RIVALRY

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Re: RIVALRY

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:47 pm

LUFAN wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:36 pm
Go Lehigh TU Owl wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:19 pm
LUFAN wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:08 pm

I actually steamed the game..but thanks for the concern. Monaco is one dimensional. Indisputable. He was fine with a clean pocket.
I watched Degenhart at Elite 11 and followed his progress. Kid was a legit recruit. Point is...not sure you can grasp this...but QB is only as good as his supporting cast. But for people like you who watch football like my wife does, you likely miss the real game.
There wasn't a QB on Lehigh's team that was going to truly light it up given the OL play and lack of a consistent running attack. Maybe someone could have done better and been able to stay healthy? Perhaps.

Then you realize that Degenhardt has barely a 50% completion rate with Cozier, Mountain, Asante and Ayeni at his disposal. He has a very solid supporting cast but has struggled with accuracy and touch. It's been an issue for the HC offense all season. His strength passing is the deep ball.

Sorry, I watch in much more detail than your wife. I was in Fargo last week for the NDSU-South Dakota game to see a "real team" play a "real game". This week I opted to stay home and focus on the HC-GTown, Lehigh-Lafayette and PSU-OSU games. As well as Montana and Montana State since I consider it an obligation as a former resident of Montana.
Impressive resume’ of games you watched this weekend. You must be quite the analyst. I think we’d agree that NDSU students are not quite the same as Lehigh students, so yea it’s probably better football. Point is that you made a comment about an all-conference QB who never started a game. Maybe he would be that good, but “prediction” was baseless. That’s just one of many ridiculous things you have posted. No worries TU. Keep predicting. I’ll be standing by waiting for your wisdom.
I would have said the same thing if Shoup or Beesmer or whoever was the starting QB! With Portorreal and Bibbens at WR there was an opportunity to put up some good numbers to be in the mix behind Breneman. Going into the season DeMorat and Johnson were the only quarterbacks who had solid experience outside of the Preseason OPOY. O'Malley was a mess for Lafayette. Chesney didn't name Degenhardt the starter over Considine until late in camp. Clifford, who started quite a few games in 2018, left the team if iirc. Bucknell finished last season with Earle but with Cecchini coming in the spot figured to be up for grabs.

Why did my belief in Monaco to start the season bother you so much? And please back up the many ridiculous things I post. I hardly make crazy predictions about anything. I try to be as rationale and fair as possible. You're having a bad day man.

Lehigh74

Post by Lehigh74 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:40 am

My biggest problem with yesterday’s game and the whole season for that matter, was our total ineptitude in the red zone. Three times yesterday we had to settle for field goals. If one of those three was a touchdown we win the game. We had 4 or 5 times during the season when we had first and goal at the 1 yard line and didn’t get a touchdown. Those failures cost us several wins. What is really puzzling about our red zone problems is the total lack of creativity by the coaches. How many times do you have to run up the middle from the shotgun without success, before you realize you should try something else? Albert Einstein once said “the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result”
Last edited by Lehigh74 on Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
CHIP72

Post by CHIP72 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:44 am

Lehigh74 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:40 am My biggest problem with yesterday’s game and the whole season for that matter, was our total ineptitude in the red zone. Three times yesterday we had to settle for field goals. If one of those three was a touchdown we win the game. We had 4 or 5 times during the season when we had first and goal at the 1 yard line and didn’t get a touchdown. Those failures cost us several wins. What is really puzzling about our red zone problems is the total lack of creativity by the coaches. How many times do you have to run up the middle from the shotgun without success, before you realize you should try something else. Albert Einstein once said “the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result”
Good point - the failures when Lehigh got inside the LC 10 yard line along with their four turnovers ultimately did cost them the game. As someone who attended the Merrimack game and saw how the Mountain Hawks were unable to score on 1st and goal inside the 1 yard line, I can attest those issues were a season-long problem.
van

Post by van » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:03 am

Lehigh74 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:40 am My biggest problem with yesterday’s game and the whole season for that matter, was our total ineptitude in the red zone. Three times yesterday we had to settle for field goals. If one of those three was a touchdown we win the game. We had 4 or 5 times during the season when we had first and goal at the 1 yard line and didn’t get a touchdown. Those failures cost us several wins. What is really puzzling about our red zone problems is the total lack of creativity by the coaches. How many times do you have to run up the middle from the shotgun without success, before you realize you should try something else? Albert Einstein once said “the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result”
Exactly, and that is why we need a new oc
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:47 am

Lehigh74 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:40 am My biggest problem with yesterday’s game and the whole season for that matter, was our total ineptitude in the red zone. Three times yesterday we had to settle for field goals. If one of those three was a touchdown we win the game. We had 4 or 5 times during the season when we had first and goal at the 1 yard line and didn’t get a touchdown. Those failures cost us several wins. What is really puzzling about our red zone problems is the total lack of creativity by the coaches. How many times do you have to run up the middle from the shotgun without success, before you realize you should try something else? Albert Einstein once said “the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result”
Well said. Red zone offense was a problem all year. Lack of creativity...seemingly afraid to turn the ball over and settling for FGs. It cost Lehigh the game yesterday for sure.
Marco

Post by Marco » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:14 pm

The offense was pretty pitiful all year. I don't see how we can consider a season successful with losses to Bucknell (ugh) and Lafayette (Double Ugh).

As someone said, just on TD when we were in point blank range wins the game. Beesmer acquitted himself well for the most part. I think Nick Shafnisky faced a similar baptism by fire in 2013, as a freshman. It's quite a bit to expect of a rookie on the biggest stage, who did not have the fortune of lots of snaps, as did the Lafayette QB.

All this being said, for what it's worth, the team could have been 8 - 4 with any kind of an offense. I would never be overly hard on a new head coach and I certainly believe that TG deserves four years before we pass judgment, but I have had plenty of time to measure and to evaluate Scott Brisson as an offensive coordinator. In my opinion, he needs to go.

The measure of the OC is "can he score enough points to win close games?"

He fails.
mookie

Post by mookie » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:47 pm

The best Lehigh QB...by far... is on the wrestling team.
NJLehighFan

Post by NJLehighFan » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:02 pm

4-7 and losing to Lafayette is about where you'd expect this team to end up. I think Woertzel played his heart out and Bibbens had a really nice game. Field goal kicker was good.They are in rebuilding.
I do think you have to try to convert on one of those 4th and shorts as you need to have some confidence in your offense. Coming into this game 4-6 you gotta convert a 4th and 1 in the red zone.
I agree that all of the Patriot league is really down so next year is a clean slate. Hopefully Gilmore has some recruiting chops and can bring in the fresh talent.
van

Post by van » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:48 pm

With all the young guys playing this year I would not expect much difference in next year, probably not many seasoned guys to replace senior starters and a lot to expect fr to step in at those spots
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:35 pm

I am hoping Rosen decides to come back for a medical redshirt. We could certainly use his experience next year. OL took a lot of lumps, but hopefully will have learned 'what it takes' to succeed. We also missed Portoreal on Saturday. Having him with Bibbens out there can make a secondary less aggressive toward the run. Disappointing but not surprising season. But I see a lot of potential for next year, and if Gilmore can bring in another solid class, we should improve.