Demand Accountability. Letters to President Heible

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
Mountain Hawk

Re: Demand Accountability. Letters to President Heible

Post by Mountain Hawk » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:03 pm

Last post points out major problem with academia in general: it’s like government work in that nobody is held to a high standard. Tenure system makes it even worse. Not enough high level real world success stories teachings. Too many academic lifers.
I recall the line from Ghostbusters when threatened with losing their academic gig, “it’s tough out in the real world, they demand results.”

mookie

Post by mookie » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:10 pm

Bet you're one of those bores with all the lean buzzwords.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:54 pm

Mountain Hawk wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:03 pm Last post points out major problem with academia in general: it’s like government work in that nobody is held to a high standard. Tenure system makes it even worse. Not enough high level real world success stories teachings. Too many academic lifers.
I recall the line from Ghostbusters when threatened with losing their academic gig, “it’s tough out in the real world, they demand results.”
Golden Parachutes Paying $millions to incompetent CEOs who cost Corporations $Billions are far worse than fuzzy Tenure, But Right Wing Whackos scream about the latter while ignoring the former.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:17 pm

Richb-3 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:54 pm [quote="Mountain Hawk" post_id=39115 time=<a href="tel:1634760197">1634760197</a> user_id=416]
Last post points out major problem with academia in general: it’s like government work in that nobody is held to a high standard. Tenure system makes it even worse. Not enough high level real world success stories teachings. Too many academic lifers.
Golden Parachutes Paying $millions to incompetent CEOs who cost Corporations $Billions are far worse than fuzzy Tenure, But Right Wing Whackos scream about the latter while ignoring the former.
[/quote]

Liberal arts academia polluting the minds of a generation prob worse than the odd CEO who got overpaid. Go get a real job.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:40 pm

Love how an anonymous troll tells a well identified person to get a job. An anonymous troll who has never demonstrated support of Lehigh, or its administration, or coaches, or athletes. I guess someone who calls himself a bird would love vulture capitalism.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:00 am

A couple of points:

1) Why would a fifth year go elsewhere: To get a graduate degree at a place he would rather go to for a variety of reasons -- $, P/T, program (academic or athletic), etc. I know many kids who have gone from DI to DII because they prefer the institution, academic program and/or can get more $.

2) As much as we'd all like to see it, WINNING is not an integral part of the Athletics Department mission statement, and hasn't been for a while:

"Our mission in the Lehigh Athletics Department is to advance learning, foster personal growth and provide leadership preparation through comprehensive athletics programming."

https://lehighsports.com/sports/2013/6/4/Mission.aspx

So if this is legit, Joe (and maybe Tom and staff, depending on their goals) are meeting these criteria, they might be around until they decide to leave. Why? This is an academic institution not an athletics factory or minor league sports.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:40 am

Richb-3 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:40 pm Love how an anonymous troll tells a well identified person to get a job. An anonymous troll who has never demonstrated support of Lehigh, or its administration, or coaches, or athletes. I guess someone who calls himself a bird would love vulture capitalism.
MH has supported the coaches and the athletes for decades both collectively and individually. MH LU tradition strrtcjes back 75 yrs. The administration, which drives the bus on the disintegration of the institution of higher academics, can go straight to hell. No more checks for them until drastic change occurs but funny how my phone keeps ringing.
“Vulture capitalism”. They taught you wrong son and now you’re stuck where you are. Don’t take your anger out on the rest of us.
IPSY1975

Post by IPSY1975 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:26 am

Sundayamqb wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:00 am A couple of points:

1) Why would a fifth year go elsewhere: To get a graduate degree at a place he would rather go to for a variety of reasons -- $, P/T, program (academic or athletic), etc. I know many kids who have gone from DI to DII because they prefer the institution, academic program and/or can get more $.

2) As much as we'd all like to see it, WINNING is not an integral part of the Athletics Department mission statement, and hasn't been for a while:

"Our mission in the Lehigh Athletics Department is to advance learning, foster personal growth and provide leadership preparation through comprehensive athletics programming."

So if this is legit, Joe (and maybe Tom and staff, depending on their goals) are meeting these criteria, they might be around until they decide to leave. Why? This is an academic institution not an athletics factory or minor league sports.
Well of course it's not an Athletics Factory , a Clemson or an Alabama lmao..Do we uphold the same Mission Staement in Athletics as Yale and Princeton ?? absolutely..

So at the very least we can be as competitive as the Ivy Eight right? Columbia aside ..all those schools would never put up with a losing streak in Football like our historic 13 game streak. Especially since their football programs go back a long way like Lehigh-Lafayette. Rutgers-Princeton was the first Game of American football

So the Ivies have something called Pride..they also understand the positive PR effects of a winning program at attracting student athletes and promoting the School in general. Not accepting Defeat over and over teaches persistence to find a better way ...so you can win...that's an important life message imho! OTOH accepting mediocrity and doing things the wrong way send a terrible message to students, alumni and athletes. In short , you may not win but show up to compete...and not accept failure ! You can also test yourself against tougher opponents like Fordham did with Nebraska..difficult assignments make you stronger

The AD has be forward thinking ...not accepting Status Quo>>>that's the REAL message athletics should send
lu90

Post by lu90 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:50 am

Sundayamqb wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:00 am A couple of points:

Here is LSU's Athletic Mission Statement:

The Louisiana State University Department of Athletics seeks to inspire academic and athletic excellence in student-athletes by challenging them to achieve the highest level of intellectual and personal development, in accordance with the mission of the university.

Mission statements are useless drivel. I wouldn't expect it to say "we are solely focused on kicking the crap out of SEC competitors in all sports and oh by the way, do your homework." Saying Gilmore and staff may stick around based on our mission statement is a bit of a stretch.
lfnadmin

Post by lfnadmin » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:04 pm

IPSY1975 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:26 am The Ivies have something called Pride..they also understand the positive PR effects of a winning program at attracting student athletes and promoting the School in general. Not accepting Defeat over and over teaches persistence to find a better way ...so you can win...that's an important life message imho! OTOH accepting mediocrity and doing things the wrong way send a terrible message to students, alumni and athletes. In short , you may not win but show up to compete...and not accept failure ! You can also test yourself against tougher opponents like Fordham did with Nebraska..difficult assignments make you stronger
For several decades the Ivy League did one of the worst jobs in Division I sports promoting their football teams. They rarely lobbied for Top 25 spots (that I ended up lobbying for them, because I recognized how good they actually are), great, NFL-caliber talent sometimes was overlooked by media, and during the few times FCS was able to promote their product, the Ivies were absent. Don't get me wrong, the Ivies do a lot of things extremely well, including in terms of promotion of hoops, women's sports, etc., but FCS football was not one of those things.

Any positive PR effects of a winning football program came pretty much this year and because their built-in, legal advantages have (unsurprisingly, to me) resulted in three 5-0 teams. Dartmouth, Harvard, and Princeton are all 5-0, Columbia is 4-1, and Yale wasn't all that far away from being 4-1 with wins over Holy Cross and FBS UConn.