Penn game

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
datruph

Re: Penn game

Post by datruph » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:35 pm

offense is awful....somebody needs an ass chewing...

CHIP72

Post by CHIP72 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:51 pm

To be quite frank, Brad Mayes was very poor today; he was inaccurate on a number of throws where the receiver was wide open and he had time to throw.

On the flip side, I thought Bragalone played well; the first defender almost never brought him down, and he was only slowed down when Penn realized he was Lehigh's only real offensive threat and started keying on him.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:04 pm

Puzzled
O is a mess. Yet it never seems to adapt. We ran well. Passing was iffy at best. So we stopped running. Why?
Penn applied heavy pressure. Not one screen. We dont throw to RB or TE. Strictly vanilla. Even so O seems lost. There must be answers. I dont have them.

D held up pretty well til the 4th. Big plays again a bane. Tackling rather hit or miss particularly late. Tired. Wouldnt be surprised.
Staff has 2 weeks to put this team back together.
Hawktalker

Post by Hawktalker » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:12 am

The defense is much improved, but wore down as the game went on. The offense?? Who are those people in the brown and white uniforms? Is this fixable during the bye, or before PL play begins? Except for Colgate the league looks down, but yikes
van

Post by van » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:04 am

I was begging for a wheel route

seems the game plan was to keep TE and RB in to help cover up for OL

penalties and inaccurate throws really killed drives, as Andy noted in post game; O is out of synch!

as to the D, big plays still a concern but Penn punted 8 times, was there any game last year where the opponent punted 8 times? D is not our problem

hard to see how this team can beat Princeton in 2 weeks as they are probably much stronger than Penn, hope for a miracle improvement by then
RichH

Post by RichH » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:32 am

O has too many moving parts out of sync.
OL has not yet recovered from all the loss of personnel.Lost 3 starters to grad. 3 returning OTs. Lost all of them. Getting Evans back yesterday will perhaps help at Princeton. IMO, most of our O issues cascade from the OL. Too much rush pressure on QB. Too many errant throws. Fastest WR nursing a bad ankle. Dont know whether play calling is constrained by OL issues or is just unimaginative. In either case it is puzzling. Almost as if only WRs are eligible to catch passes. :roll:
It is clear D is much improved over last year. We still have a way to go before it is good.
NJLehighFan

Post by NJLehighFan » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:47 pm

Agree, Rich H., most issues of passing directly related to OL. sacks, batted down balls, errant passes, receivers can't run their patterns. When Brad had time in the past he was slinging downfield even as a freshman he delivered the ball. Now he's on the run for his life before the receivers are 10 yards downfield. Couple of bad snaps in shotgun really kill drives also.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:05 pm

Good point. Forgot about all the high snaps. A lot of moving pieces just not in sync.
datruph

Post by datruph » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:49 pm

we are four games in and we are making excuses. at this level excuses get you fired. bottom line is kids are not performing. light a fire under there ass and see how quickly things change. bench a couple of kids and see how fast things turn around. STOP BABYING OUR KIDS... lets stop making excuses and ball. so far this season the offense has hid behind that we played three great defenses and now we should go...well, penn by no means was a tough team. im just tired of the excuses and pointing the finger at each other. enough!!! the players on the field arent getting it done...if you dont produce at work you lose your job...its a second level attitude. no more excuses. find players that get it done...i do think our defense is playing much better and will continue to improve.GO LEHIGH!!!
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:48 pm

I feel kind of guilty saying this, but I've watched LU football for decades. There have been relatively few years in which I did not look forward to spending a few hours on a weekend watching a game.

This is one of them.

I hope Brags gets to play at the next level. He is fun to watch.

Like Van, I'm also looking for wheel route.

OC has to learn to deal with this OL.

And Patriot League has to do some growing up or start playing D2 teams. Come to think of it, when was last time we played D3 Muhlenberg or Moravian? #RivalryGames