Coach watch

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
Marco

Re: Coach watch

Post by Marco » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:28 pm

I'm not suggesting that Cecchini can fix the D, only that as a head coach, I am guessing he'll do a better job of hiring the next coordinator. We are five seasons into this "no defense" defense. Being a laughing stock should not suit us.

ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:23 pm

Lehigh runs one of the best athletic programs in the country when considering the entire academic spectrum. With 26 or so intercollegiate teams, LU competes fairly well in most sports and carries a respect for having true student athletes. Too many people get ingrained with a mentality from watching too many 'big time' football factory games on TV and listening to the speculation that goes with the coaching carousel at that level. We are not at that level and never pretend to be. IF football or any other sport actually 'made money' at this level, then there might be some real pressure to demand at least 8 -10 win seasons. But it doesn't work that way at the PL level.

This is not to say that certain accountability is required toward whatever expectations exist by the University. I agree that there are a number of things that are likely going on behind the scenes that no one posting on this board knows about. Of all people, Joe Sterrett has the best interests of Lehigh athletics at heart. He has invested the greater part of his life in creating and leading this department into present and certainly is not interested in seeing it falter. There are tough decisions to be made and we should respect the time being taken to evaluate the road to be taken.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:33 pm

ngineer wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:23 pm Lehigh runs one of the best athletic programs in the country when considering the entire academic spectrum. With 26 or so intercollegiate teams, LU competes fairly well in most sports and carries a respect for having true student athletes. Too many people get ingrained with a mentality from watching too many 'big time' football factory games on TV and listening to the speculation that goes with the coaching carousel at that level. We are not at that level and never pretend to be. IF football or any other sport actually 'made money' at this level, then there might be some real pressure to demand at least 8 -10 win seasons. But it doesn't work that way at the PL level.

This is not to say that certain accountability is required toward whatever expectations exist by the University. I agree that there are a number of things that are likely going on behind the scenes that no one posting on this board knows about. Of all people, Joe Sterrett has the best interests of Lehigh athletics at heart. He has invested the greater part of his life in creating and leading this department into present and certainly is not interested in seeing it falter. There are tough decisions to be made and we should respect the time being taken to evaluate the road to be taken.
+1
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:20 am

I agree Lehigh runs a quality athletics program, especially given the academic expectations of some of the athletes. My hunch is something is going on behind the scenes.

Back in the day a win over Lafayette would have been a successful year. Those expectations have changed, replaced by expectations of a run for the PL title and maybe a win in the playoffs (at least for some of us). Some still remember the magical 1977. With a solid defense, a deep run might have been possible in 2017. We may never get a better offense than 2017.

Expectations increased after athletic schollies were offered. Fair or unfair?

In a way, AC has been a victim of his own success. His huge, ongoing Wellington is the defense. You can't keep saying, "We're going to improve," then don't in any meaningful way.

Surely, winning isn't the only thing a HC must do. Helping to build men of character, quality citizens and alumni is important too. The AD takes that mission seriously. We've been luckier in that way in recent years than many other (winning) institutions.

LU's athletics program is a hit with lots of white males over 50 (which include many of us). It's a trend that doesn't bode well for the future.
SteveHolt

Post by SteveHolt » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:10 am

You have a serious issue with Lehigh football and for that matter all athletics going into 2019 - zero fan support. Students don't go to the games (or have any interest), locals don't go to the games, and younger alumni don't come back to the games (or have any interest). Did you see how few people showed up at the Colgate game?? It was parents weekend for gosh sake, the place should be packed.

Someone needs to look in the mirror and say what are we doing wrong here. Scholarships were supposed to help, they only made things worse.

While obviously the first goal of the athletic program at this level should be to graduate successful student athletes that doesn't stop our peers from doing the same and still taking pride in the program and seeing it as a valuable part of the overall university. Not just a benefit those on the team who are able to take advantage of scholarships. Football is the best way to engage students, the community and alumni and Lehigh has failed miserably at that for the last 10 years.

If they want to be happy with a 5-7 year but "we won the league!" then that is fine, but eventually you will have a 16,000 seat stadium and literally have no one who comes to your football games other than player families.
Shadow1

Post by Shadow1 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:04 pm

Football does not appear to have been a priority in recent tines versus building the Social Justice bureaucracy.
RichH

Post by RichH » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:16 pm

Shadow
Building and expansion are indeed LU's priority. Common sense planning to anticipate educational needs. Moreover,expansion of student body is a very necessary survival move for Lehigh going forward. Neither of those preclude any emphasis on football. The issues football program has now are internal not a consequence of University developements.

Just a word more. This is a football board.. No need for political crap.
TMH

Post by TMH » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:23 pm

SteveHolt,

Personally, I think the #1 and #2 issue for low attendance is Service Electric and the PLN broadcasts of almost all PL sporting events on-line. I'm a big Lehigh sports fan and even I have easily talked myself out of attending some events when I can easily watch it online...with commentary.

Just my opinion.
RichH

Post by RichH » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:33 pm

TMH wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:23 pm SteveHolt,

Personally, I think the #1 and #2 issue for low attendance is Service Electric and the PLN broadcasts of almost all PL sporting events on-line. I'm a big Lehigh sports fan and even I have easily talked myself out of attending some events when I can easily watch it online...with commentary.

Just my opinion.
True enough for LV. For those of us further away PLN is wonderful. I get to watch Bball , football, lax et al. TV is a reality now that Goodman and Stabler have to compete with along with the other issues impacting attendance.
lfnadmin

Post by lfnadmin » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:03 pm

I too was disappointed in the overall year, but worthy of mention was the fact that the Lehigh defense and special teams against Lafayette 1) forced 3 turnovers, 2) held Lafayette to 72 yards rushing, 3) held Lafayette to 3 total points, and 4) unquestionably had the play of the game on the Julian Lynn sack/Davis Maxie TD.

You can argue "where the hell was that defense all year" (and I do), but it is clear that Lehigh had some ballers on defense in 154. Clearly there is talent there.