Coach watch

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
RichH

Re: Coach watch

Post by RichH » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:08 pm

According to footballscoop the search will extend beyond early signing day. LU promises an "expedient" search. A requirement but is it likely that Joe will go outside the family??

van

Post by van » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:37 pm

no way Joe is surprised at this, and he should have a list of candidates in mind, that said hiring someone in a rush situation not a good idea, so take your time Joe and get it right
RichH

Post by RichH » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:44 pm

Agreed. While rumors have been around quite a while, I have no doubt at all that Joe has actually known the facts for a long time and has prepared .
datruph

Post by datruph » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:01 pm

CECHINNI...
rayric

Post by rayric » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:16 pm

Chicker Gilmore Higgins Schier
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:35 pm

Cecchini and Folamar

I'll toss in Andrew Thacker, DC Temple. With Collins moving to Georgia Tech I'm not sure what will become of our staff. ESPN's Adam Rittenberg pegged Thacker as a rising star in the coaching ranks. He's a Furman grad so he knows academic minded institutions.

I'm not sure about Gilmore. His defenses were never that great in Worcester. Plus, the Crusaders were terrible in close games under him. He had more than a few And Reid clock management/TO issues in his career. Their 2009 PL Title team could have coached themselves. Great assistant but Lehigh can do better HC wise imo.
FBCSLEh

Post by FBCSLEh » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:44 pm

datruph wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:01 pmCECHINNI...
I mean he's coming off 2-9 at a lesser school, in a conference with no scholarships. I'm hesitant
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:55 pm

Just a shame Coach Coen's career has to end like this. In reading the press release it easy to forget how well he and the team did during the middle of his tenure. Remarkable to me how often people have remarked on what a great human being he is. You usually don't hear that from fans when things are going poorly on the field.

To me going outside the program is real option. We need a fresh, new, young approach to our situation in FCS. Joe has done a good job in locating this sort of talent from time to time. Kevin Cassese and Billy Taylor both come to mind.

As mentioned above it's unlikely Joe hasn't known about this for quite sometime. Hopefully he's done his homework. And now that the world knows he can move on his prime candidates.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:22 pm

I wouldn't hold the W-L record of Cecchini at Valpo against him. That was a dumpster fire when he went there. If you look at the last couple years he really made VU competitive, with their first winning season in decades. This year's did go 2-9, but they were in most of their games as opposed to the proverbial blowouts that existed for years before his arrival. They lost to NEC Champ Duquesne by two points. Check Fred Dunlap's record during his first five years, here. It takes a long time to make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

So, I think, if he's interested, DC should get a close look. However, this does not mean we shouldn't look at some other guys out there currently coordinators at FBS or FCS schools. Folmar, who had HC experience at DII Kutztown, and a decent run here as OC, is another thought. Gilmore is a good defensive coach. Did a great job when here, but I am not sure about being an HC. Thacker of Temple would be an interesting option to consider, though that might depend more on the 'route' he plans to take, i.e. FCS or trying to move up in the FBS world. I heard that the AD's office had 'numerous' inquiries about applying within hours of the announcement. Despite all the grousing we hear, Lehigh is a great destination for a lot of people.
GoLU90

Post by GoLU90 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:34 am

So I have been told a name from someone I trust and someone who has the connections to know what's going on at Lehigh. However, some quick research tells me this would be a huge get for Lehigh. Perhaps too big to be real. I'm going to refrain from posting his name because I can't say for sure, I don't want to get my source in any trouble, and I don't want to jeopardize anything for Lehigh or this coach.

I will say he is currently an OC with connections to this area, but not to Lehigh. His name has not been mentioned here yet. So it is not Higgins or Stambaugh (or Ron Jean. I guess I'm the only one who wanted to see Ron back at Goodman. He is a wellness coach now :lol: ).

Hopefully we know soon. I hate to be that guy who holds back but at least it's something. I know people have been speculating about past coaches and wondering whether Lehigh would go offense or defense. On the off chance the info. I gave is enough for someone to guess the name, I won't be confirming or denying any names ;) .