NIL conversation

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
LU808

NIL conversation

Post by LU808 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:04 pm

This topic cuts across all LU sports teams.

Maybe we give it's own Heading(?)

Here's a starter topic on the subject: NCAA proposal would allow direct compensation from schools to athletes

https://deadspin.com/ncaa-proposal-woul ... 1851074201

ngineer

Re: NIL conversation

Post by ngineer » Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:02 pm

My proposal. Eliminate athletic scholarships. Impose a need-based formula for grants in aid. It is college, not the minor leagues of professional sports. The NCAA 'program' is a disgrace and is at odds with its original intent when created. The money spent on D-1 football is obscene and unjustifiable.
RichH

Post by RichH » Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:02 pm

ngineer wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:02 pm My proposal. Eliminate athletic scholarships. Impose a need-based formula for grants in aid. It is college, not the minor leagues of professional sports. The NCAA 'program' is a disgrace and is at odds with its original intent when created. The money spent on D-1 football is obscene and unjustifiable.
The truly sad part is that the money feeding the P5 frenzy is will peak. Will it continue at these levels? What happens when it's gone?
LU808

Post by LU808 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:34 pm

ngineer wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:02 pm My proposal. Eliminate athletic scholarships. Impose a need-based formula for grants in aid. It is college, not the minor leagues of professional sports. The NCAA 'program' is a disgrace and is at odds with its original intent when created. The money spent on D-1 football is obscene and unjustifiable.
While admirable - not realistic. The $$$ Genie is out of the bottle.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:44 pm

LU808 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:34 pm
While admirable - not realistic. The $$$ Genie is out of the bottle.
Oh, I know. I can, say though that I and a number of others I know have lost significant interest in watching FBS football. I don't think I watched a full FBS game this year.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:40 pm

P5 will mean Bktball

P4 FBall. Or will the Rose bowl now go to the winner of Oregon State-Washington State
HFO

Post by HFO » Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:18 am

Some FBS schools require their Athletic Department to be self sustaining. Which means, they reimburse the university for tuition, room & board, fees and books/class materials. For a combined men's/women's scholarships, this can be 500-600 scholarships.

I think this is avenue Lehigh and Patriot League should go. Institutional money meant for academics should not go to athletics. Athletic Departments should raise their own capital and generate revenues to pay for department, staff, coaches and athletes. Then they will see how much it really costs. If they can fund, so be it and max out scholarships and cash stipend.

Athletes are free individual to secure NIL under decision of SCOTUS. If they want to use a university aligned 3rd party aggregator that solicits and arranges deals, so be it, but ultimately the university is not directly involved.

Lehigh for the most part will be a scholarship school. If there is enough money raised that they get a small cash stipend allowed under proposed NCAA rules that is great. There might be a few elite Lehigh athletes able to secure some meaningful NIL deal or a car lease or something, but vast majority will not.

The real payoff in present value terms is the Lehigh education. You are talking for most it will be around $3 million. This is how parents should perceive it.

What should never be allowed to happen is overpaid AD staff and running in the red and financing the department with debt. The Athletic Department should be self sustaining year to year by an AD endowment and revenues.
News
Site Admin

Post by News » Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:17 am

A Humble Proposal to Save College Football - The College Sports Journal

I have a humble proposal to save college football. With all the lawsuits and chaos swirling around the NCAA and member schools, a simple choice needs to be made. One will destroy the sport. The other might save it.
Read More: https://www.college-sports-journal.com/ ... -football/
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:31 pm

+1
LU808

Post by LU808 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:46 pm

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... ge-sports/

How a ruling that Dartmouth basketball players are school employees, can join union may change college sports

Here's a big fat curveball to confuse the crap out of Collegiate sports.