Week 1: St. Francis: LFN Report Card and Players of the Week

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
RichH

Re: Week 1: St. Francis: LFN Report Card and Players of the Week

Post by RichH » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:50 pm

Fair grades mostly. OL more of a C tho. Fornier/Rosen excellent. C to RT not so much. Some OK but more missed blocks and disunity . C had trouble inside too often. Ricoo a stalwart but in betwen 2 inexperienced LM is a tough spot.
STs also. The Ks did a fine job. Coverage was hit and miss.
NJLehighFan

Post by NJLehighFan » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:53 pm

Easy grader. Still a lot to clean up from first game before having an honor roll student GPA.
van

Post by van » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:18 pm

couple things that stood out for me,
1. can't remember any missed tackles and can't remember the last time I could say that
2. Buckram vastly improved from last year where he was run over a lot
3. CBs still can't find the ball in the air even when they have great position
RichH

Post by RichH » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:38 pm

Thanks van.

LFN 1 correction Buckrham isvthe R not a DB
TMH

Post by TMH » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:33 pm

I hate to be "Debbie Downer" but there were aspects of this game that I saw very differently than the report card.
Interesting fact: Despite all the accolades bestowed on DB this week if you take out the one big play, Dom carried the ball 28 times for 85 yards or about 3.0/c. I'm just not sure who to blame. The offensive line must take some responsibility. The play calling shares some blame. Dom runs incredibly hard but it's mostly north-south.

I was not impressed with special teams and I don't believe we have a coach there. Henning had zero TBs, not 4. St. Francis averaged starting on about the 30. There was the roughing call. Even the block, by all accounts never made it past the OL backs. Mish was a constant in a good way.

On the plus side, the front six looked great. Buckrham ironically played great in run defense but I believe (I may be wrong) that he was the victim on several of those jump balls. He had good position couldn't make the play. It's early though.

Villanova will be the barometer IMO. They just beat Temple. In order to hang with them, we need to up our game substantially. The horses are there. Hopefully we got some rust out.
RichH

Post by RichH » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:58 pm

A few quibbles TMH. New KO rule as to fair catchesvfrom 25 on in. All maked the same. My guess is Henning doing KOs because he has a long hangtime. Agree tho I would prefer Mish if healthy.
Buckrham is the R. He should never have single coverage deep. Normally a S should come over. Dont know whether S screwed up or D set had him elsewhere. Either way a mistake. R usually has RB on flares and screens to his side. SFU had 3 big pass plays. The one over Buckrham and 2 back shoulder catches on the other side. Even pros have tough time with them. D
Suits has D focused on run. Part of that is playing safties up to fill gaps. Worked but that may be a part of R going deep alone. S has to react back timely. Not always easy.
TMH

Post by TMH » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:08 pm

Thanks Rich,
I'll never get use to this rover concept except I thought it was a hybrid LB/S much like the Packers used Morgan Burnett. The purpose was to give help on the run but also to disguise coverage. Buckrham is a DB back by trade whether it be DB or S. Why wouldn't he go out in coverage?
RichH

Post by RichH » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:31 pm

He would be a S if anything. Yeah even a R may have to go deeper than usual as CB usually has his own guy. We dont play much zone. The problem is he should usually get S help.

Good point on Brags. He did have some decent runs. We're not used to seeing him do as many grind dives tho. No Nana or Micco this year. Allen looks like the real deal tho.
Right side of OL from C to T has to be better..