Coach watch

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Re: Coach watch

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:21 pm

TMH wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:06 pm I'm not sure how the thread evolved to this but here is my nagging questions about lights.
Why does anyone think that lights will attract students to go over the mountain on a Saturday night with restrictive tailgating regulations?
Lafayette has the advantage of a stadium right on campus (the disadvantage being limited parking.

Does anyone think that older alumni are more or less likely to drive an hour or two to watch a game that may not be over until 10:00?

I know my Penn State friends detest night games.

Are the few locals (outside the Southside Boosters) who prefer to watch Lehigh football on television be more swayed to come to a game at night? The beauty of day games for me is that I still have my nights free for other events.

I'm a cost/benefit guy. Other than the potential to host playoff games, I don't see a real benefit to merit the cost of this particular project. Just my opinion.
You wouldn't have to play games completely at night. Having a 5 PM kickoff in September would be nice! Lights would open up more flexibility come playoff time. There's 12 P.M. kickoffs this weekend but that wasn't the case in the opening round. Plus, with overtime and such they're needed for late season games. I also think it would give the stadium more flexibility throughout the year. Without lights the stadiums "functionable" use is drastically cut. Technically by 50% or so....

Another coaching topic, JMU's Mike Houston is headed to FBS cellar dweller Charlotte. He won't be leading the Dukes against Colgate on Saturday.

RichH

Post by RichH » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:36 pm

I am for lights. Not a prohibitive cost. The ability to have a flexible sched option big reason. If it brings more students , great.

owl
Saw the bit on Houston. Odd timing. Thought it was unclear when he would move. There was confirmation??
van

Post by van » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:41 pm

timing is probably dictated by the early signing day we have now

as to lights, late afternoon kick offs in Sept or even early Oct would be nice and of course the ability to host a playoff game (wishful thinking for now, LOL)
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:50 pm

i would see the first 4 weekends of the season games being at 7:30 PM avoiding the heat. the Next 4 weekends, 4:00 PM, the final 4 weekends 12:30 PM. (OK next year, and in 2024+2025 there are 13 weekends-Labor Day Saturday to Lehi Laf day)

Sept-October is the best time of the year to be outdoors:hiking biking-golfing (in my case kayaking). working outside the house, etc. Leave us face it, the Lehigh Valley is just not the night life capital of the East, might as well do something outside in the day, then football at night.

Yeah, I can see PSU fans not being really excited about a night game in late November.

So you have got older alumni not wanting to drive at night, and the administration not wanting kids to party.

I have to think if LU were to commit to lights, we could get Steel FC back, until they commit to building there own stupid
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:13 pm

When Steel FC moved into Goodman, the press release stated an intent to build their own facility elsewhere in the Valley, but they might consider staying if the facility pleases them. The current Release (the one that started a thread 3-4 weeks ago) seems to indicate they are happy with everything at Goodman except no lights. Although being in the facility of their parent might be practical, it still seems they would like to be in LV. The best way to do that is to contribute to lighting

2000 lighted parking spots already exist around Stabler. They are not exactly as bright as the playing field. Add lighting for another 3,000-3,500 cars near Stabler. The walkway to Goodman, goes right behind the Field Hockey Stadium. Use those poles to light the walkway. Not a big expense beyond the stadium lights. Light the parking area between the Locker-rooms and I-78. Allow the students to park there.

Students should be allowed to park and party in their parking area from 2-3 hours before the game. All night, until about noon Sunday. Make sure there is a campus cop stationed there all night`
RichH

Post by RichH » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:35 pm

Since LU wants permanent lighting for parking and walkways, the expense is substantial. According to LU that cost is the deal breaker for lighting Goodman.
Mobile spots are cheaper and will light the same areas. I've seen them at State Fairs, High School games and outdoor concerts.
RichH

Post by RichH » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:07 pm

Houston statement. He hasnt accepted offer. He is coaching vs Gate.

Rich brings up another good point. Would be nice if Steel came back but in any event lights do provide perhaps another avenue for revenue for other sporting events.
Marco

Post by Marco » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:25 pm

RichH

Post by RichH » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:58 pm

Absolutely agreed. Nothing says we cant make it even better :D
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:20 pm

Despite the fact I'm one of the younger, older alums, we're not the future: students are.

Ask them what times are better.

Do some homework. As a businessman committed to a sustainable football business model, I don't care what guys who won't be coming to games in 10 or 15 years think. I want to snag folks who will come for the next 50 years.

Times change.