Andy Coen has retired

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
CHIP72

Re: Andy Coen has retired

Post by CHIP72 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:56 am

I'm so sorry to hear about Coen's disease and forced retirement. He did a lot of good things during his tenure at Lehigh. I wish him and his family the best as he deals with his awful health situation.

Marco

Post by Marco » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:35 pm

Our thoughts are with Coach Coen and his family.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:00 pm

Sundayamqb wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:24 am I'm impressed by AC's public revelation of his health issues. It shows a lot of guts and ends the rumors that have been flying for months. I hope the university has some kind of long-term disability plan he can tap into; regardless, hopefully we can rally around him and his family.

Let's keep AC in our thoughts and prayers.

I'm with others who think the university needs a bold change. My candidates would have these traits and more:

Character -- and ability to convince young men that's what football and an LU education is about, because it's how life should be played.

Collaboration -- the new coach must energize the LU community by engaging with them everywhere to generate support. The coach must be able to prove his case for the necessary resources (assistant pay and bennies, stadium enhancements, whatever else is needed) to turn this into a dynasty program with increasing attendance. Great connections are needed to recruit top academic players, assistants and other staff.

Football IQ: Important. I'd like a Higgins type who can rejuvenate and rebuild a program and leave in a few years, but plan succession of assistants so the success can continue. I see none now.

Cecc and Gilmore: I see them as assistant head coaches LU should try and attract back to lead O and D. Their resumes as head coaches leave a lot to be desired. They should team up to get LU into the NCAA quarterfinals so they can rebuild their resumes to get another head coaching job -- here (when the top guy moves on in a few years) or somewhere else in FCS.

One more thought: About a year ago I saw a strategic plan a university put together for its struggling football program. If LU doesn't have one, it should create one and share with the community. If it has one, it should be shared.
Can't disagree with many of the qualities we should be looking for. However, the type of person you seem to be yearning for may be well beyond our budget. I think someone like Cecchini, who has spent a lot of time with very successful programs and coaches (such as Higgins, here, and up at Harvard, and back, again with Higgins at The Citadel, and then back here for that great four year run) has the ability to do what we need. His W-L at Valpo cannot be worrisome. He went there for the purpose of getting HC experience, because Andy was only 49 and appeared to set for the next 15 years or so, here. From all accounts, he performed well at Valpo and made them competitive. Look how long it took Dunlap to turn Lehigh's dumpster fire into a winning program--6 years. In my mind, Dunlap did a HOF type job in getting started what has turned into one of the winningest small college programs in the country over the pat 50 years. Finally, being a Lehigh alum might just make it more than "a job" that someone else may view.
mookie

Post by mookie » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:15 am

The Cecchini crowd has been lingering ever since he left Lehigh, mumbling and grumbling that he was responsible for Lehigh's success and that Andy had no business being the head coach. Now despite the reality of his poor record at Valpo they're clamoring for him to come back. Let's hope they're ignored and Lehigh's next hire isn't a retread.
lfnadmin

Post by lfnadmin » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:29 am

Remembering Andy Coen's Time As Head Coach As He Steps Down as Lehigh Football Head Coach To Address Health Issue

https://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.c ... -head.html

No stranger to adversity, Andy Coen facing his toughest battle yet - The Morning Call

https://www.mcall.com/sports/college/mc ... story.html
RichH

Post by RichH » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:05 am

Well done LFN. The 13 year journey of 2 men. A Lehigh family dealing with an almost overwhelming fact. Thanks.
lu90

Post by lu90 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:28 am

mookie wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:15 am The Cecchini crowd has been lingering ever since he left Lehigh, mumbling and grumbling that he was responsible for Lehigh's success and that Andy had no business being the head coach. Now despite the reality of his poor record at Valpo they're clamoring for him to come back. Let's hope they're ignored and Lehigh's next hire isn't a retread.
Offensively, and in my opinion, he was very crucial in those few years he was here. 2009 - (4-7); 2010-2013 (39-9); 2014 (3-8) And I posted this before...

...In the 4 years prior to his (Cecchini) arrival, Valpo was 3-41. They were not competitive to say the least. A 15-29 record going into this season is a substantial improvement. From what I can see, last seasons 6-5 record was their first winning record since 2003.

A closer look at scores from prior to his arrival to now indicate a much more competitive team is being put on the field. Prior to his arrival, Valpo lost to Butler 72-12 (2013) and Jacksonville 86-7 (2012), both of those teams have been beat by Valpo in the last couple years.

That being said, I am sure there are plenty of great and possibly much better candidates they are considering, but to dismiss him just because he is a "retread" or an alumni is a bit ridiculous.
RichH

Post by RichH » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:07 am

lu90 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:28 am
mookie wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:15 am The Cecchini crowd has been lingering ever since he left Lehigh, mumbling and grumbling that he was responsible for Lehigh's success and that Andy had no business being the head coach. Now despite the reality of his poor record at Valpo they're clamoring for him to come back. Let's hope they're ignored and Lehigh's next hire isn't a retread.
Offensively, and in my opinion, he was very crucial in those few years he was here. 2009 - (4-7); 2010-2013 (39-9); 2014 (3-8) And I posted this before...

...In the 4 years prior to his (Cecchini) arrival, Valpo was 3-41. They were not competitive to say the least. A 15-29 record going into this season is a substantial improvement. From what I can see, last seasons 6-5 record was their first winning record since 2003.

A closer look at scores from prior to his arrival to now indicate a much more competitive team is being put on the field. Prior to his arrival, Valpo lost to Butler 72-12 (2013) and Jacksonville 86-7 (2012), both of those teams have been beat by Valpo in the last couple years.

That being said, I am sure there are plenty of great and possibly much better candidates they are considering, but to dismiss him just because he is a "retread" or an alumni is a bit ridiculous.
+1
As I said earlier, the only downside may be relearning schollie recruiting.
TMH

Post by TMH » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:43 am

You can tell we are in a sorta off-season :-)

Did you know that Valpo plays a Div 2 or 3 team every year. Consider removing those stats. The winning season included a win over Trinity International University.
Valpo also gave up 35.9 ppg last year including the Div 2 team (they lost to Truman 34-20), slightly more than Lehigh and we had an FBS school on our schedule.

We won't win consistently without a real focus on defense. I'm just not sure that Dave brings that to the table. But with that said, I will support and rally around whomever we eventually bring in.
RichH

Post by RichH » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:48 am

TMH wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:43 am You can tell we are in a sorta off-season :-)

Did you know that Valpo plays a Div 2 or 3 team every year. Consider removing those stats. The winning season included a win over Trinity International University.
Valpo also gave up 35.9 ppg last year including the Div 2 team (they lost to Truman 34-20), slightly more than Lehigh and we had an FBS school on our schedule.

We won't win consistently without a real focus on defense. I'm just not sure that Dave brings that to the table. But with that said, I will support and rally around whomever we eventually bring in.
The best HC is the goal with the caveat that our D is our greatest need. Whatever needs to be done must be a central issue going forward.