What's next ???

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
RichH

What's next ???

Post by RichH » Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:00 am

An apt end to an abysmal season. Stunned that we could dominate a game yet lose D gave up 1 TD.Offense moved the ball but could not score more than 9 pts. Ugly.
New HC. LU must post an ad for the opening. Then interviews. I We'll see when,or if ads are posted.
Clements remains my 1st choice for HC. A proven consistent winner.

Kramer

Re: What's next ???

Post by Kramer » Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:40 pm

Rich,

I've also wondered what's next. Assuming we'll be hiring a new head coach (as well as a whole new staff), do we have the ability to attract an excellent coach? One who can rebuild this program, who can assemble a quality staff, can recruit talented athletes (who are also of high character), can create the right culture, and graduate men who will be successful after they finish school? And, just as importantly, one who can wins games, both PL games, and non-league games? I hope so. The last few years have been really hard to watch.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:03 pm

Agree. These years were like being forced to watch a reruns of a terrible reality show over and over.
LU can attract very good young coaching talent . Sterrett has done it. He really needs to come through this time.
Watcher

Post by Watcher » Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:11 pm

Well, we’re going to need a motivated and aggressive Athletic Director. I no longer believe Joe Sterrett has those qualities.

Agree, the entire coaching staff needs to submit their resignations. Advance no current Assistant to Head Coach. Seek out people from outside.

Increase Coaching salary amounts. Substantially more money can be raised with greater home attendance over the cost of an entire season. That can happen with a completely new look to the program and WINNING more games within the league. Do the math on 5000 more added to the paid attendance per home game (like earlier times).
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:09 pm

How often has an AD waited until Monday to fire a coach?

Maybe Chik-fil-a university/
Local82

Post by Local82 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:44 pm

Waiting until Monday to announce it, yes. Not waiting until Monday to do it.
That’s the usual pattern at smaller schools.
Sterrett fouled this hiring up. It was inconceivable.
Let’s not forget the many good things he has done.

Still this was inconceivable from Day One.

I don’t blame Gilmore. He never surprised me.
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:51 pm

The whole idea of PL giving scholarships was to get us competitive with the Villanova’s & Delaware’s & schedule Money game with FBS school each year.

Colgate, Holy Cross, & Lafayette have been doing that but Sterrett pulled the plug on that knowing we could not compete. We need to get competitive to do that & schedule Army again. Looks like a new coaching situation is needed to get us there & at the very least a new OC as our play calling has been atrocious.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:09 pm

You're in your fourth year as HC.

Your team goes 2-9 (the worst record almost any of us can remember) and loses to its archrival.

Is there any reason you wait until Monday to resign?

Do you resign?

More important question: How does Lehigh handle recruiting going forward if there are new coaches? Is this year a lost recruiting year if Gilmore & Co. are dismissed/resign?
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:20 pm

1-8 my Freshman year (1967) with the win vs that team in Ithaca. Not Cornell, Ithica College.

And those who came a year but in the 54 years in between I think the worst records 3-7 and 3-8.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:58 pm

Richb-3 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:20 pm 1-8 my Freshman year (1967) with the win vs that team in Ithaca. Not Cornell, Ithaca College.
That was Dunlap's third year. He'd gone 1-8 (Lafayette win) and 0-9 the prior two years, according to Wikipedia.

Then he went 3-7, 4-5-1 and 4-6, before going 8-3 in 1971, which, to me, began the modern-day, winning LU football era.

That's back when some coaches were coaching multiple teams ...