TRANSFERS

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
datruph

TRANSFERS

Post by datruph » Sat May 02, 2020 12:56 pm

Hope everybody doing well...Thinking of transfers and how damaging they are to teams in D1-AA ball. Is there anything more disrespectful then a kid waiting his turn and finally hes ready and a transfer comes in and his college career is over. HARSH,HARSH world. At top level football top twenty I can see it but not at our level. I think it sends an awful message. I think it hurts the program a lot and it sends an ugly message... These are smart kids who just enjoy the sport. Most are not looking to go pro. Some are on 25 percent scholarships. Its just an ugly sad situation...I think all the other kids at the position are lossed for the entire season once a transfer comes in. It is demoralizing. How can coaches look in to these kids eyes and there parents eyes an honestly think they do not hate them. At top 20 schools in the country cut-throat is okay because it is all about winning...The only thing that is more disrespectful then a transfer coming in and replacing a kid is an alumni's kid being replaced. Best man up sounds great but when you live it im sure it has to be hurtful...especially if its in a position where theres only one on the field...like qb or kicker. Lets stay focused and hope there is football this year...

TMH

Re: TRANSFERS

Post by TMH » Sat May 02, 2020 9:12 pm

Although I believe we are entering a "new normal" in which athletes graduate early an forgo their 4th year for grad school elsewhere and those taking a red shirt in their freshman season may not hang around for their 5th year if their school is unwilling to give them a 5 year scholarship, I disagree with your premise kids waiting their turn.

No matter the school and no matter the sport, it's all about competition to make everyone better. Football may be a slightly different animal but since I follow all sports at Lehigh, it is pretty much the rule of thumb that 3-4 freshman will come in and start right away in their sport. I'm sure there are kids who thought it might be their turn there too but they all need to prove it in practice and on the field/court.
KBees

Post by KBees » Sat May 02, 2020 9:34 pm

Datruph gets it....
TMH

Post by TMH » Sat May 02, 2020 10:50 pm

Well...that explains a lot. When it is your son, it becomes personal. I can relate to that but IMO, nothing is a given. Let's face it, when it comes to transfers, Lehigh ranks near the bottom in terms of bringing them in.
I have no idea who this QB is, nor do I know whether he has been anointed to be the starter next. I'll assume for the moment that just like everyone else, he will need to earn it. We have had transfers come in and be real difference makers and others who made little or no contribution. We've had freshmen come in and take over. We've had players move up quickly due to transfers out or injury. IMO, every player at every position needs to work during this off season to prove that he is the man. Your son will have an advantage. He knows the system, he already memorized the playbook and he has worked with the players around him. But so have others on the team. Utilize that. Players tend to look back back when they know they earned something rather than just being the next in line. With that being said, I wish your son all the luck in the world to reach his goals.

Please keep in mind though that this may all be moot. Let us all hope that a football season in September is a reality. Universities will once again need to be pre-active this fall. Students may or may not be flocking to campuses from all over the country and world, some spots hotter with regard to COVID than others. Flu season will begin again in October and with it presumably a second wave. College Presidents are earning their money now.
Stay well!!
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Sat May 02, 2020 11:53 pm

Do we have a transfer QB coming in?

I tend to agree with the potential ugliness of transfers, especially when they transfer for ATHLETIC reasons.

Nor do I like the fact that many of them will have to sit out a year.

In high school and to a lesser degree in college, I've seen too many freshmen and sophomores with potential take playing time away from juniors and seniors who are just as good, or better, but a coach plays the youngsters thinking they have more upside in the long run.

At some point, it'd be nice to have loyalty from player to coach and vice versa. I think coaches should keep the team in the loop on recruiting decisions.

Colleges, especially like Lehigh, are not the pros. They're academic institutions.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sun May 03, 2020 8:59 pm

Transfers happen even at Lehigh. Agree that best players regardless of class have earned the right to play. I never want to see us trolling the portal for players.
So we wonder what datruph has brought us now. 5/1 was the date for transfer acceptances. If that is the situation.
Grad school transfer app deadline is 7/15.
datruph

Post by datruph » Sun May 03, 2020 9:36 pm

mid american
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sun May 03, 2020 9:41 pm

Whether it's a transfer or a hot shot freshman coming in, not should be a given. Let's have the starting lineup made the "old fashioned way, they earrrrrrn it. "(with apologies to the late John Hausman). At Lehigh we can probably count on one hand the number of quality transfers that have come into Lehigh, started and made an impact, over the last 40 years.
RichH

Post by RichH » Mon May 04, 2020 6:22 pm

Pretty sure that a transfer QB coming to LU after a couple of years with a MAC team is looking for football but more importantly academics in choosing us.
Key I believe is how this kid acts with his teammates once he is here.
Before we can even really talk football, the question of a next season has to be addressed and solutions worked out. Given current situation and the predictions for the fall cant say I am very optimistic.
TMH

Post by TMH » Mon May 04, 2020 9:10 pm

Who knew that there were so many MAC QBs transferring in 1 year (either 5 or 6..lost count) with only one landing so far at Duquesne. Several of them were rated ***. I obviously have too much time on my hands.