D1 football in the fall?

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
Sundayamqb

Re: D1 football in the fall?

Post by Sundayamqb » Sat May 30, 2020 8:59 pm

As for CARES Act funding, I can see both arguments: 1) Why should the federal government (all Americans) fund private institutions like Lehigh? Did Lehigh and others make tough calls to cut costs? This is just federal largesse/bureaucracy OR 2) So what if they did? This government program is all about helping people in a time of uncertainty and economic downturn and providing a safety net. One more thing: Folks 18 and over who were dependents didn't get $1,200 from feds like us earners did. The CARES Act made up for that.

As for football and other sports except wrestling. Lehigh should have no problem with social distancing of fans if done properly. Attendance is sketch except for final game. Real problem might be what do kids do some weeknights and on weekends where there's no enforcement of social distancing: parties in tiny basements in houses off campus.

LU808

Post by LU808 » Sat May 30, 2020 11:37 pm

Sundayamqb wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:59 pm As for CARES Act funding, I can see both arguments: 1) Why should the federal government (all Americans) fund private institutions like Lehigh? Did Lehigh and others make tough calls to cut costs? This is just federal largesse/bureaucracy OR 2) So what if they did? This government program is all about helping people in a time of uncertainty and economic downturn and providing a safety net. One more thing: Folks 18 and over who were dependents didn't get $1,200 from feds like us earners did. The CARES Act made up for that.

As for football and other sports except wrestling. Lehigh should have no problem with social distancing of fans if done properly. Attendance is sketch except for final game. Real problem might be what do kids do some weeknights and on weekends where there's no enforcement of social distancing: parties in tiny basements in houses off campus.
Ar some point...Lehigh has to exhibit ethical behavior...not be part of the money grab culture.

As for 18 yo not getting a 1200 check....CARES Act wasn't structured to "make up" for that. If you are a dependent on your parents tax return (payroll) you are not under financial strain. t At $60 K / year tuition....your Apple hone upgrade and data plan are secure.....mommy and daddy will see to it.
TMH

Post by TMH » Sun May 31, 2020 12:44 pm

I'd far rather be talking about the upcoming football season but until more light is shed on the scenario in two weeks, I'm just grateful for any dialog. :-)

I'm going to be a contrarian again. Lehigh is a private University and one to the largest employers in the Lehigh Valley. I'm not going to argue that CARES is a well structured program (it isn't IMO) but the purpose of CARES is to prevent this downturn in the economy from becoming a much longer lasting recession or depression. Hopefully we learned that lesson from 1929.

With that being said, the endowment is the life blood of any University, especially private ones. $1.4 billion (likely less now) sounds like a lot of money but it pales in comparison to the educational institutions we are competing against (I believe we are around #80). The bigger issue however is that Lehigh needs to rely almost entirely on tuition and individual generosity while thousands of schools are already build government funding into their "business model". That's a very uneven playing field. Personally, I don't see this as money grabbing as much as being thrown a lifeline and grabbing on to it..

So anyway, Gov Wolf recently announced that schools in PA will reopen in fall with little or no details. I wonder how this will impact Lehigh's decision and the fate of athletics in August/September at both the HS and college level.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sun May 31, 2020 2:35 pm

TMH wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:44 pm I'd far rather be talking about the upcoming football season but until more light is shed on the scenario in two weeks, I'm just grateful for any dialog. :-)

I'm going to be a contrarian again. Lehigh is a private University and one to the largest employers in the Lehigh Valley. I'm not going to argue that CARES is a well structured program (it isn't IMO) but the purpose of CARES is to prevent this downturn in the economy from becoming a much longer lasting recession or depression. Hopefully we learned that lesson from 1929.

With that being said, the endowment is the life blood of any University, especially private ones. $1.4 billion (likely less now) sounds like a lot of money but it pales in comparison to the educational institutions we are competing against (I believe we are around #80). The bigger issue however is that Lehigh needs to rely almost entirely on tuition and individual generosity while thousands of schools are already build government funding into their "business model". That's a very uneven playing field. Personally, I don't see this as money grabbing as much as being thrown a lifeline and grabbing on to it..

So anyway, Gov Wolf recently announced that schools in PA will reopen in fall with little or no details. I wonder how this will impact Lehigh's decision and the fate of athletics in August/September at both the HS and college level.
+1
I think if current progress continues, opening campus will not be an issue. Late October and November may be the unpredictable factor with the onset of flu season.
With campus open football will be played. Schedules will no doubt be altered.
van

Post by van » Sun May 31, 2020 3:19 pm

this years schedule is one of the best from a travel perspective in spite of 6 games away, away games at Nova, Easton JCC, Loretto, DC, and two in Conn/Mass, and I wonder if Ivies will actually play
RichH

Post by RichH » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:58 pm

LU announced a major budget shortfall. Furloughs announced. More details to follow. Expecting lots of department budgets will big hits. Athletics also.
LU808

Post by LU808 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:13 pm

RichH wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:58 pm LU announced a major budget shortfall. Furloughs announced. More details to follow. Expecting lots of department budgets will big hits. Athletics also.
Silver lining....reduce the sky high Professor and Administration salaries and overhead....lower the cost of tuition.
van

Post by van » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:40 pm

LU808 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:13 pm
RichH wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:58 pm LU announced a major budget shortfall. Furloughs announced. More details to follow. Expecting lots of department budgets will big hits. Athletics also.
Silver lining....reduce the sky high Professor and Administration salaries and overhead....lower the cost of tuition.
wonderful thought, I expect it has as much chance as congress approving term limits
TMH

Post by TMH » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:53 pm

Joe Sterrett in his podcast mentioned the athletics budget being impacted by less travel both in competition and recruiting. I think trips during the breaks being eliminated. There will be no new uniforms etc. I'm sure there will be more but I've heard nothing on eliminating any sports.

Indications are however that school will be opening in fall and that there will be athletics in some form. This is supposed to be my 50th straight Lehigh-Lafayette football game this year and I'm showing up game or no game and tailgate. :-)
RichH

Post by RichH » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:43 pm

From announcemet. 10% Dept cuts in addition salary cuts for Deans and Pres. et al. Furloughs for employees who cant remote work starting 7/1.
Campus will open only when County goes green under State guidelines. Yellow now. Hope green by July.