Nothing against the new coach, but Nate Milne was the better choice.

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
HFO

Nothing against the new coach, but Nate Milne was the better choice.

Post by HFO » Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:50 pm

Inferior choices across the board. Board of Trustee members, University President and Head Football Coach.

Proven winner locally in Nate Milne who sports an offensive line that is bigger and faster than what Lehigh has despite being paid tuition and DIII. No scholarships.

Lehigh is a dud and once again the future does not look any better than Gilmore. We just aren't that good and that starts with preparation by coaches.

Sundayamqb

Re: Nothing against the new coach, but Nate Milne was the better choice.

Post by Sundayamqb » Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:38 pm

I'd guess if Muhlenberg is like other DIII schools, it offers plenty of nonathletic aid to middle and lower income students humble enough to know they're not big or fast enough to play in DI (regardless of sport) and will never play in the pros.

I know too many kids who just want to go to DI to experience a DI program and to say they "played DI." I know other just as talented kids who paid a little more to go to DIII, but wanted to play more and have a shot at regional and national prominence.

Having a good coaching staff helps, too.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:21 pm

I have no information that Milne even applied for the job. So it's not like we rejected him. If not on the list, there was no choice...
JAD77

Post by JAD77 » Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:47 pm

ngineer wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:21 pm I have no information that Milne even applied for the job. So it's not like we rejected him. If not on the list, there was no choice...
The telephone was invented roughly 150 years ago. Pretty sure Lehigh has a few. :D JK.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:34 pm

Meaning what? If anyone has confirmation that Milne applied for the job, I'd like to see it. If he had any interest in leaving Muhlenberg and/or applying for the vacancy he would have done so.
Local82

Post by Local82 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:20 pm

There is a lot less grief at Muhlenberg from the fans than at Lehigh. Be half-decent and you can stay a long time.
As for pay? I hope it hits six figures but it might not.
Milne is also OC and the OL coach. He’s maybe 45.
Young enough to make moves.
Former LU Coach

Post by Former LU Coach » Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:35 pm

Nate Milne is Avery nice guy. Someone you would want your daughter to date, or be your next door neighbor. He is generally thought of in the coaching community as someone who has significantly benefited from his situation.

Imagine that all Patriot League Schools except Lehigh banned NIL money. Then Lehigh started giving every recruit a full scholarship +$15,000 a year in NIL. How much better would Lehigh be?

Schools in the centennial operate two ways need based only or merit based with need. Nobody and I mean Nobody does what Muhlenberg does in financial aid at the D3 level, they go over need on every kid. You want a D3 name? Tom Perkovich.

However I don’t think that matters. The problem is two things.

1. Joe Sterret

2. Lehigh Alum Expectations

Someone commented on the transfer portal, that is laugh out loud funny. Do you know the hoops you have to jump through to get a low academic kid into Lehigh whose daddy doesn’t donate? Let a line a transfer. The problem at Lehigh is the alums think they are Harvard academically and Ohio St in football. Best thing that could happen to Lehigh recruiting is this forum not being in existence so that parents cannot read it.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:41 am

Former LU Coach wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:35 pm Nate Milne is Avery nice guy. Someone you would want your daughter to date, or be your next door neighbor. He is generally thought of in the coaching community as someone who has significantly benefited from his situation.

Imagine that all Patriot League Schools except Lehigh banned NIL money. Then Lehigh started giving every recruit a full scholarship +$15,000 a year in NIL. How much better would Lehigh be?

Schools in the centennial operate two ways need based only or merit based with need. Nobody and I mean Nobody does what Muhlenberg does in financial aid at the D3 level, they go over need on every kid. You want a D3 name? Tom Perkovich.

1. Joe Sterret

Someone commented on the transfer portal, that is laugh out loud funny. Do you know the hoops you have to jump through to get a low academic kid into Lehigh whose daddy doesn’t donate? Let a line a transfer. The problem at Lehigh is the alums think they are Harvard academically and Ohio St in football. Best thing that could happen to Lehigh recruiting is this forum not being in existence so that parents cannot read it.
When applying to coaching jobs what is your vetting process? Why did you CHOOSE to work at Lehigh given the institutional deficiencies and "toxic culture" that you describe? Would you describe your "job vetting skills" as above average?

- Alum expectations are contextual to every job. In terms of managing them? Lou Holtz at ND, Nick Saban at 'Bama, Fran Dunphy following Chaney, whoever follows Bob Chesney at Holy Cross, Entz currently at NDSU, Chris Kleiman at K-State, Pete Lembo after Higgins, Small after Whitehead (during PL transition), Fuente following Beamer at VT, and everyone else has dealt with expectations and alum/fan culture in their own unique way could expand on
this well known phenomenon.

- I don't see Lehigh's expectations being unreasonable relative to their PL peers. No one here is demanding a national title or deep playoff run. Simply a return to some semblance of relevancy then go from there? EVERY institution in the PL faces nuanced hurdles. Hell, every job in the country has obstacles. You think being the head coach of Texas is "fun"? Ask Mac Brown how much he enjoyed traveling around Texas to attend bday parties, retirement parties, weddings, engagement parties, baby showers etc. of rich/prominent boosters. Working, at the very least coexisting, with people who reside inside and outside of the locker room and athletic department is part of any college or high school coach's job.

- Having a big rival like Lafayette also creates a very unique dynamic when it comes to the "barometer of success". Especially when that rival, Lafayette, is succeeding in year two of their "new" regime after a decade plus long run of futility. 'Pard athletics face their own unique, well documented institutional challenges.

- This message board/or some variation has been around for years. The banter that occurs here is MILD compared to a lot of college football forums around. Plus, there's twitter, FB, instagram etc. that allow people to interject their emotions/comments. I'm guessing you're not a fan of LFN/Chuck? His FB post following this week's loss, "Team, coaching, and everyone in the program needs to do some serious soul searching this week after this debacle".
mookie

Post by mookie » Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:15 am

There is a lot less grief at Muhlenberg from the fans than at Lehigh. Be half-decent and you can stay a long time.

How is that different than Lehigh? That pretty much describes our basketball and wrestling coaches. Football expectations are not very lofty.
RichH

Post by RichH » Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:49 am

Go Lehigh TU Owl wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:41 am
Former LU Coach wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:35 pm Nate Milne is Avery nice guy. Someone you would want your daughter to date, or be your next door neighbor. He is generally thought of in the coaching community as someone who has significantly benefited from his situation.

1. Joe Sterret

When applying to coaching jobs what is your vetting process? Why did you CHOOSE to work at Lehigh given the institutional deficiencies and "toxic culture" that you describe? Would you describe your "job vetting skills" as above average?

- Alum expectations are contextual to every job. In terms of managing them? Lou Holtz at ND, Nick Saban at 'Bama, Fran Dunphy following Chaney, whoever follows Bob Chesney at Holy Cross, Entz currently at NDSU, Chris Kleiman at K-State, Pete Lembo after Higgins, Small after Whitehead (during PL transition), Fuente following Beamer at VT, and everyone else has dealt with expectations and alum/fan culture in their own unique way could expand on
this well known phenomenon.

- I don't see Lehigh's expectations being unreasonable relative to their PL peers. No one here is demanding a national title or deep playoff run. Simply a return to some semblance of relevancy then go from there? EVERY institution in the PL faces nuanced hurdles. Hell, every job in the country has obstacles. You think being the head coach of Texas is "fun"? Ask Mac Brown how much he enjoyed traveling around Texas to attend bday parties, retirement parties, weddings, engagement parties, baby showers etc. of rich/prominent boosters. Working, at the very least coexisting, with people who reside inside and outside of the locker room and athletic department is part of any college or high school coach's job.

- Having a big rival like Lafayette also creates a very unique dynamic when it comes to the "barometer of success". Especially when that rival, Lafayette, is succeeding in year two of their "new" regime after a decade plus long run of futility. 'Pard athletics face their own unique, well documented institutional challenges.

- This message board/or some variation has been around for years. The banter that occurs here is MILD compared to a lot of college football forums around. Plus, there's twitter, FB, instagram etc. that allow people to interject their emotions/comments. I'm guessing you're not a fan of LFN/Chuck? His FB post following this week's loss, "Team, coaching, and everyone in the program needs to do some serious soul searching this week after this debacle".
+1