The Official "Who Will Be The Next Lehigh Head Coach?" Thread

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
Sundayamqb

Re: The Official "Who Will Be The Next Lehigh Head Coach?" Thread

Post by Sundayamqb » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:14 pm

Go Lehigh TU Owl wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:17 pm
I've been tracking the JMU opening from a bit of a distance and i'd argue the names being tossed around for the Lehigh opening are better. If nothing else, just as good. This is a great job in FCS football!

[/quote]

One would have to think JMU is a much better opportunity. Harrisonburg is a pretty nice city with a beautiful backdrop and (government-backed) facilities, athletic and otherwise, that put Lehigh's to shame. JMU's stadium is almost worthy of BCS.

But LU could be a great job in FCS if the administration is willing to keep academic standards high and spend some dough on facilities and marketing to students.

Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:44 am

Sundayamqb wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:14 pm
I've been tracking the JMU opening from a bit of a distance and i'd argue the names being tossed around for the Lehigh opening are better. If nothing else, just as good. This is a great job in FCS football!
One would have to think JMU is a much better opportunity. Harrisonburg is a pretty nice city with a beautiful backdrop and (government-backed) facilities, athletic and otherwise, that put Lehigh's to shame. JMU's stadium is almost worthy of BCS.

But LU could be a great job in FCS if the administration is willing to keep academic standards high and spend some dough on facilities and marketing to students.
[/quote]

The JMU gig you have one goal, win and win big. Their fan base at this point think they're NDSU's #1 challenger. The Lehigh job offers you an opportunity to actually lead a program. Not be some hired gun to simply steer a ship.

A coach can succeed at Lehigh at a high level and won't be run out of town for a bad season or two. Lehigh has very good facilities. Plus, the administration cares. The Lafayette game is a huge selling point because it keeps people engaged. There's also a ton of a really good recruits within a stones throw the campus. No one can deny the built-in PL hurdles but every coaching job its share of obstacles. If it's not the AI or lack of red shirting it's lack of money or administration apathy.

It's the best job in the PL and I really don't think it's close. That alone makes it a highly attractive gig at the FCS level.
datruph

Post by datruph » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:41 am

checcini...
StablerBum

Post by StablerBum » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:08 am

I would be shocked if we have a budget to hire a Golden or Cramsey. Keep in mind, we need also make the assistants position attractive, too, if the new coach is going to be able to bring in those he wants.
According to http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salarie ... /assistant, Cramsey made $210k this year as OC for Marshall, including up to $35k in incentives. Likely more than Lehigh paid Coen, but also not crazy to think Lehigh would pay $225-250k for a head coach. That seems pretty market rate for legitimate FCS programs.
Marco

Post by Marco » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:15 am

As interested in who the new head man will be as I am, I will reiterate what I have said numerous times: "We need a competent defensive coordinator".

Andy won when he had good coordinators, and was ordinary when he did not have them.

It's an inconvenient truth.
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:38 am

In regard to the drum beat for a good defensive coordinator, that's the key to being a leader in any complex organization. Top leaders know how to hire, teach, and motivate good assistants. In college football, how much one on one everyday coaching does the HC actually have time to do anyway? He better have good assistants from the coordinators on down.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:58 am

I must say I like Cramsey's national experience. Having a LV connection might make it attractive to him. As with Trisciani, I don't thing "being" from the LV is all that important because we can hardly recruit here due to the admissions standards, and the few really top athletes WITH excellent academics will go to Duke, Stanford, or the Ivies. The 'pond' had gotten much wider, but shallower. So someone with the ability and organizational skils to recruit on a broad scale is important. It is my supposition that the U is paying Santoro over $200K, so maybe we are in the ballpark....
van

Post by van » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:41 pm

StablerBum wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:08 am
I would be shocked if we have a budget to hire a Golden or Cramsey. Keep in mind, we need also make the assistants position attractive, too, if the new coach is going to be able to bring in those he wants.
According to http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salarie ... /assistant, Cramsey made $210k this year as OC for Marshall, including up to $35k in incentives. Likely more than Lehigh paid Coen, but also not crazy to think Lehigh would pay $225-250k for a head coach. That seems pretty market rate for legitimate FCS programs.
Lehigh Valley vs Huntington WV, where would I rather live? hmmmm
guids

Post by guids » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:42 pm

Sundayamqb wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:14 pm

[/quote]
Football scoop had couple big time names today for JMU. Maine head guy, NC State asst head coach and Texas WR coach

http://footballscoop.com/news/update-ja ... ng-search/
RichH

Post by RichH » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:11 pm

A new factor in the mix. Cignetti just hired by JMU. Do his coordinators go also?