Lafayette

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
kbees92

Re: Lafayette

Post by kbees92 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:28 pm

LU808 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:12 pm
kbees92 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:39 pm
kbees92 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:33 am

Heresay....name names.

With all due respect, this is littered with inaccuracies regarding the timeline and the evaluation process, or lack thereof, that took place. There were "people" in the know, who were quite confident that Dante was one of the top 2 QBs in the room before fall camp began. In the least, those top 2 were a better fit for the system.
Not sure those folks would like to have their names dragged around this forum. Call it what you want, it is factual.

ngineer

Post by ngineer » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:40 pm

TMH wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:28 pm
Lehigh74 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:23 pm The thing I still can’t comprehend is why it took the coaching staff all of training camp plus 6 games to figure out that Perri is a better quarterback than Wilkerson. It proves again how important the quarterback is to the success of any team. The touchdown pass against Lafayette was a perfect example. Perri evaded a strong rush, rolled to his left and found Dipeitro for the score. In all likelihood, Wilkerson, who is not nearly as mobile as Perri, would have been sacked and the play never happens.
Taking a look at the data first.

Dante Perri played in Game 1 Villanova He went 3 of 6 for 17 yds and an interception.
Princeton he was 12 of 17 for 62 yards
Colgate 13 for 19 for 46 yards and another interception
Penn 7 for 27 for 118 yds and another interception.

So prior to the bye week, Perri was 35 for 69 (51%) for 243 yds or 3.5 yds/completion with 0 TDS and 3 interceptions and neg 44 rushing yds.

For me, it was a matter of how come it took him so long but rather how did he come upon him so quickly. Put yourself in TGs position. You begin the year with only one QB that has had PT on the college level in 3 years. That guy leaves early in the season after sitting out the spring.You need to both find and develop your QB of the future in 4 weeks. You lost spring, summer and almost all of fall to evaluate your talent in camp. In January you can begin the process but you barely have enough OL to hold practice. You use DL to fill in the gaps. Spring was a mess. Lehigh had the option to abandon spring altogether like Georgetown. You turn it down.

So your options at camp are an FBS 3 star transfer, a junior, sophomore, and freshman scholarship player with little to no experience, and a PWO who was an HM for the Delco League. In what order do you evaluate them? Note: Perri was not that impressive in his 1st 4 games.

With all due respect, this is littered with inaccuracies regarding the timeline and the evaluation process, or lack thereof, that took place. There were "people" in the know, who were quite confident that Dante was one of the top 2 QBs in the room before fall camp began. In the least, those two were a better fit for the system.
No, Coach addressed this issue in response to questions at the football luncheon the Wednesday before the Georgetown game. First, they were hamstrung in not being able to do a lot of assessment in person due to the COVID restrictions on their practices. Second, after the Penn game, changes/adjustments were made to the offense to better compliment the personnel. I, too, get frustrated at some of the play calling when we change to something else when what we've done for two plays works well. I've believe if you opponent can't stopping what you're doing, why change? Third, with the change in QB's it also takes some time for the WRs and QB to get into a rhythm/timing scenario. That was evident in the early games with the merry-go-round of QBs. Once Perri became "the guy" and he got to spend more time with the receivers, things began to click.

This win should be a great springboard to next season. The schedule is just as difficult with the OOC games, so my expectation is for the team to be 'in the hunt' for the PL title and be in the OOC games in the fourth quarter with the chance to steal a win or two. I was down on the field after the game and you could tell the guys are really tight. Coming through the season they did, they bonded and now want to take the next steps upward. If we can get some of our seriously injured players back by September, that will be a big plus.
phillychuck

Post by phillychuck » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:45 pm

Lafayette badly messed up their offensive game plan for this one--they should have been running the ball from the start, before they were behind. They really didn't stick with what was working, and with the QB out running was even more imperative. Sad to say it, but Lafayette lost this one as much as Lehigh won it.

Just my opinion here, but although I think Tom Gilmore is probably a very nice person, he has a long track record of not being a very good football coach. There are lots of nice folks who can't coach, and just like those folks are not coaching Lehigh, I'd prefer Coach Gilmore have a different job next year. Assistant AD maybe? We need to build on the successes of some of the young players next season, and I'm pretty sure Gilmore is not the one to do that. But my opinion obviously is irrelevant.
mookie

Post by mookie » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:45 am

They fired Garrett.
RichH

Post by RichH » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:32 pm

And Giants fired the other Garrett. Karma I guess
kbees92

Post by kbees92 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:59 pm

ngineer wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:40 pm
TMH wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:28 pm

Taking a look at the data first.

Dante Perri played in Game 1 Villanova He went 3 of 6 for 17 yds and an interception.
Princeton he was 12 of 17 for 62 yards
Colgate 13 for 19 for 46 yards and another interception
Penn 7 for 27 for 118 yds and another interception.

So prior to the bye week, Perri was 35 for 69 (51%) for 243 yds or 3.5 yds/completion with 0 TDS and 3 interceptions and neg 44 rushing yds.

For me, it was a matter of how come it took him so long but rather how did he come upon him so quickly. Put yourself in TGs position. You begin the year with only one QB that has had PT on the college level in 3 years. That guy leaves early in the season after sitting out the spring.You need to both find and develop your QB of the future in 4 weeks. You lost spring, summer and almost all of fall to evaluate your talent in camp. In January you can begin the process but you barely have enough OL to hold practice. You use DL to fill in the gaps. Spring was a mess. Lehigh had the option to abandon spring altogether like Georgetown. You turn it down.

So your options at camp are an FBS 3 star transfer, a junior, sophomore, and freshman scholarship player with little to no experience, and a PWO who was an HM for the Delco League. In what order do you evaluate them? Note: Perri was not that impressive in his 1st 4 games.

With all due respect, this is littered with inaccuracies regarding the timeline and the evaluation process, or lack thereof, that took place. There were "people" in the know, who were quite confident that Dante was one of the top 2 QBs in the room before fall camp began. In the least, those two were a better fit for the system.
No, Coach addressed this issue in response to questions at the football luncheon the Wednesday before the Georgetown game. First, they were hamstrung in not being able to do a lot of assessment in person due to the COVID restrictions on their practices. Second, after the Penn game, changes/adjustments were made to the offense to better compliment the personnel. I, too, get frustrated at some of the play calling when we change to something else when what we've done for two plays works well. I've believe if you opponent can't stopping what you're doing, why change? Third, with the change in QB's it also takes some time for the WRs and QB to get into a rhythm/timing scenario. That was evident in the early games with the merry-go-round of QBs. Once Perri became "the guy" and he got to spend more time with the receivers, things began to click.

This win should be a great springboard to next season. The schedule is just as difficult with the OOC games, so my expectation is for the team to be 'in the hunt' for the PL title and be in the OOC games in the fourth quarter with the chance to steal a win or two. I was down on the field after the game and you could tell the guys are really tight. Coming through the season they did, they bonded and now want to take the next steps upward. If we can get some of our seriously injured players back by September, that will be a big plus.
Duly noted. Based upon the birds-eye view I had, I will simply disagree with that narrative. I think many understand the obvious mistake that was made.

I truly applaud your support of the program. I think we alumni all want success for the players and the coaches who truly exemplify Lehigh Football values and traditions.
LU808

Post by LU808 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:34 pm

RichH wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:32 pm And Giants fired the other Garrett. Karma I guess

GONNA MAKE FOR A TOUGH THANKSGIVING DAY IN THE GARRETT HOUSEHOLDS.
mookie

Post by mookie » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:23 am

It's time for that family to get real jobs.
TMH

Post by TMH » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:05 am

It doesn't seem that long ago since John Garrett was considered an incredible catch by Lafayette with all the credentials posters thought we should be looking for in a HC. Sometimes it works out. Other times it doesn't.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving everybody!!
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:10 pm

Laughyette was enamored by the name. I questioned his selection from the beginning. One look at his resume showed a nomad with no kind of structure or goal. At PL schools, there has to be a serious inquiry as to whether the candidate is truly aware of the restrictions under which they will be operating as well as the philosophy of athletics being a part of the academic experience.