Bethlehem Steel FC Leave Goodman

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
lehigh90

Bethlehem Steel FC Leave Goodman

Post by lehigh90 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:57 am

Not sure if this was posted already, but USL forcing Beth FC to leave Goodman as it has no lights.

http://www2.philly.com/philly/sports/so ... utType=amp

Sundayamqb

Re: Bethlehem Steel FC Leave Goodman

Post by Sundayamqb » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:52 am

I was surprised USL played at Goodman with no lights.

Anything think this could this be impetus for LU to consider adding lights?
Shadow1

Post by Shadow1 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:17 am

One would think but funds are limited and priorities are elsewhere - across the mountain.
Richb-2

Post by Richb-2 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:55 pm

someone is insane. For Steel FC to not continue at Goodman, They will need to acquire land somewhere in the valley 10-25 acres probably; Build a 5-10,000 seat stadium. Build the ancillary structures (locker-rooms, maintenance buildings, restrooms and concessions. Then they need to install lights, possibly including lights at the parking lots they need to build.

OR Steel Fcould continue in Goodman Stadium and pay to have lights installed.

For Lehigh, they would need merely to agree to allow Steel to Install Stadium lights, Since Stabler already has lighted parking for 6,000 fans, It would seem reasonable for Lehigh to install lighting for the parking for another 10-12,000 fans

For Lehigh to not allow steel to install lights they need to forego the possibility of ever hosting another Playoff Game, Forgo the possibility of increasing attendance by having 4:00 PM and 7:00 PM starts, accept the probability of having an incomplete game (combine Lightening and OT), possibly Forego the opportunity to host HS playoffs, and forgo the possibility of using Goodman as a concert venue.

So which party is nuts, Steel FC, Lehigh athletics, both?

The only reason that I can see for Lehigh to drop the ball is that they have decided that fans more elderly than me won't show up if they can't drive home before dark.
StablerBum

Post by StablerBum » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:07 pm

I doubt Bethlehem Steel offered to pay for the lights. They are going to move the team to play at the parent stadium in Chester at zero cost. Maybe they offered to chip in (probably in exchange for beneficial lease terms) but comparing installing lights at Goodman to building a stadium elsewhere in the Valley is probably not a fair comparison. Despite their words about best efforts, I would he very surprised if they ever resurfaced in the LV.
RichH

Post by RichH » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:10 pm

StablerBum wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:07 pm I doubt Bethlehem Steel offered to pay for the lights. They are going to move the team to play at the parent stadium in Chester at zero cost. Maybe they offered to chip in (probably in exchange for beneficial lease terms) but comparing installing lights at Goodman to building a stadium elsewhere in the Valley is probably not a fair comparison. Despite their words about best efforts, I would he very surprised if they ever resurfaced in the LV.
Seems like the most likely scenario. Pretty sure there arent idiots on either side. :D
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:30 pm

I'm curious. What do lights really cost in the grand scheme of things. I have no idea. Their actually cost (estimate?) really would shed some light (oops) on the relative cost versus expected gain. 50K, 100k?
RichH

Post by RichH » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:41 pm

Ran a cost estimate a few years back on lights and a jumbo scoreboard. IIR total was a bit under 425,000. The deal breaker according to LU was the cost of permanent lighting for walkways and parking. A bogus obstacle I think. A friend of mine rents portable lighting for fairs and various event . A spread of 4 light mobiles to cover the area needed would cost about 60,000 . He suggested renting as the number of night games likely would be limited each year. A rental would cost about 5500 to 6500 per game. These numbers are from a couple of years ago.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:10 pm

Lights are relative peanuts.

Pennsylvania Stoners in the old ASL played at Bethlehem Area School District Stadium near Liberty HS in early 1980s. I think it's fake grass now, which could run them out.

Lehigh has petite, grass soccer stadium with lights near Stabler. Steel probably would pack that place.

What about Fisher Field? Real grass or fake?
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:17 pm

Fisher is fake grass.Can't recall if enough width for a soccer field. Reason Goodman stands are further back is due to the ability to accommodate a soccer field.