Andy Coen has retired

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Re: Andy Coen has retired

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:30 pm

rayric wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:48 pm Andy is a nice guy, and I wish him the best in his fight. Kudos to Joe and the Lehigh Admins on making the right decision. The program can now move forwards.
I feel like Sterrett handled this horrible set of circumstances in the same manner as the Tennessee administration with Pat Summit. He was given the chance to coach this year with considerable help from the assistant coaches in an attempt to defend the back-2-back championship and get the wins record. Even though the season was a disappointment, in hindsight Coen deserved that opportunity.

The Lehigh community has always rallied around Brett Snyder and his family. I expect they'll do the same for Coen.

RichH

Post by RichH » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:48 pm

Go Lehigh TU Owl wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:30 pm
rayric wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:48 pm Andy is a nice guy, and I wish him the best in his fight. Kudos to Joe and the Lehigh Admins on making the right decision. The program can now move forwards.
I feel like Sterrett handled this horrible set of circumstances in the same manner as the Tennessee administration with Pat Summit. He was given the chance to coach this year with considerable help from the assistant coaches in an attempt to defend the back-2-back championship and get the wins record. Even though the season was a disappointment, in hindsight Coen deserved that opportunity.

The Lehigh community has always rallied around Brett Snyder and his family. I expect they'll do the same for Coen.
Damn Kev. You absolutly nailed it perfectly. Thanks. You should post this on AGS for the Lehigh guys who dont stop by here. They need to read this also.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:29 pm

Go Lehigh TU Owl wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:30 pm

+1 Likely so. Excellent thought.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:24 am

I'm impressed by AC's public revelation of his health issues. It shows a lot of guts and ends the rumors that have been flying for months. I hope the university has some kind of long-term disability plan he can tap into; regardless, hopefully we can rally around him and his family.

Let's keep AC in our thoughts and prayers.

I'm with others who think the university needs a bold change. My candidates would have these traits and more:

Character -- and ability to convince young men that's what football and an LU education is about, because it's how life should be played.

Collaboration -- the new coach must energize the LU community by engaging with them everywhere to generate support. The coach must be able to prove his case for the necessary resources (assistant pay and bennies, stadium enhancements, whatever else is needed) to turn this into a dynasty program with increasing attendance. Great connections are needed to recruit top academic players, assistants and other staff.

Football IQ: Important. I'd like a Higgins type who can rejuvenate and rebuild a program and leave in a few years, but plan succession of assistants so the success can continue. I see none now.

Cecc and Gilmore: I see them as assistant head coaches LU should try and attract back to lead O and D. Their resumes as head coaches leave a lot to be desired. They should team up to get LU into the NCAA quarterfinals so they can rebuild their resumes to get another head coaching job -- here (when the top guy moves on in a few years) or somewhere else in FCS.

One more thought: About a year ago I saw a strategic plan a university put together for its struggling football program. If LU doesn't have one, it should create one and share with the community. If it has one, it should be shared.
mookie

Post by mookie » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:47 am

Yes very sad but it has been known for some time, hardly a secret. Just will never understand why he was allowed to coach this past year?
RichH

Post by RichH » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:59 am

mookie

Read owl's post . That is why.
mookie

Post by mookie » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:18 am

Fair enough, yes I do understand. Thank you.
rayric

Post by rayric » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:58 am

Guys
My understanding is that the university is planning to keep Andy active in some capacity in the football program. This shows that Lehigh is truly a class act. Again kudos again to Joe and his staff
Hawktalker

Post by Hawktalker » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:41 am

I wonder now, even if only Andy and Joe knew it, that they went into this season with the understanding this was going to be Andy's last year.
I'm sure they had higher aspirations and did not foresee a 3-8 record. They probably hoped Andy would go out as Lehigh's winningest coach with another post season appearance.
Whatever, the matter was handled with class and compassion befitting the man and the university.
CHIP72

Post by CHIP72 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:53 am

Hawktalker wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:41 am I wonder now, even if only Andy and Joe knew it, that they went into this season with the understanding this was going to be Andy's last year.
I'm sure they had higher aspirations and did not foresee a 3-8 record. They probably hoped Andy would go out as Lehigh's winningest coach with another post season appearance.
Whatever, the matter was handled with class and compassion befitting the man and the university.
I suspect Coen's impending retirement was part of the reason why the team played so hard in the Lafayette game. I wonder if he told the team about his retirement, including possibly the reasons behind it, before that game.