Gilmore Contract

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
StablerBum

Gilmore Contract

Post by StablerBum » Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:57 am

On other threads, I've seen a few posters ask questions about or make reference to Gilmore's contract. I have no inside info, but I think it's possible he is just on a year-to-year contract.

This Lehigh Valley Live (Express-Times) article from 2013, has the following two paragraphs in reference to Brett Reed at the time:
Reed, like other coaches at Lehigh, has his contract reviewed and renewed on a yearly basis. As per standard procedure, Sterrett said he plans to meet with Reed within the next few weeks to evaluate the 2012-13 season and discuss goals and strategies for next season.

After that, the process continues with the contract renewal being drawn up and submitted near the end of the academic calendar year in May.
https://www.lehighvalleylive.com/lehigh ... tb_95.html

Things may be different now, but Gilmore could very well just be on an annual contract. This is interesting for two reasons:
1) It means the only thing stopping Lehigh from making this Gilmore's last season is Sterrett's ego and inability to admit he made a horrible hire.
2) Maybe part of the reason Lehigh ended up with Gilmore in the first place is that most quality FCS coaches are looking for a multi-year deal. Chesney signed a 5 year extension at Holy Cross in February, so even PL peers are offering multi-year deals.

If Lehigh wants to compete, it means investing and paying market rate for their next head coach, not shopping the bargain bin.

ngineer

Re: Gilmore Contract

Post by ngineer » Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:30 pm

StablerBum wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:57 am On other threads, I've seen a few posters ask questions about or make reference to Gilmore's contract. I have no inside info, but I think it's possible he is just on a year-to-year contract.

This Lehigh Valley Live (Express-Times) article from 2013, has the following two paragraphs in reference to Brett Reed at the time:
Reed, like other coaches at Lehigh, has his contract reviewed and renewed on a yearly basis. As per standard procedure, Sterrett said he plans to meet with Reed within the next few weeks to evaluate the 2012-13 season and discuss goals and strategies for next season.

After that, the process continues with the contract renewal being drawn up and submitted near the end of the academic calendar year in May.

Things may be different now, but Gilmore could very well just be on an annual contract. This is interesting for two reasons:
1) It means the only thing stopping Lehigh from making this Gilmore's last season is Sterrett's ego and inability to admit he made a horrible hire.
2) Maybe part of the reason Lehigh ended up with Gilmore in the first place is that most quality FCS coaches are looking for a multi-year deal. Chesney signed a 5 year extension at Holy Cross in February, so even PL peers are offering multi-year deals.

If Lehigh wants to compete, it means investing and paying market rate for their next head coach, not shopping the bargain bin.
Yes, year to year contracts are the norm for established coaches. However, when a new coach comes in and its asked to take over a program that needs 'retooling', that coach is usually given more time to get their people in place and recruit to their needs for a few years. Considering the turmoil in the football program due to Coen's illness, as well as the covid pandemic that occurred shortly after Gilmore was hired, I would suspect he was given at least three years, if not five, to get 'his' program where we wanted it. After the initial hiring contract, then the agreement goes from year to year. Special exceptions can always be made if the money and the will is there. Lehigh gave Santoro a five year extension and raise a few years ago when Pitt tried to hire him away.
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:43 pm

What year was Santoro given 5 year contract?
DF2002

Post by DF2002 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:55 pm

ngineer wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:30 pm
StablerBum wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:57 am On other threads, I've seen a few posters ask questions about or make reference to Gilmore's contract. I have no inside info, but I think it's possible he is just on a year-to-year contract.

Yes, year to year contracts are the norm for established coaches. However, when a new coach comes in and its asked to take over a program that needs 'retooling', that coach is usually given more time to get their people in place and recruit to their needs for a few years. Considering the turmoil in the football program due to Coen's illness, as well as the covid pandemic that occurred shortly after Gilmore was hired, I would suspect he was given at least three years, if not five, to get 'his' program where we wanted it. After the initial hiring contract, then the agreement goes from year to year. Special exceptions can always be made if the money and the will is there. Lehigh gave Santoro a five year extension and raise a few years ago when Pitt tried to hire him away.

For Sterrett’s sake, I actually hope Gilmore is not on a year to year contract.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:02 pm

LUEngineer wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:43 pm What year was Santoro given 5 year contract?
I believe it was in 2017 or 18.
Bison_137

Post by Bison_137 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:01 pm

ngineer wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:30 pm

I don't know what Lehigh's normal policy is - and maybe you are talking only about Lehigh - but it is very normal for established coaches to get multi-year contract extensions at most schools.. Much more common than a year-to-year contract.

Just a few Patriot League examples: At Bucknell, Pat Flannery got several multi-year extensions. Dave Paulsen got a long multi-year extension. Nathan Davis unfortunately got a multi-year extension. Matt Langel got a contract extension for another eight years from Colgate. Fran O'Hanlon, well into his LC career, got a new ten year contract. That was at least his fourth multi-year extension. Joe Jones at Boston U has received at least two multi-year extensions, the last one being for another five years. Zach Spiker at Army got a long-term second contract. Ralph Willard at HC got several multi-year contract extensions. Etc. The same is true for many coaches in virtually every league.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:40 pm

Yes, I was referring to what I believe the norm is at Lehigh. I know Fred Dunlap began with a five year contract, and per his son’s book, Leckonby didn’t want to renew after 1969 season, but President Lewis overruled and gave Fred another year, which resulted in some big wins and showed great improvement (along with a stellar freshman class of 1974) that started the program’s renaissance.