PRINCETON

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
mookie

Re: PRINCETON

Post by mookie » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:22 pm

This is cruel and unusual punishment for Andy. He needs a mercy firing.

Hawkineer

Post by Hawkineer » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:25 pm

mookie wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:22 pm This is cruel and unusual punishment for Andy. He needs a mercy firing.
Let's hope that he begs for mercy and Sterrett grants it.
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:28 pm

Mercy will happen when we get drilled by the hapless Leopards....

This is a sad state of affairs. Reminds me of when I was a child and my dad took us to Bucknell (his alma mater) games in Lewisburg. Dad would say of Lehigh during a Bucknell blowout: "Tremendous school, great band, lousy football."
IPSY1975

Post by IPSY1975 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:50 pm

Tremendous tradition of rivalry with Ivy league schools is at stake here.

I just finished reading the article about how the Ivies have an unfair advantage in recruiting. Unfair or have they just outsmarted the PL once we began full scholarships not based on need?? The Patriot League needs to re format and copy what they are doing (apparently the FCS/NCAA finds nothing wrong with their methods)

If this is doable can it get done ?

Give Coen and Sterrett a chance to figure this out and get the Patriot League to make some adjustments
RichH

Post by RichH » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:02 pm

That would work. The minor glitch is that PL schools do not have the money that Ivies have to fund a program that awards that level of aid to all students. Lehigh already has the same type of aid program in place but at significantly lower levels. What we actually need is the full 63 scholarships and an end to roster caps. I would like to see at least some modification of our redshirt rules.
mookie

Post by mookie » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:00 pm

Come on guys we have enough funding to choke a horse. The program is a complete cluster. Spend 10 minutes at a practice and you'll get it .
RichH

Post by RichH » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:23 pm

Sorry mookie. No PL school does. LU has the largest endowment at about $1.4 billion. HYP all have in excess if $25 billion and all Ivies exceed our endowment by a lot.
IIR we give an avg of somewhere in the mid 20,000s. We would have to double that to match the Ivies. About 100 to 150 million each year. We would spend our entire endowment in 10 years. Admittedly on paper only but tuition income is still an important revenue source for Lehigh and all PL schools. .My estimates are just that but my point is the same. We cant afford it.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:26 pm

Hawkineer wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:50 pm
ngineer wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:38 am Agreed. It is apparent this year's OOC schedule is tougher than last years. So the real measuring stick will be when league play starts. If we run the PL table, or go 5-1, with a close loss to Colgate, then there will be no blatant basis to make major changes. If 'playing up' in the OOC makes you better for the league competition, then so be it.
Except for Navy, how is this year's OOC schedule playing up? One NEC, one CAA, two Ivies. Seems like a ridiculous excuse to rationalize another pathetic performance. Can't wait to hear the excuses next with a less than daunting OOC schedule.😠😠😠
By the way, given how bad the league is, how do you judge how well these drubbings have prepared them for games among the sisters of the poor?
Penn and Princeton, have improved significantly with their expansion and beefing up of rosters, and 'nova, with their QB is a very strong team. Princeton had 117 dressed and as LFN has pointed, out the IL has basically circumvented the rules by using the 'need' basis but a huge majority of their recruits are eligible for significant aid with many close to full rides. St. Francis is not a step up, but a peer in terms of talent. They have competed well in the playoffs. The NEC has achieved a high level of skill players, a good number through transfers, so yes, I see this year's OOC is tougher than last years.
What bothers me about today's performance was a regression. While Navy beat us bad, I felt the kids were still playing hard. Today looked like a number had their hearts ripped out. Dropped passes and horrible tackling. Lack of focus. The play calling is dumbfounding. Let's continue to bang our heads against the wall by running Brags up the middle when the OL is getting blown up????? I see no creativity on offense. Are we saying we do not have the talent to be creative? I think we are getting out coached. Only being out of position results in such huge gaps in the defense with Princeton receivers and RBs running UNTOUCHED at will. 733 yards of offense?? Other than the 77-14 dubbing we took out in Idaho 20-30 years ago, I can't think of a worse beating. Fordham is next. Winless. Beaten today by Georgetown! If we have another putrid performance like today, then Dean Sterrett will have to act. As much as I like Coach Coen, I was stunned by what appeared to be a lack of involvement or, basically, a detachment to what was occurring around him. I am concerned.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:43 pm

Not really sure ngineer whybwe are running this offense.OC is using him like Nana. Gut runs. Dom makes his bigs runs by bouncing outside. Dont have the talent to be creative on offense ??? That is when you do get creative. Just look back at Small Higgins Lembo Ceech and even Folmar. Especially early on we never out talented most teams. We had AirLehigh a funky complicated O to confuzzle them :D Last yr we didnt need to be creative. We could out talent most everybody. We cant this year. OC seems unwilling to run anything except the same sets and plays over and over. A puzzle.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:19 pm

I don't think the OC is capable of doing anything other than basic stuff. Very few 'moving parts' to confuse defenses. Granted we don't have many 'gamebreakers' but Princeton and Penn have showed us what crisp execution does. I think a decision needs to be made, now, about next season so plans can begin being put in place in order to have continuity with recruiting and no unnecessary surprises.