What's next ???

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
Lehigh74

Re: What's next ???

Post by Lehigh74 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:33 pm

Hawkineer wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:04 pm
Lehigh74 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:58 pm Who else in the athletics department has the knowledge to make the decision? Hopefully, there will be some type of committee.
+1 Committee should contain several football alums. Those that haven’t played for Gilmore actually know what traits a successful coach has.

Please go outside the University for the next coach. I hope that they strongly consider a successful DII or DIII head coach.
Totally agree. What I would like to see is someone who has head coaching experience and is a proven winner.

ngineer

Post by ngineer » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:55 pm

Lehigh74 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:33 pm
Lehigh74 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:58 pm Who else in the athletics department has the knowledge to make the decision? Hopefully, there will be some type of committee.
+1 Committee should contain several football alums. Those that haven’t played for Gilmore actually know what traits a successful coach has.

Please go outside the University for the next coach. I hope that they strongly consider a successful DII or DIII head coach.
Totally agree. What I would like to see is someone who has head coaching experience and is a proven winner.
Those criteria seem to describe Clements of Kutztown. Definitely has had a lot of HC experience and has won consistently. I think he was HC when we got Folmar to leave Kutztown and become our OC, unfortunately for only a short time. Doubtful we have the starting salary necessary to lure an existing HC at another FCS school to make a move. Hopefully, there will be significant regional interest to make the selection a hard decision. With recruitment, and the dastardly 'portal', we need to move quickly.
A final thought. We also need someone who is a good communicator, who can connect with today's kids. Gilmore was a neanderthal who relished screaming and yelling and humiliating people when they messed up, from what I heard from a couple players. I never saw them 'gravitate' toward Gilmore, the way they did with Andy. Communicating well with the parents and alums is good, too, but you have to have the kids with you and not tuning you out.
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:48 pm

Gilmore was always A foul mouthed screaming madman from the time he was Defensive Coordinator here. We moved our seats from under the press box to get away from his antics as he worked games from there & it was embarrassing.

I doubt that he changed when he became Head coach at Holy Cross considering being fired midseason. I think he was given more than ample opportunity to demonstrate his ability to turn things around. His OC didn’t help the situation.

Hope Sterrett doesn’t cut a deal with Bucknell to salvage their issue with Chechini!!! He has demonstrated that he reached his level of competency as an OC.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:33 pm

Boy, Bucknell quickly scrubbed its website of info on its OC, Jason Miran -- who was WR coach at Lehigh (and had Spadola), then went to Valpo with Cecc.

Maybe we bring him back as a WR coach ...
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:38 pm

LUFAN wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:17 am
Sundayamqb wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:09 pm You're in your fourth year as HC.

Your team goes 2-9 (the worst record almost any of us can remember) and loses to its archrival.

Is there any reason you wait until Monday to resign?

Do you resign?

More important question: How does Lehigh handle recruiting going forward if there are new coaches? Is this year a lost recruiting year if Gilmore & Co. are dismissed/resign?
Resign? You don't know this egomaniacal neanderthal. No chance.
I DO NOT know Gilmore (have a friend whose son played for him at HC -- and liked him).

Turns out he did the right thing.

"Tom's decision to step down reflects a true 'team first' mindset and a genuine love for Lehigh and Lehigh football," said Lehigh Dean of Athletics Joe Sterrett. "Although he has a Penn degree, he is a Lehigh guy and he truly wants what is best for our football program and he continues to believe in the future of Lehigh football."
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:40 pm

+1 Committee should contain several football alums.
+1 Committee of football alums of various ages, especially those who have skin in the game, would be great.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:15 pm

While HC experience is a definite plus, someone who has been close to the top job, and who has experience with Lehigh is Drew Folmar, who came to us from Kutztown, when Clements then took over. Folmar has done a nice job at Elon under Tony Trisciani. Question there is whether Trisciani is long for the Elon job. He has been making a name for himself with successful seasons in a tough league. Folmar may see himself getting that job, if/when Trisciani leaves. But how long does one wait?
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:39 am

Sundayamqb wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:38 pm
LUFAN wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:17 am
Sundayamqb wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:09 pm You're in your fourth year as HC.

Your team goes 2-9 (the worst record almost any of us can remember) and loses to its archrival.

Is there any reason you wait until Monday to resign?

Do you resign?

More important question: How does Lehigh handle recruiting going forward if there are new coaches? Is this year a lost recruiting year if Gilmore & Co. are dismissed/resign?
Resign? You don't know this egomaniacal neanderthal. No chance.
I DO NOT know Gilmore (have a friend whose son played for him at HC -- and liked him).

Turns out he did the right thing.

"Tom's decision to step down reflects a true 'team first' mindset and a genuine love for Lehigh and Lehigh football," said Lehigh Dean of Athletics Joe Sterrett. "Although he has a Penn degree, he is a Lehigh guy and he truly wants what is best for our football program and he continues to believe in the future of Lehigh football."
If you believe he "resigned" there is a beautiful bridge in NY that I would like to sell you!

Oh my....he was clearly given the opportunity to "resign", or he was being terminated. Sterrett simply allowed him to exit with a bit more dignity. (ie. avoid being "fired" twice in the PL within 5 years)

Regardless, the toxicity is gone. Time for a reset.
Hawkineer

Post by Hawkineer » Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:36 am

“ Tom Gilmore made the decision to step down as head coach and is committed to making things a smooth transition. He clearly is putting the program first and deserves respect for doing so.”
Seriously? :? :? :?
StablerBum

Post by StablerBum » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:30 am

The important thing is the guy is gone. Who cares if he, Sterrett, or others want it to sound like a resignation?

Turn the page and focus on the future.