Demand Accountability. Letters to President Heible

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
LUFAN

Re: Demand Accountability. Letters to President Heible

Post by LUFAN » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:17 pm

lfnadmin wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:04 pm
IPSY1975 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:26 am The Ivies have something called Pride..they also understand the positive PR effects of a winning program at attracting student athletes and promoting the School in general. Not accepting Defeat over and over teaches persistence to find a better way ...so you can win...that's an important life message imho! OTOH accepting mediocrity and doing things the wrong way send a terrible message to students, alumni and athletes. In short , you may not win but show up to compete...and not accept failure ! You can also test yourself against tougher opponents like Fordham did with Nebraska..difficult assignments make you stronger
For several decades the Ivy League did one of the worst jobs in Division I sports promoting their football teams. They rarely lobbied for Top 25 spots (that I ended up lobbying for them, because I recognized how good they actually are), great, NFL-caliber talent sometimes was overlooked by media, and during the few times FCS was able to promote their product, the Ivies were absent. Don't get me wrong, the Ivies do a lot of things extremely well, including in terms of promotion of hoops, women's sports, etc., but FCS football was not one of those things.

Any positive PR effects of a winning football program came pretty much this year and because their built-in, legal advantages have (unsurprisingly, to me) resulted in three 5-0 teams. Dartmouth, Harvard, and Princeton are all 5-0, Columbia is 4-1, and Yale wasn't all that far away from being 4-1 with wins over Holy Cross and FBS UConn.
Admin making more excuses. If you cannot field a quality team with 60 full scholarships at a world class university, you need to find another profession. End of story. Nobody wants to hear about Ivy rosters or the "disadvantage". HC beat UCONN and Yale, Fordham battled FBS teams, Lehigh has lost 13 straight and cannot score a damn TD. Please stop!!! Please. You are making the same type of excuses that the staff makes. Find a way to win. Its that simple.

Hawktalker

Post by Hawktalker » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:53 pm

A college football program, at any level, is an ocean liner. Turning it around will take time. The program's downside precedes this coaching staff.
The pandemic is a real contributor. If your program was on the downside in March 2019, you kept going down. If you were going up, you kept going up.
New "management" may change the trajectory but the return to the glory days are several years away at best.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:17 pm

Hawktalker wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:53 pm A college football program, at any level, is an ocean liner. Turning it around will take time. The program's downside precedes this coaching staff.
The pandemic is a real contributor. If your program was on the downside in March 2019, you kept going down. If you were going up, you kept going up.
New "management" may change the trajectory but the return to the glory days are several years away at best.
Sounds like Colgate, a league peer and true rival....

Stunk in 2019, went winless during the spring then proceeded to fire their coach due to institutional infractions. Yet they beat Lehigh by 32 with a head coach making his "4th professional" start....

Lehigh being THIS bad goes well beyond "bad luck", "poor timing".....
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:44 am

Hawktalker wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:53 pm A college football program, at any level, is an ocean liner. Turning it around will take time. The program's downside precedes this coaching staff.
So Covid only contributed negatively to programs that were regressing in Spring 2019, but helped programs that were improving? I’d love to hear the logic behind that statement.

Changing the trajectory of a team that scores 1.5 points per game and barely squeaks out 100 yards of total offense….well that sounds like a pretty good idea. I’d imagine most of you on this forum are asking for just that, a change in trajectory.
lfnadmin

Post by lfnadmin » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:42 pm

LUFAN wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:17 pm Admin making more excuses. If you cannot field a quality team with 60 full scholarships at a world class university, you need to find another profession. End of story. Nobody wants to hear about Ivy rosters or the "disadvantage". HC beat UCONN and Yale, Fordham battled FBS teams, Lehigh has lost 13 straight and cannot score a damn TD. Please stop!!! Please. You are making the same type of excuses that the staff makes. Find a way to win. Its that simple.
Trying to read in the original post how I'm making excuses? It was more of a reflection on how the Ivies supposedly have more "pride" than PL schools and showcasing their programs, and "understanding the positive PR effects of a winning football program". Just pointing out that the Ivies have hardly been the paragon of promotion of their football programs. Compare that to the Big Sky, who, for all their faults, promote their programs to the hilt. Ever wonder why 4-5 Big Sky teams are always in the Top 25?

The top Ivy League teams are very good this year, that is certain, of which Lehigh played one (Princeton). The Ivy League should be releasing a story a day about Harvard/Princeton this weekend, a battle of 5-0 teams and oh-by-the-way a huge Rivalry. But they aren't. I'll never know why.
Hawktalker

Post by Hawktalker » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:09 pm

[/quote]

So Covid only contributed negatively to programs that were regressing in Spring 2019, but helped programs that were improving? I’d love to hear the logic behind that statement.

[/quote]

The pandemic helped no program. But it hurt programs on the downside more than those on the upside. Holy Cross was the best team in 2019, last spring and still are this fall.
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:11 am

Hawktalker wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:09 pm

[/quote]

The pandemic helped no program. But it hurt programs on the downside more than those on the upside. Holy Cross was the best team in 2019, last spring and still are this fall.
[/quote]

To clarify, bad keep getting worse and good keep getting better (but at an accelerated rate)….and that was a byproduct of the pandemic? That has nothing to do with Bob Chesney being a great coach who has enjoyed success at all of his stops?

Colgate was 0-2 in spring. Had a change at head coach in May and then beat Lehigh 30-3 in dominating fashion.

Pandemic effect for sure. Next excuse will be global warming. Find any reason to ignore the obvious.
HFO

Post by HFO » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:14 pm

Richb-3 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:40 pm Love how an anonymous troll tells a well identified person to get a job. An anonymous troll who has never demonstrated support of Lehigh, or its administration, or coaches, or athletes. I guess someone who calls himself a bird would love vulture capitalism.
I have news for you. Life is survival since the first man killed the 2nd man for a limited supply of berries. It is and will always be. News for you, capitalism has elevated by every metric the human experience, whether life expectancy, nutrition, education, innovation, pricing. You can find my name on one of the benches in front of Alumni Memorial Building. Filled with us capitalists.
LU808

Post by LU808 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:26 pm

HFO wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:14 pm
Richb-3 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:40 pm Love how an anonymous troll tells a well identified person to get a job. An anonymous troll who has never demonstrated support of Lehigh, or its administration, or coaches, or athletes. I guess someone who calls himself a bird would love vulture capitalism.
I have news for you. Life is survival since the first man killed the 2nd man for a limited supply of berries. It is and will always be. News for you, capitalism has elevated by every metric the human experience, whether life expectancy, nutrition, education, innovation, pricing. You can find my name on one of the benches in front of Alumni Memorial Building. Filled with us capitalists.
+1 for capitalism
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:42 pm

HFO wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:14 pm
Mountain Hawk is the Anonymous troll who does not even appear to be a Lehigh fan.

Now to say that Vulture Capitalism is good, by implying that there is nothing wrong with murder if you can get away with it....