NCAA Scholarships legislation

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
RichH

NCAA Scholarships legislation

Post by RichH » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:47 am

On Wed NCAA amended its rule on partial scholarship sports to allow need aid to be combined with athletic aid which aid will not count vs the scholarship cap.
At present all aid to a recruited athlete counts vs the cap.
PL by-laws provide a similar provision counting need aid against our 60 schollie cap. PL did amend by-laws to allow need aid to "unrecruited" players outside of the 60 schollie cap.

This new rule will impact wrestling and the other olympic sports as well as baseball & softball.
As to football, I wonder whether PL will. Not sure but I think PL may have to amend by-laws to conform to the amende NCAA rule. LU would also have to adjust its accounting and financing for additional need aid. Not to forget that LU incurring substantial cost in dealing with this pandemic.
Football is still capped at 85. recruited players on athletic schollies. I have no idea of how much need would partial schollie recruits be eligible for under LU rules . i can envision that it will increase our competitiveness in recruiting better talent vs FBS schools.

van

Re: NCAA Scholarships legislation

Post by van » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:44 am

could be a big advantage for FB although tricky to navigate for staff, we had something like 57 equivalencies when we were strictly need based, if we could recruit even half of those need based ad even 50 athletic we would be in better position than 60, notwithstanding, the challenge is to get 22 high quality guys to start each game
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:37 pm

Can you post a link to the press release? I haven't been able to find it.
RichH

Post by RichH » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:34 pm

Totally out of my wheelhouse. :oops:
Partial scholarship sports on google will get it.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:23 pm

gimp over on wrestling made a point which I missed with regard to D1 Council statement. Need/merit aid that comply with aid available to other student would be exempt vs "team limits". It would therefore not be counted against either side of the 63 over 85 rule.At least as written.
PL may have to amend the roster cap also. We'll see. Rule goes into effect on 8/1.
RichH

Post by RichH » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:39 pm

June 2020 enactment provides that merit aid will not be exempt in football or basketball.
Head count sports.
So qualified need aid will not count apparently but merit aid will.
RichH

Post by RichH » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:23 am

Hopefully the NCAA will clarify the proposal's language before implementation on 8/1.
It has been pointed out to me that the current language can also be interpreted as not exempting both need and merit aid from football and basketball.