And the Head Coach Clock restarts. Tick-Tock....

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
Shadow1

Re: And the Head Coach Clock restarts. Tick-Tock....

Post by Shadow1 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:32 pm

The financial resources are not there to install lights, add to the roster, and do the other things necessary unless funded totally externally and, perhaps, not even then. The University and JS have other priorities than Athletics.

TMH

Post by TMH » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:50 pm

As fans , we tend to define our expectations differently than the University. Although Dr. Simon is a very big Lehigh sports fan. We had a nice conversation this year about Lehigh finding areas to excel in and although he strongly agree on the idea, he was pretty frank in saying that it probably won't come from athletics.
I'll guess that's because the amount of money some schools, especially the big state schools allocate to athletics has become pretty near insane. That, however, is not to say that the University doesn't wants to remain or become more competitive within their level of competition. I suppose it means that we need to better define what our expectations should be.
RichH

Post by RichH » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:34 pm

Shadow1 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:32 pm The financial resources are not there to install lights, add to the roster, and do the other things necessary unless funded totally externally and, perhaps, not even then. The University and JS have other priorities than Athletics.
True enough. We cannot afford all that we want. That does not preclude taking some steps forward. Also accurate that the University has more important priorities than football.
Most of what we need is not under our control. That resides with the PL Until then, there is not much that can be done. Updating Goodman would be great. We all realize that could only happen with alumni funding.
Right now only one priority.
Hire a new HC. Thats it.
Review our expectations for the football program?
See no reason to do that. My expectation is that we must try to be the best postible program we can be.
National relevance is I believe achievable. We have been there before, we can be back there again. We can be one of the best in the PL.
Under current PL rules, we cant expect to succeed every year nationally. A national title.
Within our current framework, it is difficult to build deep rosters or get many of the best athletes. But, we can still aim to be competitive. Reaching the playoffs and getting a W or 2 may be the most we can hope for.I do not want to see us become Harvard and schedule a cupcake OOC every year just so we can make believe we are a good football program.
Last edited by RichH on Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lehigh4Life

Post by Lehigh4Life » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:36 pm

News wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:45 pm We may have an eleventh-hour candidate:
Care to elaborate??
RichH

Post by RichH » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:42 pm

On topic, Friday has come and gone. The click continues.
Lehigh4Life

Post by Lehigh4Life » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:21 pm

Anyone hearing that the choice was made, but the insistence by Joe to keep the Offensive Staff in tact is the sticking point? That's what I'm hearing.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:27 pm

Sounds a bit strange to me. Questionable scuttlebutt.
RichH

Post by RichH » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:42 pm

Well it fits with he wants a D minded coach. But, that seems an unusual requirement to pose to a prospective HC.
And who exactly sood out among the O coaches. Hard question to ask given all the extra issues thrown at the staff.
Brisson an excellent recruiter and WR/QB coach. At best an incomplete as OC.
Bandy brand new for us but very good resume. Seems like a good recruiter Incomplete.
Cuevas. No very little about him. Incomplete
McGorry Very good WR coach.
Ford Brand new. Not sure exactly what he does regardless of title. Great at OL. Very active recruiter.
As a staff they may be good given a fairer chance. Dont see enough here to make it a deal breaker but obviously know next to nothing about the challeges they faced.
JimLU81

Post by JimLU81 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:58 pm

While I do not know the answer to that question, my guess would be that some coaches will be retained. It would be wise to look at the “Full Time” Coaches. Brisson, Bandy, McGorry, Sutyak, Roberts, and Kashurba. The “Restricted Coaches” Ward, Reisig, Ford, and Cuevas. I want to start this by saying I have 0 knowledge this is just my opinion.

I think 2-3 “full time” coaches stay and 3-4 “full time” coaches are let go... I have heard rumblings of Donnie Roberts being moved to an administrator position as well.

The “restricted coaches” those guys move all the time because they are low paying jobs and essentially stepping stones. I wouldn’t be surprised if a few of them aren’t already gone for better jobs. You can assume Ford and Ward will be retained if they want to be as they are alums.

I absolutely do not think that their will be entire new coaching staff here.. Before we get too out of control I do want to remind people on here that these assistant coaches have families and some of them are going to lose there jobs in a week or so, while it is part of the profession let’s make sure we understand that before we go on a tirade of who should or shouldn’t lose there job.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:03 pm

logically, why would the announcement be done at the time traditionally used to release bad news. like someone in gov't being forced to retire