ALL PL TEAM

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
RichH

ALL PL TEAM

Post by RichH » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:31 am

Chesney Coach of the Year

Cozier Holy Cross OPOY
Hamm Lafayette DPOY
Shoemaker Lafayette ROY

Bibbens and Woetzel 1st Team
Jack Bush 1st team for ST

Haffner Portorreal and McCloskey 2nd team

Congrats to all the Lehigh winners

LU808

Re: ALL PL TEAM

Post by LU808 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:03 pm

How does Malik Hamm get Defensive POY over Woetzel when Keith is at or near top FCS defensive categories nationally? Makes NO sense.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:36 pm

LU808 wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:03 pm How does Malik Hamm get Defensive POY over Woetzel when Keith is at or near top FCS defensive categories nationally? Makes NO sense.
Surprised Hamm got it. I figured Greenhagen likely with Woetzel being the other possible candidate. To Hamm's credit he is a VERY disruptive force from his DE position. His raw stats are never going to be as good as the a first team LB due to the position he plays.
LU808

Post by LU808 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:03 pm

Still can't mentally justify a Buck Buchanan finalist not getting selected as Defensive POY.

LB v DT - importance to the overall D performance is not comparable. A great LB makes the overall D so much better.
Hawktalker

Post by Hawktalker » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:25 pm

The league's seven coaches vote for this, right? So if one more coach voted for Hamm than Woetzel, that decides it? Can coaches vote for their own player? I'm trying to understand why It's not Woetzel. He really deserved it.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:57 pm

Coaches cannot vote for their own players. But they can vote for another player who would be an unlikely winner that would take a vote away from the deserving one. I agree that Woetzel should have been DPOY. He was all over and did it all. Hamm is very good, but not the overall defensive force Keith was. If Garrett was a conniver, he would not vote for Woetzel but another opponent's defensive player that was unlikely to win. Would be interested to see the vote distribution. Is that published?
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:42 pm

Well, speaking of unjustified guys getting DPOY, Remember 2008, Lafayette guy was favorite to get the award. Then after the game ended he essentially assaulted JB Clark and another Lehigh player. He clearly should have been hit with two personal fouls, which would have sat him two games the next year, except he had no eligibility left. Yet Coaches gave him DPOY, No ideA who was second in the voting, but that guy should have won.
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:27 am

This may seem hard to digest, but distaste for an opposing program’s coach has an impact on voting for post season awards. No question the kids should not be penalized...but it happens all the time. Woetzel was easily DPOY.
Bison_137

Post by Bison_137 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:31 am

ngineer wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:57 pm Coaches cannot vote for their own players. But they can vote for another player who would be an unlikely winner that would take a vote away from the deserving one. I agree that Woetzel should have been DPOY. He was all over and did it all. Hamm is very good, but not the overall defensive force Keith was. If Garrett was a conniver, he would not vote for Woetzel but another opponent's defensive player that was unlikely to win. Would be interested to see the vote distribution. Is that published?
It is not published. But it is reviewed closely by the league and a coach might be questioned for making an obviously wrong choice. And it seems like a lot of the voting results become known by the coaches. I think the chance of any PL coach making a mockery of the voting is about zero.

I think the coaches' vote is a lot more neutral than the opinions on any PL message board.