Bucknell

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
LU808

Re: Bucknell

Post by LU808 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:36 pm

Went to a Lehigh v Bucknell football game .....and a Lehigh team showed up!

Hawktalker

Post by Hawktalker » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:37 pm

That's more like it!
Where was this effort the last seven games?
Mayes, Bragalone, Portorreal, O'Neil, Haffner, Wilson, the O line all had season-best games.
Next week will be much more difficult but if they play as well in two weeks as they did today, they'll end the season on a happy note.
Changes are still necessary but finally a reason to smile on a Saturday
RichH

Post by RichH » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:51 pm

Emotion today. A big difference. Key for the O was the OL.Bucknell not very good but they have a stalwart D, particularly up front. Dom finall had running lanes and Brad time to pass.
If the same team shows up next week, we will give Gate a game.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:22 am

It was nice to see some emotion out there today, but we were fortunate we were playing Bucknell and not Colgate. There were some real dumb mistakes that could have cost us the game against a quality team. Several penalties that can change a game's dynamics and reflect a lack of discipline. Still, it was nice to see production by the offense against a team that has been generally credited with being a defense-first type of team. Colgate is going to come in with fire after last year's loss, which they feel was caused by some officials' calls. PLus there has never been any love lost between these two schools for the past 25 years. Not, also, 'gate is slowly creeping up on us as the "winningest" team in the PL. I think they are only about 7 games behind us. I hope today's game helps get the team's confidence reinforced so that they can go out and really give 'gate a good game. I don't think many, if any, give us a shot, but football can take funny bounces (Ohio State barely escaped a loss against 2-7 Nebraska today).
Lehigh74

Post by Lehigh74 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:52 pm

Nice to finally win a game. The key was that the offensive line played much better. I saw were all of Mayes completions were to only 3 receivers. Maybe someone can explain to me why:
1. We never throw to the tight end?
2. We never run a traditional screen? Bucknell had a couple of big plays on screens.
3. Our running backs are good receivers, why don't we throw to them?
If we are going to have a chance to beat Colgate, our offense is going to have to be much less predictable.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:04 pm

An outgrowth of Folmar that Brisson still does. We recruit TEs every year. We have a bunch on the roster. And they are rarely ever used for anything except blocking. Why?
RBs are likewise rarely thrown to. We have had , if not a one dimensional O, a rather limited one. Last year it made sense in a way with our star WRs. Going forward?
One of our most successful plays vs Gate over the years was the backside flare to a RB. All motion to the left and QB lobs a throwback to the RB on the right. One of my favorite plays. Ah well, lets hope we can build on Bucknell and give Gate a good game.
van

Post by van » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:58 pm

suspect the TE and RBs are being used to block so much this year to cover up the weakness in the OL, Brags was out in the pattern a few times this week, if the OL improves perhaps we can start using RBs and TEs more in passing, OL did perform much better this week but Bucky had their best DE out for the game too, Gate DL is nothing to toy with if we want to see the QB remain vertical

there is enough talent in the WRs to get open on any play if the QB has time to find the open guy and not rush his throws, to me the whole season has hinged on how well the OL works, our D although still not great is good enough the hang with most if the O is consistent
TMH

Post by TMH » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:45 pm

I'm not sure I agree with the rationale for not using our TE or RB in the passing game. Last season, we had a superb offensive line. In 12 games, our TEs caught only 7 passes, avg about 18 y/c.
As far as the screen pass, some penetration is key to making it successful. With a bad offensive line, the Giants at least found a way to get the ball to Barkley in space through the passing game.
Part of it is certainly play calling but I also wonder if the QB gets through all his reads to find the TE and RB.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:57 pm

Probably not in most of our games this year. However, a screen can be the first read if called. Folmar didnt use them either. Didnt understand why then, still dont now. Yet we keep recruiting TEs. Spread O scheme highlights WRs. Why we are still running this version of it is another question.
NJLehighFan

Post by NJLehighFan » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:37 pm

This is the team we all knew was in there, but could not come out and show itself. I saw stuff from the players and the coaching staff that was very encouraging. Brisson going aggressive with minutes left in the first half to get us to 21 was great. I thought they might just try to go into the halftime at 14-6.
Reilly O'neal was a monster on defense all day. Portoreal was pulling passes out of defenders hands. It just really felt good. This is how you want to go into the Colgate game, with the team showing that we have the tools, but just need to execute.