Hoyas

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
Lehigh74

Re: Hoyas

Post by Lehigh74 » Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:25 pm

During the head coaching search many of us advocated hiring a head coach who had proven himself at the division 2 or 3 level. There is a big difference between being a coordinator and a head coach. Some are able to successfully make the jump and others are not. It’s too early to say what category Cahill falls into. Hopefully he will figure out what he needs to do to win games at this level.

Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:30 pm

This Lehigh team today reminded me (I watched first half only) of some other things I've seen over the years, and the stats tell a story.

The number dropped passes -- I know it was raining, but Georgetown did not have this problem -- even by sure-handed Jamiel (turns out he's hurt) were amazing. I wonder what the number was -- i can remember at least four.

The lack of pass defense (sacks -- 1 today and only 2 breakups) is not sustainable. In the first half on TV Yadush kept pointing out how our CBs were playing miles off the GT WRs -- and they were, just like last night's Colorado CBs -- and we all know what happened there.

Missed tackles have been a problem for years.

Silbor's 11-34 reminded me of Colgate QB's in the Biddle and Hunt eras. When they won, those QBs ran for 100+ yards. Much of the time they had stats like Silbor's, but with more turnovers. We have to get the passing game to be consistent.

I think the talent is there on both sides of the ball, but there is inexperience ... and the jury's out on the coaching. It's a team game.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:36 pm

With Colgate and Bucknell beating teams today we lost to, are we looking at a winless season in the PL?

I can't even fathom that, but I guess that's why you play the game.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:53 pm

This is a project and will take some time. I was very upset at the poor tackling today. So much grabbing as opposed to propelling one's shoulder into the midsection/legs. No wrapping up. And I agree about the CB's giving too much room to the WR's. I sense a serious case of not wanting to get burned on a wet field). Very costly penalties on offense. Especially in the first quarter the long pass play. What I did see is some young frosh/sophs who have some talent, but it's just not meshing...yet. We have always expected to win the 'toss up" games. So far, only one (Merrimack) has panned out. Cornell, Fordham and now Georgetown (all which we were underdogs) were all winnable games; and Bucknell, Colgate and Lafayette are in that category. I also see a new head coach who learning about calling games. I agree there have been questionable decisions on both offense and defense, but that what we armchair QB's are paid to do. If we do not have anymore injuries (looks like Jameil is out for the season) we should still be in those three games. Two years ago we went to Lewisburg and got our first W of the year. I'm looking for the same.
Hawkineer

Post by Hawkineer » Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:16 am

Point to one aspect of this team that has shown improvement since game one.
QB👎 Awful interceptions. Inaccuracy.
Secondary👎 Play too soft, Can’t play the ball in the air.
O-line👎 Holding, QB pressures.
Discipline 👎 Penalties.
Coaching 👎 All of the above.
Receivers, RBs 🤜
If there was improvement after seven games, patience might be warranted. Patience is in short supply after this one. Even with bad teams including Gilmore’s, we could count on beating Georgetown.
Old Timer

Post by Old Timer » Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:34 am

Hawk, great assessment. Silbor is not the answer. He locks in on one guy every time. Many times, it's the opponent!
D backs never know where the ball is. After 7 games this is unacceptable.
Hawktalker

Post by Hawktalker » Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:02 pm

These are not excuses but they are facts.

Because of injuries and defections from last year's team, the dbacks are all first years and sophomores.

The o line has been a revolving door for most of the season. Three different guys have played left tackle, three others have played center. The current left guard is a first year.

I get it that Injuries are part of the game, but at the Patriot League level, depth is often a problem.

No fan is happy when the team is 1-6 but pointing figures doesn't win games either
Former LU Coach

Post by Former LU Coach » Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:01 pm

TU OWl Lehigh whatever you are… Trust me my man nobody is ever going to mistake you for a football coach. You are in fact a grade A clown. Here is the bottom line.

1. Bad Facilities. Prob the worst in the league

2. You literally have to drive to 10 minutes from campus to practice and workouts

3. Can’t even do a video board the right way blocked by the net lol

4. Lehigh is at best ann above average academic school. Why would any kid who has an Ivy offer go to Lehigh? Makes zero sense.

5. Lehigh doesn’t pay for summer school

6. The Lehigh Football locker room might be worse than every locker room at the D1 level in America.

7. Lehigh Assitant coaches are horribly paid. Put it this way CAA Asst coaches make more than group of 5 coaches. Lehigh is closer to D2/D3 salaries for non coordinators.

8. It is incredibly difficult to get band 1 kids into Lehigh, let a lone transfers

9. Lehigh Alums have drastically unrealistic expectations

10. Schedule… STOP PLAYING NOVA YOU CANT WIN.

11. Kevin Cahill is a Phenomenal football coach, he is cleaning up a disaster. You guys think everything is on the coaches.

12. Do you how many times this message board was brought up in recruiting by parents? Way too many times to count.

13. Way too many alums kids are forced down coaches throat by administration. Too many “Heads Up” emails from Admin about alum kid that should be recruited.

14. The Lehigh Valley largely ignores Lehigh. Why don’t you ask the Mcall beat reporter how many clicks a Lehigh football article gets. It’s lower than anything else.

15. Did I mention how bad the facilities are?

16. I like the strength staff personally. But that staff would have been fired several times over by now anywhere else. Has anyone ever noticed the amount of injuries Lehigh deals with on a year in and year out basis? Yeah that’s in the strength staff, but somehow the football staff is constantly blamed?

16. Did I mention you all suck as alums. I can’t tell you how many times I had to answer Rich H questions from families on a visit.

17. How about practice times, a lot and by a lot I mean a lot of schools practice in the morning. Not possible at Lehigh. Instead because of the commute over the mountain with position meeting you are lucky to start by 4pm. Nevermind when you have 4pm exams and you have to practice at 7pm at night. Or if you want to use the turf because of weather you have to schedule around Lax.

I know it has been done before right… Kevin Higgins is God (he is one of the best coaches and humans on earth btw) but times are different Lehigh in 2016 and 2017 (I was well gone from Lehigh at this point) had Pelletier, Bragalone, Casey, Duffy all of those guys were in NFL training camps. And all of them were off the beaten path recruits, those guys don’t exist anymore, recruiting isn’t the same with social media as 2014/2015 let alone from the 90s. In 2023 those kids don’t come to Lehigh.
LU808

Post by LU808 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:07 pm

+1
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:34 pm

Former LU Coach wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:01 pm TU OWl Lehigh whatever you are… Trust me my man nobody is ever going to mistake you for a football coach. You are in fact a grade A clown. Here is the bottom line.

1. Bad Facilities. Prob the worst in the league

2. You literally have to drive to 10 minutes from campus to practice and workouts

3. Can’t even do a video board the right way blocked by the net lol

4. Lehigh is at best ann above average academic school. Why would any kid who has an Ivy offer go to Lehigh? Makes zero sense.

5. Lehigh doesn’t pay for summer school

6. The Lehigh Football locker room might be worse than every locker room at the D1 level in America.

7. Lehigh Assitant coaches are horribly paid. Put it this way CAA Asst coaches make more than group of 5 coaches. Lehigh is closer to D2/D3 salaries for non coordinators.

8. It is incredibly difficult to get band 1 kids into Lehigh, let a lone transfers

9. Lehigh Alums have drastically unrealistic expectations

10. Schedule… STOP PLAYING NOVA YOU CANT WIN.

11. Kevin Cahill is a Phenomenal football coach, he is cleaning up a disaster. You guys think everything is on the coaches.

12. Do you how many times this message board was brought up in recruiting by parents? Way too many times to count.

13. Way too many alums kids are forced down coaches throat by administration. Too many “Heads Up” emails from Admin about alum kid that should be recruited.

14. The Lehigh Valley largely ignores Lehigh. Why don’t you ask the Mcall beat reporter how many clicks a Lehigh football article gets. It’s lower than anything else.

15. Did I mention how bad the facilities are?

16. I like the strength staff personally. But that staff would have been fired several times over by now anywhere else. Has anyone ever noticed the amount of injuries Lehigh deals with on a year in and year out basis? Yeah that’s in the strength staff, but somehow the football staff is constantly blamed?

16. Did I mention you all suck as alums. I can’t tell you how many times I had to answer Rich H questions from families on a visit.

17. How about practice times, a lot and by a lot I mean a lot of schools practice in the morning. Not possible at Lehigh. Instead because of the commute over the mountain with position meeting you are lucky to start by 4pm. Nevermind when you have 4pm exams and you have to practice at 7pm at night. Or if you want to use the turf because of weather you have to schedule around Lax.

I know it has been done before right… Kevin Higgins is God (he is one of the best coaches and humans on earth btw) but times are different Lehigh in 2016 and 2017 (I was well gone from Lehigh at this point) had Pelletier, Bragalone, Casey, Duffy all of those guys were in NFL training camps. And all of them were off the beaten path recruits, those guys don’t exist anymore, recruiting isn’t the same with social media as 2014/2015 let alone from the 90s. In 2023 those kids don’t come to Lehigh.
What in the world did I say that triggered you? No, I'm not a coach but I've followed/written about PL football and I have a vested professional/educational interest in higher education and college athletics. I did not take shots at anyone nor did a tear down Lehigh as an institution. However, you resort to the term "clown" to reference a long time supporter of the program who avoids taking personal shots? Then you say, "you all suck as alums" after throwing Rich H under the bus. Huh?!?! As a former coach and representative of the university I would hope your engagement with supporters, fans, alums, evolves. Otherwise, your bitterness and anger is far more off-putting than anyone's frustration here with a struggling football program.

Trust me, I have perspective. All you did was offer a rant riddled with institutional and personal insults. What are the solutions? That is far more relevant for discussion at this point....

BTW, if you have time, do you want to evaluate Temple University and its football program? I'm sure you can find plenty of angles to attack there. Trust me, the problems on North Broad FAR exceed those on South Mountain. How about DePaul University men's basketball? It's been 3 decades of Bucknell-level football in Lincoln Park....