage the offense. The Lehigh offense is not simple and setting protections in any college O is no easy task, made only harder behind a beaten up OL. Asking a freshmen to step into that situation is a recipe for disaster.

Life is certainly not fair....that we agree on, but it has nothing to do with giving Shoup and Beesmer a chance to settle into the offense and get comfortable.
RichH

Post by RichH » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:48 pm

At this point there is no getting comfortable behind our OL for any body. A lot QB bashing a shallow view of our O problems. TM was streaky good and bad for his first 4 or 5 games. He did pick up his performance as the OL crumbled. He is pretty good at maneuvering inside the pocket. He rarely had any pocket at all. Within his limitations(a weak arm) he is capable. Why OC didnt move the pocket remains a puzzle.
Shoup is a quick agile QB with a weak arm who likes to run and does it well. Beesmer has a decent accurate arm who can run but has gotten virtually no reps. Sommerville a very good arm and athletic. Zero reps. He does have a low arm set on passes. As do many other QBs in college and NFL. A rather disingenuous knock on him.
In sum we have 4 QBs all of whom lack one thing or another. Not one is a complete package or stellar at what they do well.
That said QB is not our central issue. That is the OL. First 4 games a revovling door of starters and 2s. Zarkoskie eventually settled on a group which did improve over the games they stayed as a unit. Even improved they were at best mediocre. Injuries and we saw what happened vs Bucknell. Hopefully all back this week.
I dont agree with those saying we should run a vanilla O with a limited playbook. A good idea if we had a run attack that could run the clock. We dont.Not that SHU has a dominant D. They dont. But we havent shown the ability all season. Why would it miraculously appear now. Particularly when our 2 best will not play.
No matter the QB move the pocket. Change passing lanes. Open up our medium and short patterns to give us a pseudo run game.

BTW for those in the NY area the game will be telecast on SNY at noon.
van

Post by van » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:22 pm

game should also be on NEC front row, I hope

agree with Rich that QB is a insignificant issue compared to OL, I still think we could run the ball better if we quit the zone read scheme and put QB under center more often with 2 backs or tail back
News
Site Admin

Post by News » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:12 pm

A Winning Season For Two Teams On The Line As Lehigh Travels To Sacred Heart

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/a ... red-heart/

For those asking, yes, it will be available on NEC Front row, there is a link to the broadcast in the game preview above.
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:43 pm

RichH wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:48 pm At this point there is no getting comfortable behind our OL for any body. A lot QB bashing a shallow view of our O problems. TM was streaky good and bad for his first 4 or 5 games. He did pick up his performance as the OL crumbled. He is pretty good at maneuvering inside the pocket. He rarely had any pocket at all. Within his limitations(a weak arm) he is capable. Why OC didnt move the pocket remains a puzzle.
Shoup is a quick agile QB with a weak arm who likes to run and does it well. Beesmer has a decent accurate arm who can run but has gotten virtually no reps. Sommerville a very good arm and athletic. Zero reps. He does have a low arm set on passes. As do many other QBs in college and NFL. A rather disingenuous knock on him.
In sum we have 4 QBs all of whom lack one thing or another. Not one is a complete package or stellar at what they do well.
That said QB is not our central issue. That is the OL. First 4 games a revovling door of starters and 2s. Zarkoskie eventually settled on a group which did improve over the games they stayed as a unit. Even improved they were at best mediocre. Injuries and we saw what happened vs Bucknell. Hopefully all back this week.
I dont agree with those saying we should run a vanilla O with a limited playbook. A good idea if we had a run attack that could run the clock. We dont.Not that SHU has a dominant D. They dont. But we havent shown the ability all season. Why would it miraculously appear now. Particularly when our 2 best will not play.
No matter the QB move the pocket. Change passing lanes. Open up our medium and short patterns to give us a pseudo run game.

BTW for those in the NY area the game will be telecast on SNY at noon.
Well said....arm angle, running ability, arm strength are all irrelevant without IQ, composure, and the “it factor”....the ability to bring energy and elevate their team. Long list of QBs with average arms who won championships.

Lehigh has to aggressive pursue OL between now and ESD. They really need depth badly!
RichH

Post by RichH » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:15 pm

True enough LUFAN. A QB is much more than just an arm.or legs. We've had as many successful QBs with neither as we have had great passers and athletes. It is great when we have those studs. We dont right now. Our question is who can be our best leader.
But, back to my rant. An OL is essential for any offense. Give our skills at least an average OL and we will win games.