DEFENSE

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
datruph

DEFENSE

Post by datruph » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:26 am

This defense is going to surprise us this year. Kasurba is doing a very good job and I do think the defense will get off the field a lot in 3 downs this year. I think the offense will not be as dominant without the big receiver threats although some of the young wo's have that upside. Do not under-estimate this defense. I am telling you that everybody is going to eat there words!!! Kasurba (not sure how to spell his name) also will be in-line for the head coaching spot when it opens...I do agree that Lehighs facilities are ancient. An improvement would help recruiting. Lehigh is finally giving out the extras like bags, cleats ect....This goes a long way with young kids!!!I do think the o-line will be decent and watch this offense migrate more to the run with an even stronger Dom. If he stays healthy the offense will chew up some clock and help eat up some minutes which will also help an already improving defense. I watched spring and I saw the defense totally wipe out the offense despite how the interviews were skewed. First three games do not help us this year. If we can survive those games without any major injuries we will finish 6-5 and colgate game will be big. I'm really looking forward to watching a much improved defense and a healthy d-line. We may even blitz a little this year which would be nice...we have a nice big fresh rb that will be a stud soon...Team looks good for the future as long as Kasurba stays...

van

Re: DEFENSE

Post by van » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:24 am

thanks for that positive post, as to the O, I know that we lost 2 of the best ever WRs but the cupboard is far from bare, if the new O line is up to snuff we can score at will, if the D can get some stops we would be tough to beat

anyone have eyes on camp? starving for some eyewitness reports from camp
RichH

Post by RichH » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:36 am

Lots of ifs. OL will be OK. Just needs reps. Depth is a real issue now losing Motley and O'Carroll. Some of the frosh are going to have to step up sooner than I thought. Hopefully as well as Evans and Fournier.
Dying for some eyewitness views. Makes me a bit nuts that I cant travel as much as I did even a few years ago.

WRs may not be as tall or as dangerous but they will be deep and very good. A healthy Kelsey with Bibbens, Christiano and Jorge will serve Mayes well.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:43 am

Thanks datruph. Totally agree on Kashurba. I think we will see a competent D if not necessarily a very goid one. Andy is right that we cannot afford to ease into this season. We need at minimum 1-2 in first 3 and to be competitive in these games. Staying healthy a priority with our small roster. ;)
lfnadmin

Post by lfnadmin » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:49 pm

Great post truph. I am also Team Kashurba and I think he is an excellent addition to the staff. Defense thrives on emotion and my impression is he really brings it. Got to set the tone from the first game defensively, too. Very important.
Lehigh74

Post by Lehigh74 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:35 pm

If kashurba is so good (I'm not saying he isn't) can someone explain why he isn't the defensive coordinator. All through this stretch of poor defense, over the last 5 years, I've felt that the problem was more with the scheme and the coaching than with the players.
Last edited by Lehigh74 on Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:53 pm

Andy's loyalty I believe. Kashurba is IMO the reason why we have 1 less coach. He didnt get Kashurba with just a LB asst's pay. One constant every year with Cross was a well coached D.. Their lack every year was athletes and speed.
Lehigh74

Post by Lehigh74 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:10 pm

In general, loyalty is a positive trait. However, sometimes I feel like Andy's extreme loyalty to coaches who are not doing the job is a negative for the program. There is no excuse for the horrendous defensive play over the last 5 years.
TMH

Post by TMH » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:21 pm

Just wondering...is the defense doing any hitting this year?
I attended several practices each of the last two years and the defense was really flying around and making plays, except they weren't allowed to tackle which ended up being a major problem when the games started.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:51 pm

Havent been able this year to go to practice. I do know they spent most of the Spring tackling in drills and live. Mostly thud tackling. Dont know if they did at scrimmage. Hopefully the video later today will show something.
Agree on last year. I have rewatched most of last year's games. Yeah I am a masochist :D . D flew around in games but as you imply did not finish tackles. Stunning the numbers of big plays in each and every game that resulted from runners just muscling through tackles. More than once, I saw a RB run right thru 2 or 3 LU defenders.