Transfers are not a trend.

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
datruph

Transfers are not a trend.

Post by datruph » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:02 am

Transfer rule is good. It balances the playing field verse coach and player. Unless the NCAA or more importantly the Big 5 step in, this is here to stay. When snakes like Nick Saban, Urban (the criminal recruiter) Meyer and Pete Carroll can come in to a 17-18 year olds home and lie to both the innocent player and misinformed parent with no consequences and ruin this kids chances to play in the NFL or severely mess up his academic future there should be options. These kids and parents do not understand the rigors of college football both physically and academically and most make mistakes. The system self-cleans itself currently. If a kid transfers and he's not good enough he will transfer again and again or quit. The grass isnt greener!!! If a kid is good enough he will play and everything is good.
If a kid transfers because of a better opportunity academically then great. Chuck Martin( Notre Dame, Mia of Ohio) once told me to have these kids use the team and instituition for whatever it can because the team and instituition are going to eat them up and spit them out. These Sabans and Meyers cheat, lie and abuse the system then quit and go get paid more money somewhere else. Why cant the athlete be afforded the same opportunities? If an athlete needs to transfer for any reason they should be allowed too. Most of these kids are use to being the top athlete in a program and when they come to a big school and find the coaches dont care who you are that you are just another number it is a shock. Doesnt make them bad kids. The youth system sets these kids up for failure the first time a kid is recruited to play for the rival down the street with the promise his dad can coach and the team will pay for there electric bill. These kids do not know what adversity is or how to grind through it. They run in FEAR. FEAR can be defined two ways "F" Everything And Run or "F Everything And Rise....

Sundayamqb

Re: Transfers are not a trend.

Post by Sundayamqb » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:29 pm

datruph wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:02 am Transfer rule is good. It balances the playing field verse coach and player. Unless the NCAA or more importantly the Big 5 step in, this is here to stay. When snakes like Nick Saban, Urban (the criminal recruiter) Meyer and Pete Carroll can come in to a 17-18 year olds home and lie to both the innocent player and misinformed parent with no consequences and ruin this kids chances to play in the NFL or severely mess up his academic future there should be options. These kids and parents do not understand the rigors of college football both physically and academically and most make mistakes. The system self-cleans itself currently. If a kid transfers and he's not good enough he will transfer again and again or quit. The grass isnt greener!!! If a kid is good enough he will play and everything is good.
If a kid transfers because of a better opportunity academically then great. Chuck Martin( Notre Dame, Mia of Ohio) once told me to have these kids use the team and instituition for whatever it can because the team and instituition are going to eat them up and spit them out. These Sabans and Meyers cheat, lie and abuse the system then quit and go get paid more money somewhere else. Why cant the athlete be afforded the same opportunities? If an athlete needs to transfer for any reason they should be allowed too. Most of these kids are use to being the top athlete in a program and when they come to a big school and find the coaches dont care who you are that you are just another number it is a shock. Doesnt make them bad kids. The youth system sets these kids up for failure the first time a kid is recruited to play for the rival down the street with the promise his dad can coach and the team will pay for there electric bill. These kids do not know what adversity is or how to grind through it. They run in FEAR. FEAR can be defined two ways "F" Everything And Run or "F Everything And Rise....
+1 ...

I'm not sure I would have expressed it quite this way, but yes, some coaches are better bullshitters than ethical models. I've seen incredible student-athletes destroyed by good and bad programs alike (and the attractions of a college campus).

The more freedom to transfer the better.

Take the money out of sports and see what happens. Money has ruined youth and college sports.
lfnadmin

Post by lfnadmin » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:46 am

The way transfers are currently being implemented in the NCAA is nothing short of a disaster. There are so few limitations on this free agency [which is what it is] that it is comical and almost begs kids and families to make rash, uninformed decisions based on athletics only, not academics. Even pro leagues have limitations on having players move on and off teams, and of course it involves salaries. The NCAA has no salary structure or any meaningful restriction on movement. It is idiotic.

I am not against transferring - far from it. I understand kids want to play closer to home, want to pursue a different athletics opportunity, etc. What I have a huge problem with is kids declaring themselves free agents during the course of a season in progress. It's not fair to the school or the program or the academic side of the house. After the season or semester, that's totally fine. Happy trails.

Personally I think the NCAA could do two things to improve the entire process. 1. Have the portal only be "open" from January 15th to July 15th, 2. If the player's coach is hired away outside this Jan/July zone as well, the school that is to be poached will be compensated 500% of the coaches' next season salary. This would make it illegal for kids to jump off the ship in the middle of the season, and it would basically finally put some sort of limitation on head coach movement that has been the bane of college athletics the last fifty years. If some school is crazy enough to pay a school 500% o the guy's salary to get him early, go ahead, but at least the original school gets something.
datruph

Post by datruph » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:41 am

I like the jan-july zone. works for everybody. very rarely is a coached poached during the season so i do not think that is an issue. i do think that players that announce during the season is very selfish. football no longer is a team sport it is a me-me sport like all the rest. but whos at fault? the instituitions for allowing coaches to rape a program and destroy kids futures or is it the kids themselves looking for better avenues? whatever restrictions that are placed on kids there should be an equivalent on the coaches. d1 sports mostly has come to accepted modern day slavery. we pay and cheer for that kid for our entertainment but have no idea that the coach is playing the kid with big injuries, failing classes or whatever issue he has. we just look at sat afternoons. these kids need a voice against the coaches stupidity because the coaches will use them until they break and then it becomes next man up. there should be a balance.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:40 pm

lfnadmin wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:46 am The way transfers are currently being implemented in the NCAA is nothing short of a disaster. There are so few limitations on this free agency [which is what it is] that it is comical and almost begs kids and families to make rash, uninformed decisions based on athletics only, not academics. Even pro leagues have limitations on having players move on and off teams, and of course it involves salaries. The NCAA has no salary structure or any meaningful restriction on movement. It is idiotic.

I am not against transferring - far from it. I understand kids want to play closer to home, want to pursue a different athletics opportunity, etc. What I have a huge problem with is kids declaring themselves free agents during the course of a season in progress. It's not fair to the school or the program or the academic side of the house. After the season or semester, that's totally fine. Happy trails.

Personally I think the NCAA could do two things to improve the entire process. 1. Have the portal only be "open" from January 15th to July 15th, 2. If the player's coach is hired away outside this Jan/July zone as well, the school that is to be poached will be compensated 500% of the coaches' next season salary. This would make it illegal for kids to jump off the ship in the middle of the season, and it would basically finally put some sort of limitation on head coach movement that has been the bane of college athletics the last fifty years. If some school is crazy enough to pay a school 500% o the guy's salary to get him early, go ahead, but at least the original school gets something.
+1
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:40 am

A question on the concept of a school(A) getting paid if another school(B) poaches their coach..... Don't they have buy-out clauses in the big time contracts? Granted, the poaching school(B) usually pays, but that is some deterrent.

As far as the kids go, I pretty much agree with everything that has been said.
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:28 am

lfnadmin wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:46 am The way transfers are currently being implemented in the NCAA is nothing short of a disaster. There are so few limitations on this free agency [which is what it is] that it is comical and almost begs kids and families to make rash, uninformed decisions based on athletics only, not academics. Even pro leagues have limitations on having players move on and off teams, and of course it involves salaries. The NCAA has no salary structure or any meaningful restriction on movement. It is idiotic.

I don’t entirely agree or disagree....but if ESD were moved to July it would fix the problem. Kids are bailing mid-season because they have a small window to market themself before ESD in December.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:45 pm

" ... if ESD were moved to July it would fix the problem. Kids are bailing mid-season because they have a small window to market themself before ESD in December."

Why not just get rid of ESD, period?

Wouldn't sticking with Feb. 5 have a similar effect?

How many kids really know this time of year where they want to go? How many of them feel pressured into signing?

I'm not keen on the early admission frenzy (thought it's great if you have known for years where you want to go; how i got into LU).

I wonder if any LU football players got caught up in this: https://www.wfmz.com/news/area/lehighva ... 495d4.html
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:01 pm

I think that is a primary reason you are seeing this transfer frenzy. A lot of kids make decisions early when they haven't thought everything out, but either get pressured or swept up in the momentum of others announcing.