Fordham

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
Bison_137

Re: Fordham

Post by Bison_137 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:19 pm

mookie wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:54 pm Lehigh needs him but he's priced out of the Patriot League. He makes somewhere around $600,000.
Who is?

ngineer

Post by ngineer » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:15 am

RichH wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:59 pm The vast majority of our coaches have come from D2 and 3. A good number from Lehigh and the balance from Ivies , FCS and FBS. The mere fact that they come from a lower division does not stamp thrm as bad. The failure to succedd is the test. IMO, the coaches now on staff are competent overall. A few are very good. The results have not been at all good. The problem may be that some of these men are teaching the right lessons but they are just not getting thru to the players. Evident from Andy's postgame comment that the issues had been fixed during practice but reappeared in game. The messages are not getting thru.
Not sure where this comes from? Ward and Ford (newbie) are Lehigh grads. Most the others came from D3, except the two new guys from Harvard and Holy Cross (Bandy and Kushurba)

Granted, the OL is much more of a project than we anticipated due to the preseason injuries that sidelined two starters for the year. What is bothersome is that there has not been improvement at this midway point with a lot of moving parts. What began as a promising improved D has regressed. Either players don't understand assignments and are out of position, or getting fooled by opponents' offense, but the number of big gaining plays by the opposition is unbelievable. When I see Colgate, Georgetown and Bucknell putting up good D numbers it shows that it can be done with the right coaching--both scheme and technique. Good teams start with a good D, and we seem to have abandoned that as a priority. This is not a sudden blip. Last year's team was not good. It was a fools gold PL championship because of how bad the rest of the PL had become. So it made us feel good, but we were a 5-7 team. The problem is not just losing, but HOW we are losing. I haven't see us "competing" since the second half at Penn.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:31 am

Chehreh wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:05 pm The keyboard warriors kill me.. it's the seniors, it's the coaches, players feel entitled, it's this it's that.. how about it's a freaking down year.. suck it up buttercups, football has it's ups and downs. Your OL is pretty young, offense isn't syncing well, defense is getting worn down, your secondary is also missing key players. It's going to be rough 4 games. The Boys will get through and maybe just maybe you can find a way to encourage them believe me they want to win they don't enjoy losing anymore than we enjoy watching it.
Chehreh:

No disrespect intended, but ...

Down year? If so, let's give everyone a trophy at the end of the year. Extend the coaches' contracts.

Yes, this team could go 5-6 and get a trip to the playoffs. Once in, they could make a run.

But down year?

UNH is having a down year. 1-5 so far after having 14 consecutive winning seasons, advancing to the NCAA Division I FCS tournament each year. It pulled this off in crappy weather and (until last year) in a substandard FCS stadium and athletic complex.

Lehigh? Look at the defensive yardage stats I posted earlier. Numbers matter and they've been consistently among the NATION's worst.

1-5 is a down year after 5-7, 9-3, 6-5 and 3-8? Sorry, it's a bad trend ... with some great team leadership when it went 9-3.

In other words, LU is 24-28 the past five years vs. 43-16 the prior five years (which included a true down year at 4-7).

Numbers don't lie.

Let's not give these kids a world-class, $65,000 education and teach them to make excuses.

How about we teach them to learn from mistakes, rise up (like this team did last year) and make a run of it? That's supporting the team.

But the downward spiral in defense and wins and losses must be on the coaches.
Last edited by Sundayamqb on Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:33 am

Reminder of the defensive numbers:

NCAA rank among 124 FCS teams
2018: 114, 509.2 YGP
2017: 119, 477.7
2016: 89, 418
2015: 106, 451.3
2014: 112, 474.9
2013: 93, 439.9

You can't blame the players for six years of this. (I could not find the stats from 2012 and back.)
mookie

Post by mookie » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:25 am

Who is?

Temple head coach Geoff Collins.

He's innovative and energetic. Totally reshaped Temple's roster that needed to start 42 different players due to injuries and youth, and led them to bowl eligibility for the fourth consecutive season.
Bison_137

Post by Bison_137 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:23 am

mookie wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:25 am Who is?

Temple head coach Geoff Collins.

He's innovative and energetic. Totally reshaped Temple's roster that needed to start 42 different players due to injuries and youth, and led them to bowl eligibility for the fourth consecutive season.

Collins is making MUCH more than $600,000. In fact at least 2.5 times more than that. He made $1,051,000 at Florida his final season and had turned down HC jobs that would have paid him more. I am sure he didn't leave Florida for less than $1.5 Million, which is what Ruhle was making at Temple.