Recruits and transfers

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
HFO

Re: Recruits and transfers

Post by HFO » Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:20 pm

Go Lehigh TU Owl wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:15 pm Based on what I'm seeing around the country, Lehigh seems to be doing a good job with retention. Develop the players you got? A novel concept. Isn't this the institution's strength? Although, there's not massive defections at the FCS level all things considered. FBS is a train wreck....

Seal the deal with the high school kids and see what happens. I still maintain it's a small climb to relevancy....
I went through data on Big 10 the other night. Under 6 transfers out is pretty good. Then you have your graduating seniors. However, 6 out per year for 3 years is equivalent to losing an entire recruiting class.

What you do see with the data is that winning teams win because the recruit, develop and retain their athletes. The top tier Big 10 of Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State all have 2 or less transfers out this year.

It is the same in private sector world. Winning whether a hospital system or a Fortune 500 company is about talent acquisition, talent development and talent retention.

Lehigh unfortunately is digging itself out of a hole. It lost a good number of transfers out last year. It will lose another 7+ this year. Then you have 2 years of graduation over that period. This equates to losing about half your team and the Head Coach has not brought on full recruiting class he recruited. This means over the next 2 years, Lehigh will be a young and very inexperienced team, while the elite FBS and even Patriot League teams will be playing with talent they developed for 3 to 4 years.

Coaching changes and transfers out should be the scourge of every Athletic Director. They should be addressed to essentially never happen if possible.

Lehigh has a long-way to go. Recruiting class is showing some good talent. Lehigh still not anywhere close to being 22 players competitive at the Top 3 in Patriot League. Probably 3 years out which takes coach into 4th year of likely a 5 year contract. That 4th year will have to be stellar.

Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:08 pm

Along the graduate school lines, I wonder how many students who graduate from Lehigh even have a viable route to admission to some of Lehigh's more challenging graduate schools vs. say some of the BCS football places they might want to transfer to.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:22 pm

RichH wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:59 am Perri
Ben Banks
Johnson
Kennedy
DiPietro
These guys and all but Jones are seniors graduating but with a year of eligibility.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:01 pm

ngineer wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:22 pm
Ben Banks
Johnson
Kennedy
DiPietro
These guys and all but Jones are seniors graduating but with a year of eligibility.
Does any have PL eligibility left??
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:07 pm

Richb-3 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:01 pm
ngineer wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:22 pm
Ben Banks
Johnson
Kennedy
DiPietro
I gather DiPietro has a year of PL eligibility left. But the others???/
I believe they are all listed as seniors. So as in prior cases, most of our graduating seniors cannot get a masters degree at Lehigh, as I understand per PL regulations. A lot of PL teams have no graduate schools so the few who do would have a built in advantage. I could be wrong, but that is what I recall being discussed before.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:55 pm

Ben Banks
Johnson
Kennedy
DiPietro
Michael Jordan ,so in the portal
RichH

Post by RichH » Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:33 pm

Coach Cahill pleased with the weekend. Posted that the Nest got bigger. Who and how many we'll learn over the next few days.
Rebuilds historically are usually a 3 to 5 year process. Quicker turnarounds have happened but very rarely.
Lehigh will be a youth dominated squad for a few years. That alone does not preclude competitive winning seasons.
Won't speculate on that yet. How good is the recruit class? Any difference makers? How many 5th years? Transfers out and in? Once we get a roster...can this staff put competitive units on the field?
RichH

Post by RichH » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:57 pm

DaJuan Fields. WR. 3 yrs eligibility.
adcs2

Post by adcs2 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:30 pm

I have the up-to-date list as...

Banks
DiPietro
Fields
Kennedy
Johnson
Logan Jones
Jordan
Perri
Shapiro
Wiles

Obviously alot of seniors looking for someone to play for grad school. Missing anyone?
Last edited by adcs2 on Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RichH

Post by RichH » Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:46 pm

As of now . Other seniors will be graduating the old fashioned way. No portal 🤷‍♂️🤣 The seniors I want to know are those staying for a 5th year..