Holy Cross

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
LUFAN

Re: Holy Cross

Post by LUFAN » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:28 am

jimk72 wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:19 am I'm sure this is not true of the entire group, but it appears much of the team and coaching staff haven't only given up. At this point they really don't even want to be there. I could care less about how we fans feel about all this. I do feel a bit sorry for those aboard this Titanic who really do care about playing or coaching football and getting a great education at Lehigh.
100% agree.

RichH

Post by RichH » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:36 am

Reading this thread about the only one who hasnt been blamed for the current state of Lehigh football is Trump.
There are certainly plenty of issues many of which we all see and likely some we are not aware of. Blaming is not the answer.It is probable that all of the these play some part in our present situation. The priority now is to identify those things that can be fixed and start the process to repair our program. Delaying that process will just exacerbate an already bad situation. We all have opinions on what must be done. The only opinion that matters right now is Sterrett's.
We lose a large senior class. A delay , given the short period to the ESD, could be lethal to this year's recruiting. I note that some are arguing that our problems startvwith subpar recruiting. Some truth there as we took too long to get the knack of schollie recruiting. The current frosh and soph groups are not however subpar. Both are excellent. Junior class was better than the prior 2 classes. Our early recruiting landed some excellent players but far too many of the same level players we brought in preschollie. While we were learning the new process the Ivies amped up aid and their recruiting as did the NEC. We no longer could be satisfied with the preschollie level of talent. We neede better. We are getting those players now. That said , there is no leeway under PL rules for losing a class.
Said my piece. It is imperative that Sterrett act to identify what needs to be done and do it.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:41 am

jimk72 wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:19 am I'm sure this is not true of the entire group, but it appears much of the team and coaching staff haven't only given up. At this point they really don't even want to be there. I could care less about how we fans feel about all this. I do feel a bit sorry for those aboard this Titanic who really do care about playing or coaching football and getting a great education at Lehigh.
Well said Jim. Agreed.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:41 am

Well said Jim. Agreed.
Hawktalker

Post by Hawktalker » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:36 pm

I don't see the point in changing coaches with three games to play. You can't even start the search for the next coach yet since the people you may be intetested in are still employed somewhere else.
The next coach will have his work cut out for him. He will be tasked with turning around a program that likely will have lost 10 games the previous year
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:48 pm

Hawktalker wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:36 pm I don't see the point in changing coaches with three games to play. You can't even start the search for the next coach yet since the people you may be intetested in are still employed somewhere else.
The next coach will have his work cut out for him. He will be tasked with turning around a program that likely will have lost 10 games the previous year
If you find the right coach a team/program can turn around quickly. I think Lehigh has more of a cultural problem than a talent problem.

Colgate
Ed Sweeney 1995 0-11
Dick Biddle 1996 6-5

Fordham
Tom Masella 2011 1-10
Joe Moorhead 2012 6-5

Given how weak the PL is a competent coach/staff can work wonders. Plus, it's not like next year's schedule is murderers row.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:10 pm

Go Lehigh TU Owl wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:48 pm
Hawktalker wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:36 pm I don't see the point in changing coaches with three games to play. You can't even start the search for the next coach yet since the people you may be intetested in are still employed somewhere else.
If you find the right coach a team/program can turn around quickly. I think Lehigh has more of a cultural problem than a talent problem.

Colgate
Ed Sweeney 1995 0-11
Dick Biddle 1996 6-5

Fordham
Tom Masella 2011 1-10
Joe Moorhead 2012 6-5

Given how weak the PL is a competent coach/staff can work wonders. Plus, it's not like next year's schedule is murderers row.
Agreed. Talent is not the real issue for us. At least as compared to PL teams. We do need at least another good class to have some depth at more positions.
The key is making the right decisions and take whatever steps are needed to fix this mess.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:58 pm

RichH wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:10 pm
Go Lehigh TU Owl wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:48 pm

Colgate
Ed Sweeney 1995 0-11
Dick Biddle 1996 6-5

Fordham
Tom Masella 2011 1-10
Joe Moorhead 2012 6-5

Agreed. Talent is not the real issue for us. At least as compared to PL teams. We do need at least another good class to have some depth at more positions.
The key is making the right decisions and take whatever steps are needed to fix this mess.
I'm referencing the best case scenario. Things could obviously take longer but I really don't think this is full on rebuild if you clean house and give an incoming staff the proper tools. A couple key transfers (ala Mike Nebrich, Tebucky Jones Jr. etc.) wouldn't hurt ;)
CHIP72

Post by CHIP72 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:39 am

Hawktalker wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:36 pm I don't see the point in changing coaches with three games to play. You can't even start the search for the next coach yet since the people you may be interested in are still employed somewhere else.
Maybe Andy Coen can make like Denny Douds did 35 miles to the northeast at D2 East Stroudsburg (and Douds had been coaching at ESU A LOT longer than Coen has been at Lehigh).
mookie

Post by mookie » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:18 pm

Hue Jackson is available.