2020 lineup

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
van

2020 lineup

Post by van » Sat May 09, 2020 6:35 pm

who knows if we will actually have a season but since the roundball and wrestlers both have threads to discuss the lineups and since we are bored sitting at home I thought I might start a lineup thread for the fall season (if there is one) my thoughts by position

DB - J Floyd and D Buckram both have a lot of experience and Bush and Leach both saw good minutes last year, not sure what we have beside those 4, Rakowsky came in with a lot of promise and are there any FR ready to contribute right away?

DL - what was once a big concern has gotten better with more depth if not size, Laurencelle, Rybka, Colton, Dooling in the interior all have a lot of experience and Slater and Sibblis were stout last year as well as Michaels and if healthy Kircher would give us 4 DEs to rotate, should not have to rely on FR unless injury bug bites

LB - Haffner and Norris should lock down 2 spots, if we use a third LB vs a rover not sure who that might be

OL - depending on who is healthy we have a lot of bodies with experience, Fournier, Rosen, Passarelli, Gurth, Stewart, Fest, Evans, Riviera all have a lot of snaps and hopefully we don't need a FR to step in here

TE - Snyder took most snaps last year and was productive, O'Conner and Smith are the other TEs if we go with 2 TE formations, only recall one TE recruit

RB - Z Hill and R Allen look like the front runners, Lukas got some carries last year and Chadbourn was highly rated out of HS, seems like a position with good depth and skill

WR - Jorge and Dambach are seasoned and skilled, Burbage looked great until he got hurt last year, Mickens, Sutton and Jordan should be in the mix, we have a history of FR getting a lot of snaps at WR also

QB - Shoup and Beesmer both got starts last year, Summerville the other QB on the roster but I don't know much about him or the FR recruits, and then there is the rumor of a transfer, so a lot of mystery over the starting QB

K/P - VanDusen handled kick offs last year, I think we had a couple of recruits here, seems wide open with Henning graduated

Rich H follows the recruiting much better than me, and he can provide better insight to FR that might start or contribute right away

really interested in what others have to say about these ideas, jump in and discuss

RichH

Re: 2020 lineup

Post by RichH » Sat May 09, 2020 7:00 pm

Great idea. Cooking now( my turn :shock: ). Will chime in with my 2 cents in a bit.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sat May 09, 2020 8:15 pm

Cooking successful almost :(. Cornbread kinda crisp. :lol:

Not much to add to van's roster. I might look to see Tre Neal at S and perhaps Mitch Lawhead
Stephon Bland and Pilson somewher in LB rotation.
Kalmbach was steady at CB.
On O Kempsey may move up onto 2 deep.

Frosh who may contribute.

On O the WRs to look for Eric Wilson, Connor Kennedy and Romy Minor.
OL seems pretty full but Padezanin is a top tier talent. Hard to keep him out of the 2 deep.
DeVari Robinson another top tier recruit. RB or Flanker.
Chris Williams may move into TE rotation which is very limited.
On D Trevor Harris and Chris Jablonski could move up quickly. I note Navy had Harris at LB.
At LB. Mike DeNucci and Tim Bell will provide depth.Injuries may move them up.DeNucci at ILB could get into 2 deep if Pilson moves outside.
We broughtvin 4 DBs. Wimberly CB and Duncan S are topbtier talent. Lucien comes in after a PG year for an easier transition.
Lassiter an athlete. A burner. He could be a difference maker as a KR.
We brought in a bunch of Ks. Hopefully one can punt.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sat May 16, 2020 5:01 pm

My recall was that we had a pretty good class recruited last year in terms of DBs with athleticism. I would hope we will have good depth, there, this year.

The big Q's are at QB and K/P. Kids at this age can grow, both physically and mentally, a lot in one year. It was reported that Summerville had the best arm of the group last year, and had good mobility, but coaches obviously felt he wasn't ready, yet. Looking forward to some good competition with the kid from NJ coming in and who knows who else. With some depth and skill at WR, that can give a young QB confidence that his passes will get caught as long as he gets the ball in the neighborhood.

K/P is always critical for me, as it really helps set up your defense, which made great strides last year. Supposedly we have some nice recruits coming in at this position. Good competition makes 'em all better.
LU808

Post by LU808 » Sat May 16, 2020 8:31 pm

I believe we have been through the low point re Lehigh FB recruiting.
Numbers are up and quality appears on the upswing.
RichH

Post by RichH » Mon May 18, 2020 10:50 am

Numbers, on paper, are great. We are a couple over the PL max of 90.
As of now, there are 61 returning. Decisions in June may impact however. If campus remains closed for the Fall there is bound to be fallout. Do players retain or lise that season of eligibility? Will some frosh want to defer entrance so as to avoid losing a year? Will their schollie be held or no?

We return

Seniors. 21 icluding Rosen
Juniors. 13
Sophs. 27

All starters return on O plus 2 injured starters.

D returns 7 starters plus 10 2nd string
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Tue May 19, 2020 10:24 am

ngineer wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 5:01 pm My recall was that we had a pretty good class recruited last year in terms of DBs with athleticism. I would hope we will have good depth, there, this year.

The big Q's are at QB and K/P. Kids at this age can grow, both physically and mentally, a lot in one year. It was reported that Summerville had the best arm of the group last year, and had good mobility, but coaches obviously felt he wasn't ready, yet. Looking forward to some good competition with the kid from NJ coming in and who knows who else. With some depth and skill at WR, that can give a young QB confidence that his passes will get caught as long as he gets the ball in the neighborhood.

K/P is always critical for me, as it really helps set up your defense, which made great strides last year. Supposedly we have some nice recruits coming in at this position. Good competition makes 'em all better.
A fair and reasonable assessment of K/P since Henning was senior.

If I am correct, Lehigh finished the season with a two-game starter at QB which got me thinking, so last night I took a look at the Lehigh - Lafayette boxscore vs the PL Rookie of Year and 2nd Team All-League QB:

Lafayette QB 16/24 124yds, 1 INT, 16 rush 49 yds (11th start of the season)

Lehigh QB 14/24 246yds, 2 INT, 7 rush 24 yds (2nd start of the season)

Yards per Attempt 5.2 vs 10.3
Yards per Completion 7.8 vs 17.6
Yards per Rush 3.1 vs 3.4

Lehigh outgained Lafayette 376-225 yards
Lehigh 18 first downs (12 via pass), Lafayette 16 (6 via pass)
Lehigh was 4/4 in Red Zone

Lafayette ranked #1 in Total Defense in PL. Lehigh ranked 5th in PL Total Defense.

Lehigh offense drove down the field and took their first lead of the game 17-14, with 3:03 left.

Lehigh threw 2 INTs vs Lafayette 1, but consider that Shoemaker threw 14 on the season as he matured. Small sample size but INT stats on season 14/360 for Lafayette QB and 2/68 for Lehigh QB.

Hill fumbled twice in the game....he an undisputed stud.

Can't say I know about "reports", but digest this actual information as you please. If Lafayette has a lock at QB, it would seem that Lehigh has a solid candidate returning.

Fun exercise during these boring days of quarantine.
RichH

Post by RichH » Tue May 19, 2020 11:36 am

LUFAN wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:24 am
ngineer wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 5:01 pm My recall was that we had a pretty good class recruited last year in terms of DBs with athleticism. I would hope we will have good depth, there, this year.

A fair and reasonable assessment of K/P since Henning was senior.

If I am correct, Lehigh finished the season with a two-game starter at QB which got me thinking, so last night I took a look at the Lehigh - Lafayette boxscore vs the PL Rookie of Year and 2nd Team All-League QB:

Lafayette QB 16/24 124yds, 1 INT, 16 rush 49 yds (11th start of the season)

Lehigh QB 14/24 246yds, 2 INT, 7 rush 24 yds (2nd start of the season)

Yards per Attempt 5.2 vs 10.3
Yards per Completion 7.8 vs 17.6
Yards per Rush 3.1 vs 3.4

Lehigh outgained Lafayette 376-225 yards
Lehigh 18 first downs (12 via pass), Lafayette 16 (6 via pass)
Lehigh was 4/4 in Red Zone

Lafayette ranked #1 in Total Defense in PL. Lehigh ranked 5th in PL Total Defense.

Lehigh offense drove down the field and took their first lead of the game 17-14, with 3:03 left.

Lehigh threw 2 INTs vs Lafayette 1, but consider that Shoemaker threw 14 on the season as he matured. Small sample size but INT stats on season 14/360 for Lafayette QB and 2/68 for Lehigh QB.

Hill fumbled twice in the game....he an undisputed stud.

Can't say I know about "reports", but digest this actual information as you please. If Lafayette has a lock at QB, it would seem that Lehigh has a solid candidate returning.

Fun exercise during these boring days of quarantine.
+1
van

Post by van » Tue May 19, 2020 1:16 pm

speaks more of the weakness of league than QB comparison, that game was lost with the 4 turnovers, no way we lose if we take care of the ball
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Tue May 19, 2020 1:55 pm

van wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:16 pm speaks more of the weakness of league than QB comparison, that game was lost with the 4 turnovers, no way we lose if we take care of the ball
You may be correct regarding PL, but those are the apples to apples comparisons...like it not those are the facts....rookie of year and all-league .

4 turnovers hurt....2 fumbles from freshman standout RB and two INTs from young QB.....BUT Lehigh had the lead with 3:03 on clock. I will play devils advocate, young kids overcame adversity.

Consider this:

4 trips into RZ and 1TD also hurt - OL or RB? Who we throwing under the bus?
KO return to 40+ with 3 min on clock also hurt - Special teams goes under the bus?
No Red Zone creativity - OC goes under the bus...

Purely suggesting that Lehigh has some pretty good, young players IMHO.