Coach watch

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
Marco

Re: Coach watch

Post by Marco » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:39 pm

Does anyone remember what happened after Lembo left? The Lembo who averaged 8, 9 wins per year?

Andy pretty much had a bad recruiting year coming in and that haunted him until 2010. 6-5 followed by losing seasons, anemic offense until 2010, and I still say that turnaround was due to a new coordinator/recruiter/teacher.

The ideal situation is like Colgate where Biddle groomed his successor and there was a very smooth transition recruiting-wise.

The only thing I am pretty certain of is that the next HC will be "from outside" the program. And we will probably see a few years of struggle...

van

Post by van » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:17 pm

surprised that this has not been leaked yet, or maybe it has but some on this board have been sworn to secrecy
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:44 pm

Marco wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:39 pm Does anyone remember what happened after Lembo left? The Lembo who averaged 8, 9 wins per year?

Andy pretty much had a bad recruiting year coming in and that haunted him until 2010. 6-5 followed by losing seasons, anemic offense until 2010, and I still say that turnaround was due to a new coordinator/recruiter/teacher.

The ideal situation is like Colgate where Biddle groomed his successor and there was a very smooth transition recruiting-wise.

The only thing I am pretty certain of is that the next HC will be "from outside" the program. And we will probably see a few years of struggle...
Pistol Pete is a smart guy and if you look at his movements, he skedaddles when things don't look right. I think he saw a drop coming in LU talent and, at the same time, saw an opportunity to go down to Elon who had been in a desert for years, but a program with scholarships and new in the powerful CAA. No lose proposition. Turned the program around and parlayed into a low-level FBS job at Ball State. Turned them around, but then into administrative problems with 'not enough support' and jumped to Maryland..and skedaddled there just before they had their dumpster fire earlier this year. Now, starting at the bottom, again at Rice, but he's building a CV that he hopes gets him to an FBS HC.

A transition can be parlayed into opportunities for kids. Many can see a clean slate with a new coach not beholden to current starters. So, depending on who, philosophy, etc. it can have an energy boost, or it can flounder a bit. Time will tell.
TMH

Post by TMH » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:59 pm

Interestingly, Tom Gilmore has just been replaced by Tyler Santucci on the Wake Forest coaching staff. Gilmore is back to being a "defensive analyst" which is not part of the 10 man coaching staff.

Just sayin
fillfittonfield

Post by fillfittonfield » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:43 pm

TMH wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:59 pm Interestingly, Tom Gilmore has just been replaced by Tyler Santucci on the Wake Forest coaching staff. Gilmore is back to being a "defensive analyst" which is not part of the 10 man coaching staff.

Just sayin
Hello all:

I’m a long time Holy Cross fan and supporter of PL football.

Been following your board for a few years but have never posted until now.

Mr. TMH - just wanted to follow up with a few questions regarding your post.

#1 - Is the information you shared taken from a press release, blog, or newspaper article? Or did you receive this info from a Wake Forest insider? I saw where the new coach was hired, but didn’t read anything about Coach Gilmore being moved back to the analyst role.

#2 - With your post, are you speculating that Coach Gilmore is a candidate to take over for Coach Cohen?

My two cents. Tom Gilmore is a great coach and a better person. I bleed purple and he represented Holy Cross incredibly well. I know it would be somewhat odd for a head coach to get fired and then hired a few years later at another school in the same league, but I honestly believe it would be a good hire for Lehigh. Maybe not the trendy pick, but you would be getting a coach who knows how to win and run a strong program.
TMH

Post by TMH » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:57 pm

Welcome to the Board.

Per your request, my information was taken from this article

https://www.dailylocal.com/sports/natio ... b97c1.html

Scroll to the last paragraph.

I have no real inside knowledge on this perceived hiring. What I do know is that Lehigh is in dire need of straightening out it's defense first. Gilmore was an exceptional DC here at Lehigh. He appears to be available. As you know, he has head coaching experience and possesses all the attributes you mentioned plus a mental toughness on defense which is what we need most.

I suppose we find out more tomorrow
fillfittonfield

Post by fillfittonfield » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:33 am

TMH wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:57 pm Welcome to the Board.

I have no real inside knowledge on this perceived hiring. What I do know is that Lehigh is in dire need of straightening out it's defense first. Gilmore was an exceptional DC here at Lehigh. He appears to be available. As you know, he has head coaching experience and possesses all the attributes you mentioned plus a mental toughness on defense which is what we need most.

Thanks for the reply and for sharing this article. Much appreciated.

I guess I’m somewhat disappointed that Coach Clawson is moving him back to an analyst position. Coach Gilmore is incredibly smart guy and knows Defensive Xs and Os better than most coaches out there, so I’m sure he’s very valuable as an analyst. With that said, I personally think his strength is coaching kids directly. Specifically, getting them in the right position, teaching them proper technique, and preparing them mentally.

My memory is starting to fade a bit as I get older, but I seem to remember Coach Gilmore either being nominated or winning an award when he was the Lehigh DC. I think it was a 1-AA “assistant coach of the year” or something like that.

I wish you and the rest of the Lehigh football program all the best for a successful 2019 (except for one day next fall when my Crusaders visit Goodman!).
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:08 am

fillfittonfield wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:33 am
TMH wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:57 pm Welcome to the Board.

Thanks for the reply and for sharing this article. Much appreciated.

I guess I’m somewhat disappointed that Coach Clawson is moving him back to an analyst position. Coach Gilmore is incredibly smart guy and knows Defensive Xs and Os better than most coaches out there, so I’m sure he’s very valuable as an analyst. With that said, I personally think his strength is coaching kids directly. Specifically, getting them in the right position, teaching them proper technique, and preparing them mentally.

My memory is starting to fade a bit as I get older, but I seem to remember Coach Gilmore either being nominated or winning an award when he was the Lehigh DC. I think it was a 1-AA “assistant coach of the year” or something like that.

I wish you and the rest of the Lehigh football program all the best for a successful 2019 (except for one day next fall when my Crusaders visit Goodman!).
You are correct about Gilmore's award when at Lehigh--either 2000 or 2001. Tom is a top shelf defensive coach and would love to get him back here. If he were to team up with Cecchini, I think a lot of LU football fans would have an orgasm.
TMH

Post by TMH » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:44 am

LOL ngineer
I was thinking the exact same thing
mookie

Post by mookie » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:27 pm

Such small thinking. Never hire a retread. Lehigh needs youth and charisma. Lehigh talent level is near the bottom so someone needs to come in and be able to attract the best athletes. A retread won't be able to do that.