YEA...LEHIGH!!!

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
datruph

YEA...LEHIGH!!!

Post by datruph » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:04 pm

Ok my prediction was average. If you laid the points you would have lost. I did win the under. I did say that our defense was getting better. It was nice to sit in the third qtr and say our defense was playing good and that we could still win this game. I thought the defense looked great...Kids flying around. Blitzing a lil...The d line and lb played very good. That was a very experienced oline that got nothing from us. Our secondary got beat on some floaters but that can be corrected easily. I LIKE OUR DEFENSE...I did say that we would ground game and control the ball which we did. The oline did well. Think the offense is slightly behind. Surprise seeing back up qb start. He looked composed. I think the offense needs a boot in the ass but sfu ran a defense that made us run which we do not like to do. Surprised Brisson stayed with what the defense gave but kudos. Dom is a horse. Back up rb looked decent. Back to the defense. WE LOOK MUCH IMPROVED. We actually looked like a d1 defense. Now I dont want to get ahead of myself but after the next two games we could settle in and make a run at 6-5. Injuries dictate that...Also looks like this team despite what I think is very average recruiting will have a future. The oline will be young. we have a couple of young rbs and receivers. Our qb looked good. The o may be ok. The defense also looks to be decent for the future. Kashurba needs to stay around. Pay the man...other than that, I am very happy for the win. GO LEHIGH!!!

RichH

Re: YEA...LEHIGH!!!

Post by RichH » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:35 pm

We survived. Dont agree on OL tho. Fournier and Ricco were great but C and Right side a chinese fire drill. Wagner whiffed more often than not on his man. Gurth did OK on runs but had a lot of trouble chasing SFU's outside rush.WRs did quite well. Sasha Christiano and Jorge.
Mayes getting suspended is on him. An acaddmic suspension and classes just started.
D was impressive. Very strong inside. Nace Kauffman Lynn and Morrow rotated well. Kircher is a force. New Hawk slot will help. Slater played a lot but from what I saw Maxie is better. SFU's height an issue for our guys. Puzzled why we single covered Lewis so much.
Nova beat Temple dominant W. We need to play much better just to stay competitive.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:02 pm

Neat stat from today. SFU got 58 yds on 33 carries. 1.7 avg.
Kashurba is getting paid. His pay is why there is no ST coach. :)
van

Post by van » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:08 pm

our CBs never seem to find the ball in the air, lose every 50/50 ball, this has been going on for years
RichH

Post by RichH » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:16 pm

SFU receivers 6'4 6'7 and 6'4. The 2 big passes were both back shoulders. Hard for even pros to cover. The other to Lewis was a missed assignment I think. Rover single covering deep not likely a planned set for Lehigh.
2 INTs a novel experience for us even if one was on an XP. :D
TMH

Post by TMH » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:04 pm

Personally, I thought the play calling in the 4th Quarter was atrocious and very nearly cost us the game.

Here is an interesting stat from last year
Dom Bragalone caught 13 passes in 11 games last year. I'll assume they were all of the screen pass variety and I don't remember him dropping a pass. They went for 224 yards or 17.3/catch and 4 TDS.

2016 10 receptions 105 yds 10.5/catch and 1 TD
2015 14 receptions for 254 yds 18.14/rec and a TD

I may be crazy but I like the odds of a RB who can squat 620# against 5-10, 180# DBs.
With a leaky OL, why isn't this a staple to our offense?
RichH

Post by RichH » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:19 pm

Good point. I hate WR screens. One of my buddies also had a good point. Perhaps Brisson kept us vanilla pre Nova. Geez I hope so. :D
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:12 pm

WR screen a staple of this type offense. Stretches defense and puts OLBs in bind. Can’t cheat into box. Mayes a smooth operator in this offense. Not sure it was vanilla O by design but more what D was giving......not to mention growing confidence in our own defense. They were outstanding vs run game. Pass rush improvement will help DBs. Agree with Rich H...balls were back shoulder and I might even argue underthrown. Solid start to season.
van

Post by van » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:31 pm

love Brags and he is a workhorse but was hoping to see more of the Fr RB, looked good when he was in, has a great first step
NJLehighFan

Post by NJLehighFan » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:15 pm

Good first game win. Turnover in first quarter was big as we were driving in for score.
Fumble in the end zone for points kept SFU in the game. We have to clean those things up for Villanova. D looked good although SFU offense not very strong other than their tall receiving crew. It's good that we could get a win only scoring 21 points. Last year we were losing games putting up 30-40 points.